Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Tuition centres and 'seminar SPM', tip sebenar, Your opinion

Cloudskyz
post Oct 25 2007, 11:25 AM

Group: Junior Member

Hello I am a student from SMDJ who is sitting for SPM this year. I know i shouldnt be using the com and post now but lately during goverment exam season like pmr and spm, got a lot of tuition centres advertise for thier ceramah dan seminar offering real tips and soalan ramalan accurate. these tuition centres advertiseing budget must be very chun because all these kasturi, perfection, and others are all over the place. I cannot help but wonder whether these tips are really real or only money making propaganda.

My classmates attended a SPM seminar by perfection tuition centre before Hari Raya holidays which is kononnya the biggest spm ceramah, they say only la, i dunno whether really or not. During the seminar, the teachers there say they got real tips and will surely come out but they are not allowed to say where they got tips from. After each subject, the staff there gave out flyers for 'further seminar' which have dates like next week and the week after, very close to spm, promise very good soalan ramalan. My friends said the seminar teachers label them as 'soalan ramalan' and not 'soalan bocor' because scared kena caught. The main ceramah earlier this month is RM170 while the upcoming 'further seminars' are about RM50-80 upwards per subject for a 3 hour class or so depends on subject which I think is expensive. Still many people rush for their ceramah, the main seminar got 2000+ students shocking.gif [shock at the number of kiasu people desperate for 'real tips], who knows how many will sign up for these sub further seminars. The kasturi tuition centre ceramah in august is more toned down than this and never boast so much about 'tip sebenar' thing.

I cannot help but wonder whether all this 'real tips' and their synonyms alike are really credible and will come out or are they just marketing BS to rake in a ton of money but in the end little to none come out. Although I am put off by the price and potential credibility, should I make an effort to attend these seminars for those so-called 'real tips'?

Further investigation (sorry, reading too many bio and chemistry experiments laugh.gif )
1. For the number of people going to the seminars, either there are a bunch of people who trust the tuition centres well or a bunch of stupid fools who are wasting their time and money
2. tuition centre could well be in for the money. take that one seminar by just one tuition centre above for instance, RM170 X 2000 students = ??? rclxub.gif and imagine havent count the sub seminars and other tuition centres.
3. how did the tuition centre manage to get all those so-called real tips as quoted by one of the perfection teachers "from there" (referring to the ministry)? did they, really? or are they just talking crap/added 'extra salt' to their story?
4 as mentioned by some other ppl here, if the questions dont come out, the tuition centres are quick to cover up and said 'last minute change paper'
5. I have always (and still do) doubted tuition centres for their mass, high student-to-teacher ratio but so many people are going, why? There must be something...or nothing?

Any comments unsure.gif ?

Cheers

This post has been edited by Cloudskyz: Oct 25 2007, 11:28 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wenjie86
post Oct 25 2007, 11:31 AM

Casual

hi, well, frankly speaking, these soalan ramalan actually can be done by yourself.

I did my own way back when i was taking SPM biggrin.gif

Well, you see, all the Syllabus in SPM is fixed. If you do past year question a lot of times, you can notice the similar question coming out over all again and again, especially in chemistry. biggrin.gif~

Well, they said from "there" and this you know yourself, we are MALAYSIAN ^^, anything can happen right?

good luck in your SPM biggrin.gif~
+Quote Post
fruitie
post Oct 25 2007, 11:44 AM

Sunshine·阳光灿烂
Group Icon
Group: Staff

My opinion would be because the students themselves are too kiasu that help these seminars to grow like mushrooms after the rain. It's like if A goes for the seminar, B knows and wouldn't want to be left behind, B follows, later C sees and joins, the list goes on. Of course, these seminars will manage to attract hundreds of people at the end of the day, of course only those can afford to attend.
I feel that these seminars are held to earn money, no offence to the goers. They know that those students are stressed about their SPM, and they will take this opportunity to come out with many types of seminars to earn more money, each time different price.
Look at Anderw Choo's tips, I think two years back, there was havoc that the students and parents were so disappointed with his 100% accurate tips because it didn't show 100% accuracy at all in that year's SPM.
To add more, I feel pity to the poorer students who can't attend to these so-called precise seminars, if they are really accurate as they claimed. rolleyes.gif I'm quite sure those speakers are also teachers from schools, they should be dedicated enough to present out in their respective schools for free and for all rather than organising these expensive seminars that will benefit only those can afford.

