Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Nexigo Aurora Pro - Ask Me Almost Anything, Fielding questions about the Nexigo

views

TSwritesimply
post Mar 1 2024, 03:20 PM, updated 2d ago

Enthusiast
856 posts

So I had helped setup a HT system for the office. For video, we've installed the Nexigo Aurora Pro and their own 120" fresnel screen.

The basic info:
- Dolby Vision works. HDR10+ is not, but Nexigo is working on it they said.
- 3D works very well. The projector bundle came with two pairs of 3D glasses.
- Audio from the unit is nothing to shout about. So if you want big sound to go with the big picture, get a home theater or a beefy soundbar.
- Native Android on the unit is not something we'll be using. We are using the Shield Pro instead.
- 4K 60Hz is max. 60Hz video plays fine. Haven't tried gaming yet. No issues so far on non-gaming content.
- HDMI CEC works fine. We can use the Shield remote to turn on everything.
- The fresnel screen has a tight viewing angle. Off axis, the picture will look washout. On axis, the picture is amazing even in daylight.
- A PC connected to the projector will automatically detect its 4K capability. But the scaling is set automatically to 100%, which is crazy small for the icons and web browsers.

Price for the projector and screen is RM20,000, more or less. If you have space and the budget for it, it's something to consider.
TSwritesimply
post Mar 8 2024, 03:40 PM

Enthusiast
856 posts

Daylight viewing.

user posted image
From RTMKlik off the NVidia Shield Pro.

user posted image
From Netflix's Full Circle doc.

user posted image
From Disney+ Hotstar's Ms. Marvel Episode 4. This scene has no posterization/banding in the sky.

Bottom right corner light pollution comes from sunlight bouncing off the floor. Since it's an ALR screen, this can't be helped unless we install curtains. With bright scenes, it's minimal.
Turnip
post Jun 11 2024, 05:32 PM

bonjour beau là-bas
1,109 posts

im surprised nobody replied to this thread,

i was looking out considering whether to go for Formovie Theatre or this one. Cant find it from Lazada or Shopee or any local re-sellers

How much was the damage? and what CLR screen was used?

Replacing my 75inch QLED screen which are giving me these line artifacts

Anyway i thought this Nexigo supports 120hz refresh rates?

Or issit one of those fake MEMC . Cheers mate
TSwritesimply
post Jun 12 2024, 02:30 PM

Enthusiast
856 posts

QUOTE(Turnip @ Jun 11 2024, 05:32 PM)
im surprised nobody replied to this thread,
Well not everyone wants a projector. And most rightly think that it won't be bright enough or would take a while to power on. Those worries are of course got nothing to do with laser UST projectors.

As you can see in the pictures above, it's bright enough for daytime viewing. Just don't intentionally place the screen in direct sunlight. cool2.gif

i was looking out considering whether to go for Formovie Theatre or this one. Cant find it from Lazada or Shopee or any local re-sellers
Neither Formovie nor Nexigo has local distributors. We were looking at a UST for the lounge and Formovie specifically as early as 2022 during the ID planning. Last year decided on the Nexigo due to its fast support on AVS Forum, apart from its feature set.

How much was the damage? and what CLR screen was used?
The Aurora Pro was bought during the Black Friday promotions back in November last year. It was USD$2,499. For the BF combo, its the PJ and the Nexigo 120" ALR fresnel screen (USD$1,299); They throw in a pair (2) of 3D glasses. The advantage of the Aurora Pro over the FM Theater is the ability to do 3D; it handles 3D very well too.

Nexigo will not ship directly to Malaysia. They can ship to Singapore though. Payment is through PayPal. For ours, it was shipped to HK because we knew people there. I don't know the details about the import tax but just be prepared to pay 6-10%.

Oof. Sorry about your loss. Do be careful about UST and its screens, if you have cats or dogs, or children under 7. They might damage the very expensive screen.

Anyway i thought this Nexigo supports 120hz refresh rates?

Or issit one of those fake MEMC . Cheers mate

As far as I know, no 4K UST projectors currently support 120Hz refresh rates. They can accept video input of 120Hz but not display them. The reason is all of them are using 1080p DMD chips with pixel shifting tech. Using pixel shifting can give you great 4K 60Hz image, but 120Hz is simply not feasible for pixel shifting.

There are native 4K projectors but none are USTs. Even Epson's EpiqVision Ultra LS800B that uses 3 LCD panels and costs USD$3,500 make do with pixel shifting. The Aurora Pro use DMD panels.

MEMC works to render 24/25/30 fps video to double that. Though we don't use MEMC.

Gaming at 60Hz works well. Minor lag.

Skylinestar
post Jun 12 2024, 03:09 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,143 posts

QUOTE(Turnip @ Jun 11 2024, 05:32 PM)

LG?

This post has been edited by Skylinestar: Jun 12 2024, 03:09 PM
Turnip
post Jun 12 2024, 04:32 PM

bonjour beau là-bas
1,109 posts

QUOTE(writesimply @ Jun 12 2024, 02:30 PM)
Well not everyone wants a projector. And most rightly think that it won't be bright enough or would take a while to power on. Those worries are of course got nothing to do with laser UST projectors.

