Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Quality of Chinese Restaurants In Ipoh Dropped

views

TSryder_78
post Apr 2 2024, 03:38 PM, updated 7d ago

Regular
1,564 posts

Visited Ipoh town last Saturday and had breakfast and lunch at two seemingly popular restaurants. Breakfast at Paris (Hakka mee) Restaurant and lunch at Restoran Ipoh Kong Heng (supposed to be at Thean Chun just beside Kong Heng but the place was packed like sardines).

Long story short, I find most restaurants in Klang Valley to serve much better food than Ipoh nowadays. The last time we had dim sum at Foh San restaurant, that was the last time we will be visiting Foh San as the food was really terrible. This time we tried the small restaurants around town which received much great praise on the internet and blogs when we typed "Good Food in Ipoh" but unfortunately, that's really not the case. The packed environment at Kong Heng was also not welcome, with many people squeezing around with the hot and humid weather even inside the restaurant with fan blowing. Not a nice place to have a decent meal and food was just so-so. We had "sar hor fun" and prawn mee where both were below average. The only decent food we had was rojak but Klang Valley served better ones.

I was just wondering, are there really any good restaurants in Ipoh town serving good food other than chee cheong fun? Would appreciate some enlightenment from local Ipoh people. ps. my parents are from Ipoh but migrated to Klang Valley about 50 years ago. We still visit Ipoh yearly for Ching Ming festival.

This post has been edited by ryder_78: Apr 2 2024, 03:41 PM
TSryder_78
post Apr 2 2024, 03:48 PM

Regular
1,564 posts

Also, a short note about overall feel of Ipoh town. Even on the weekends I noticed there are very few people around town, rather quiet. There is a severe lack of tourist this time round. The town looked pretty dead. The tourist "areas" are mostly at Kong Heng restaurant but that place too is rather dead with not many people.

Previously Ipoh town was rather busy with tourists from Singapore and other places flocking to the centre of town having lunch and buying biscuits from the shops around the localised area. But this time, it's looking really quiet with not many tourists. I presume Melaka and Penang are doing much better in this respect.

This post has been edited by ryder_78: Apr 2 2024, 03:50 PM
empire
post Apr 11 2024, 11:41 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,502 posts

Ipoh food is fast losing its reputation as good street food. The best street Food in Malaysia is now in KLANG VALLEY.
TSryder_78
post Apr 12 2024, 04:24 PM

Regular
1,564 posts

QUOTE(empire @ Apr 11 2024, 11:41 PM)
Ipoh food is fast losing its reputation as good street food. The best street Food in Malaysia is now in KLANG VALLEY.
Yes, Klang Valley truly has all the great street food, don't need to drive all the way up to Ipoh or even Penang or anywhere else. It's all here in central Klang Valley.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0125sec    0.43    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:47 AM