+Quote Post
giomanach
post Oct 25 2007, 01:57 PM

Casual

I'm taking SPM this year too.
I, too, have doubts about the credibility of these 'ceramahs'.
But I'm not gonna attend any. Besides financial problem, I think it's better that I trust myself and work hard.
Time to hit the books again!
+Quote Post
StraxorX
post Oct 25 2007, 02:01 PM

A lonely Duckling
Group: Senior Member

Well, it said 100% accurate, its just a scam. Sometimes, it gonna be true. SPM seminar is likely to be a gamble.
+Quote Post
GongFuChau
post Oct 25 2007, 07:24 PM

Tomoyo FTW

I heard that last time Kasturi gave some soalan bocor, in the end, that year's students have to resit some papers. LOL
+Quote Post
yukiz
post Oct 25 2007, 08:37 PM

★ ★ ★ ★

if you can afford,then there is not harm to go seminar...normally those teacher that conducted the seminar do have some frends who are either in education department or frends who set the spm exam question...

now-a-days the trend for seminar have change d,on the seminar day,those seminar teachers will ony give some "tips" to the student who had attend niah...if you want to know more bout those "tips",u need to go for their extra-last-minutes-tuition-class...and btw,those extra classes are not cheap...
+Quote Post
purplearch
post Oct 10 2008, 06:17 PM

Group: Validating

so does anyone recommend to go for this year's kasturi/cekap? my friends offer me her notes....so is just whether i want to sit there and listen.

perfection and andrewchoo i give up alredy
+Quote Post
evanesence117
post Oct 10 2008, 07:45 PM

Enthusiast

I do not recommend it, I think some people are merely making a killing out of Malaysian's increasingly kiasu attitude. I think it is a waste of money and time.
+Quote Post
kevlinefm
post Oct 10 2008, 09:13 PM

Getting Started

Actually, these exams seminars are just a way to get students spending unnecesary money. I for one am anti these kinda stuff. Well, as human beings, we will always find a way out to get money. Seminar is a way of making money. Spotting questions is not the way forward. This further proves that our education system is still very reliant on exams, or in other words, our system is toooooooo exam-oriented.

That's why I say, Malaysia's education system is not good enough. It's not the syllabus problem, but it's the implementation that makes our education system weak. Teacher's quality is *insert any positive adjectives and you will feel very inappropriate* and implementation is even *insert the related superlatives*. That's why students opt to spot questions.

Ask yourself what the purpose of studying is, what exams are for. You'll realise it when you reach tetiary education level. This exam seminar will be a joke for you to laugh at because people actually spend money just to get tips.

Someone on this forum suggest that we formulate our own analysis and do more past year questions. Yes, I agree with him/her as studying is a personal thing. If you need someone to analyse what you do, then you have a problem. That means you aren't analytical and wise enough to control your life

Remember, studying is learning and making plans. It is not only about exams. I've been studying in Malaysia all my life and I've to be honest, at any level of education in Malaysia, exams have been too highly regarded that I am so ashamed of our education system. Even in varsity, I am still shocked that students go to lecturers' rooms to get final exams tips! OMG, that's why our university rankings are so poor as we don't even have the correct mindset of real education.

What I say is based on what I've experienced, seen and heard.

Off topic though, I remembered that I used to go tuition to get extra knowledge, whether it's during PMR or SPM or even STPM. At that time, maybe due to my innocence, I was surprised by my tuition teacher giving us (my class) topics to spot and so fourth. But I just only took a look at it and still went ahead with my plans to study the whole syllabus. The subject was Physics by the way.

Actually, if you understand how Science (or science related subjects) works, you just need to experience it, understand the main concept and then read on ways to apply it in real life. And, I can't understand why people would wanna memorise experiments. Don't you do the experiments in school? If yes, you should remember the procedures and apparatus and know how to analyse them! I remember I even created my own experiment (within the syllabus of course) in Physics SPM. Well, maybe I'm wrong because probably Chemistry and Biology experiments are tough but definitely not Physics.

+Quote Post
Zepx
post Oct 10 2008, 11:29 PM

Regular

Good to hear that from kevline.

+Quote Post
purplearch
post Oct 11 2008, 09:36 AM

Group: Validating

another question then.. putting money aside. the seminars will be many hours.. with like 150 people in 1 room.

i might go, to get a summary of subjects like sej, accounts, bio, etc. or should i just study at home instead of wasting hours there? brochure says analyse past year, spot ques, etc etc. my friend is offering me her notes.
+Quote Post
maniac08
post Oct 11 2008, 01:40 PM

Getting Started

Attending ceramah and bengkel is a total waste of time and money. I doubt you score with flying colors by just attending such workshop. You need to be consistent in your revision and studies.
If you have not been studying frequently, there is no point even if you attend the workshop.

Back in my schooling days. i nvr attended such workshop and i still can manage to score straight As in SPM. You can make your own soalan ramalan. The questions in SPM are a series of repetition of the past years series. If you analysis the past year questions carefully, you can see a pattern and you can easily predict the upcoming chapters that are gonna be tested.