As you can see in the pictures above, it's bright enough for daytime viewing. Just don't intentionally place the screen in direct sunlight.  cool2.gif

Neither Formovie nor Nexigo has local distributors. We were looking at a UST for the lounge and Formovie specifically as early as 2022 during the ID planning. Last year decided on the Nexigo due to its fast support on AVS Forum, apart from its feature set.

The Aurora Pro was bought during the Black Friday promotions back in November last year. It was USD$2,499. For the BF combo, its the PJ and the Nexigo 120" ALR fresnel screen (USD$1,299); They throw in a pair (2) of 3D glasses. The advantage of the Aurora Pro over the FM Theater is the ability to do 3D; it handles 3D very well too.

Nexigo will not ship directly to Malaysia. They can ship to Singapore though. Payment is through PayPal. For ours, it was shipped to HK because we knew people there. I don't know the details about the import tax but just be prepared to pay 6-10%.

Oof. Sorry about your loss. Do be careful about UST and its screens, if you have cats or dogs, or children under 7. They might damage the very expensive screen.

As far as I know, no 4K UST projectors currently support 120Hz refresh rates. They can accept video input of 120Hz but not display them. The reason is all of them are using 1080p DMD chips with pixel shifting tech. Using pixel shifting can give you great 4K 60Hz image, but 120Hz is simply not feasible for pixel shifting.

There are native 4K projectors but none are USTs. Even Epson's EpiqVision Ultra LS800B that uses 3 LCD panels and costs USD$3,500 make do with pixel shifting. The Aurora Pro use DMD panels.

MEMC works to render 24/25/30 fps video to double that. Though we don't use MEMC.

Gaming at 60Hz works well. Minor lag.
I see, so there's no 4K & 120hz native UST projectors yet

1) What's your plan if the Nexigo ran into a problem and for warranty purpose , since you bought it online?

2) How was the Dolby Vision and the HDR+ performance? im not expecting OLED performance, maybe the same or near my current Qled, hopefully i finish setup the UST Proj at least this year before the new season of Stranger Things comes up.

Oh and for money saving purpose and to be realistic, i was thinking to purchase the Nexigo Aur first and shoot onto a white wall , the space for my living are away from windows, wonder if that helps. And later if it really bothers me i'll fork up an ALR.

QUOTE(Skylinestar @ Jun 12 2024, 03:09 PM)
LG?
Xiaomi QLED TV MI TV Q175

If im not mistaken it's that one

Got one horizontal line on top edge of TV, very distinctive.
and my tv suddenly got white horizontal gaps on the whole right half of the screen, need to be near to see. Bought it on 2021, not even 5 years. Guess not my luck then.

This post has been edited by Turnip: Jun 12 2024, 04:51 PM
TSwritesimply
post Jun 14 2024, 03:13 PM

Enthusiast
856 posts

QUOTE(Turnip @ Jun 12 2024, 04:32 PM)
I see, so there's no 4K & 120hz native UST projectors yet

1) What's your plan if the Nexigo ran into a problem and for warranty purpose , since you bought it online?
We made an account on AVS Forum complaining about their "no shipping to Malaysia" thing. That's how we got to buy one and ship to HK. So they know where this unit went. If things go wrong, we'd have to ship it back to the US. So far, all is good.

2) How was the Dolby Vision and the HDR+ performance? im not expecting OLED performance, maybe the same or near my current Qled, hopefully i finish setup the UST Proj at least this year before the new season of Stranger Things comes up.
Since the new firmware, the DV and HDR+ performance is better. No match for OLED or LCD, but then TV is no match for projectors in terms of size. I think its similar to watching movies in the cinema, except that most halls in Malaysia are not in 4K and HDR.

Oh and for money saving purpose and to be realistic, i was thinking to purchase the Nexigo Aur first and shoot onto a white wall , the space for my living are away from windows, wonder if that helps. And later if it really bothers me i'll fork up an ALR.
If Nexigo makes a bundle during any of the US holidays, I suggest you take up on that. It's not often the 120" is priced like that.

Shooting the image on a white wall, you'll notice how uneven your wall is. The image also doesn't look as bright as LCD TVs; it really does look bright like LCDs in a darkened room. So you'd feel the need to mount an ALR screen pretty fast.

Our AP is on the Ikea cabinet, which requires the screen to be where it needs to be. This is really because with a lounge and so many people, you don't want them to accidentally kick it. But if it's for personal use, I'd put it nearly on the ground so that in your sitting position your eyeline hits directly at the center of the screen without you needing to tilt your head up. Especially if you want to sit less than 2 meters from the screen.

With the current firmware, they took out all the preinstalled Android apps. Mainly because the system is not Netflix certified and most buyers use an external Android device anyway. We got the NVidia Shield Pro.

Obviously, with a big screen you should get big sound. A 9.1 receiver is a good start for a 5.1.4 setup.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0120sec    1.86    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 10:50 AM