Tuition centres do help in our studies especially if we have sucky teachers in school.....I always got the sucky teachers in school .....
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jhong
post Oct 11 2008, 06:15 PM

On my way

below is what i commented in http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/524727/+20 ,
Well...depends , as what i always like to say is , as long as the paper is not infront of you , no one can assure that it's over 50 % . Some of them will say that those tips are 99% or 80% accurate .
Even if they are right , i would say thats only for one question .
Pay 100+ for 1 question in SPM ?

When i was in the SPM year , most of my friends went to this kind of seminar and they even asked me to go . But, i refused .
I believe myself rather than others .

They kept cracking those tips before they go to the exams hall , and i myself read my own notes . What they've read dont even come out , not even 1 question. Actually, my tips is more accurate than them . They'll have like a bunch of tips , and they have to finish it before they sit for the exam but I read only a fews which i think they might come out. Lastly , what've spotted come out . They all then read what i read , borrow my notes .

I wouldnt say its bad to go for the seminar since i think it helps in doing revision and gain more confidence . However , since it deal with money matter , i dont think thats worth it .

They spends quite amount of money for seminar , and i dont spend even 1 cent for that . I rather buy some supplements . Lastly, theirs result is quite about the same with mine.

I am not a smart student thats why i dont get any tuition for my SPM . I dont think tuition will work for me ( i mean i am too slow-witted ) . However , those who is smarter still dont use their advantage but rely on those tips. Who is smarter ? Well ...i would say , i am wiser .
+Quote Post
azarimy
post Oct 11 2008, 07:25 PM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Education Essentials, Architecture
Group: Elite

for those who're curious, this is how it works. it is very simple, really. anyone who had experience in devising an exam paper would know how easy it is.

this is about pattern recognition and a little bit of prediction. look at the topics in a subject. look at how many questions could be devised from that topic. lets take for example a topic can produce 50 questions, and only 5 could be allocated in a year. so there's another 45 questions.

what they do is to take exams from past years and devised a simple table to look at what have been asked, and what havent. from this they can produce a prediction of what topic might come up this year. if they started collecting exam questions since 10 years ago, they would have quite a substantial amount of data to produce a good prediction.

but predictions are just predictions. those people in lembaga peperiksaan knows about the predictions, and they are constantly devising ways to make it more unpredictable. not necessarily making it harder, just to produce random enough questions so that students dont focus only on specific subjects, but rather, to learn all.

so it's a constant battle between lembaga peperiksaan and the tuition centres.
+Quote Post
cutejams2004
post Oct 11 2008, 09:13 PM

~Not Who U Think I Am~

never attended those seminars when i sat for spm..coz i knew it was just a money making scheme for the organisers..pls, my piece of advice, u could rather use the time that ur gonna spend in the seminar studying urself. ull gain more actually.
+Quote Post
cherylwong
post Oct 11 2008, 10:42 PM

My intensive sejarah class teacher said that it is all a scam.
Just a way to attract more students.
He was a part of Kasturi before.
He told us that they will ask their students to spread out such news that there are 'soalan bocor' in seminar classes and in return, they will pay them some money.
He even said that the Kementerian came into Kasturi to search for evidence.
Well, he said that these students who believe these are fools.

Haha, I took SPM in the year 2006 and I did join the perijaya's seminar.
I was so shocked when I went to the seminar hall where there is 2000++ students and they even had to add chairs. There was even lion dance!
Well, the boss is so smart in making money.
First, he had the seminar. Then the special class where they will be discussing in depth and lastly, the 'soalan ramalan'.
But it is true that they have some idea about the numberings of the paper, but not the questions though. They told us that the sejarah paper 2 that year has got 3 sub questions for the first time and that every point is only 1 mark, no longer 2 marks.
I was reluctant to believe but it really did came out 3 sub questions in 1 question. Haha, I guess there is a little truth in it but not all.
LOL! I am so long winded!
+Quote Post
Alexwong246
post Nov 4 2009, 12:48 AM

Group: New Member

ya agree....perfection is a suck centre....i was just taking his BM...perfection was suck.....The Bm teacher won us so many classes cz he always take Mc...Then he say he will pay back on NOV....But we still need to pay RM31 for the class....wtf...This Rm 31 is just for those who take seminar....for those who no take the seminar have to pay Rm63...what the f***ing centre is this??just offer a high price....we pay rm49 for just bm....suck centre la....hope this centre will bankrup soon.....

Any1 Agree??
+Quote Post
frostworld
post Nov 4 2009, 12:58 AM

DD♥BB

But i think that it's not a bad idea to join those seminar things. Just make it as a short and fast recall of those chapters studied.

I went to those seminar last time during my pmr spm. Although not all come out, but then it did help to boost up the confident in a student's life. Thats how i feel.

+Quote Post
chinese-pig
post Nov 4 2009, 01:03 AM

On my way

Depends I guess.

My friend went for Kasturi's and she offers me her notes as well, then I decided to join in Perfection's.

No harm going.
+Quote Post
Shoki
post Nov 4 2009, 10:48 AM

Regular

You still have to read A to Z.

Anyways, sitting down for a few hours will never turn your C/D into A.
+Quote Post
z21j
post Nov 4 2009, 12:27 PM

Enthusiast

i went both cekap and kasturi during my time... their tip... erm... is the topic that u will be expected to be come out in ur exams... meaning they only pick those famous topic, and choose a few not famous topic...

in term of ketepatan... kasturi 50-50 (tips tepat-tips tak tepat)... cekap 35-65... therefore, no1 can guarantee what will come out...

bt, dun listen to certain ppl here... "going seminar cos of kiasu/waste of time or wat..".... SPM is ur only once chance... so, it is recommended to attend seminar; for ur own benefit.

Another advice will be, form a group of 3 of 4 of u... go different seminar, and compare those similarity... it happens in my year; whereby the similarity reli come out..

If I gabung all tips from kasturi, perfection, cekap and 1 more tuition centre in rawang (i 4gotten the name, start with s).... then the reliability tips will be 75-25.

good luck...

#disclaimer... the figure above mentioned is with my personal opinion, nothing to do with real statistic.
+Quote Post
chungdavi
post Nov 4 2009, 02:35 PM

Casual

I remember last time when I was PMR, I went for the seminar at Martin......

1 of the teacher was looking so serious and telling us that he can't show us the questions, but can only tell us which part will be coming out, not even reading the questions.......

Then I went for some so called 'Soalan Ramalan' seminar........
And guess what, only English subject was 'half' accurate, meaning only 1 part they 'ramal' accurately.....

I also heard that some seminars from other tuition center are more accurate something like that.......duh......

I didn't attend even 1 seminar for my SPM......
Cause I think I can depend on my own study......not those so called 'ramalan'......
+Quote Post
z21j
post Nov 4 2009, 03:26 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(chungdavi @ Nov 4 2009, 02:35 PM)
I remember last time when I was PMR, I went for the seminar at Martin......

1 of the teacher was looking so serious and telling us that he can't show us the questions, but can only tell us which part will be coming out, not even reading the questions.......

Then I went for some so called 'Soalan Ramalan' seminar........
And guess what, only English subject was 'half' accurate, meaning only 1 part they 'ramal' accurately.....

I also heard that some seminars from other tuition center are more accurate something like that.......duh......

I didn't attend even 1 seminar for my SPM......
Cause I think I can depend on my own study......not those so called 'ramalan'......
ramalan maybe useful as the guidance for revision/exams. Just like u nit teacher/lecturer to guide u in academic, advisor for u to run gerko...
without ramalan, u may find it difficult when doing revision especially when u lack of time, eventhough it may not come out, but... v r just try luck if the question cum out v vil score...

some ppl lagi pelik, study those part which is not in ramalan- in year 2006, it is the new "study style" for my cousin, he said it works! He said since some many ramalan tak kena, then go for non-ramalan question... (notice that ramalan question has been explained during seminar and no need to do revision again)... i wonder how is the study style of 2009. No need ramalan at all?
+Quote Post
chungdavi
post Nov 4 2009, 03:42 PM

Casual

QUOTE(z21j @ Nov 4 2009, 03:26 PM)
ramalan maybe useful as the guidance for revision/exams. Just like u nit teacher/lecturer to guide u in academic, advisor for u to run gerko...
without ramalan, u may find it difficult when doing revision especially when u lack of time, eventhough it may not come out, but... v r just try luck if the question cum out v vil score...

some ppl lagi pelik, study those part which is not in ramalan- in year 2006, it is the new "study style" for my cousin, he said it works! He said since some many ramalan tak kena, then go for non-ramalan question... (notice that ramalan question has been explained during seminar and no need to do revision again)... i wonder how is the study style of 2009. No need ramalan at all?
But sometimes students will just focus on ramalan parts without studying for other parts....then start blaming the tuition centers....lol....
Might as well just study yourself if that's the case.....

But if the teacher spot the questions based on past year papers, and ask you to study some parts much earlier before the exam, this helps much more than going to seminars of 'ramalan'.....

Lol, this might work, if the 'ramalan' parts are those parts which won't come out for the real exam.....
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

> Find Us on Facebook

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0931sec    2.07    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 05:55 PM