Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[WTA] Chinese Betrothal Ceremony

views

TSJenChew12
post Jun 4 2023, 12:18 AM, updated 10 months ago

34 posts

Hi!
I’m getting married in a month’s time and currently sorting out a few things here and there before the big day smile.gif

One of the big item to tick off is the betrothal ceremony, or better known as guo da li.

I’m wondering if the Chinese wedding biscuits are necessary?
Has anyone here decided not to take as part of the gift from the groom?
My mum and I are in view of not receiving them as we have quite a tight timeline to distribute them to our relatives as since the guo da li is just two weeks before the wedding.

Hope someone can shed some light for me.

Thanks!
geforce88
post Jun 4 2023, 02:48 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,835 posts

QUOTE(JenChew12 @ Jun 4 2023, 12:18 AM)
Hi!
I’m getting married in a month’s time and currently sorting out a few things here and there before the big day smile.gif

One of the big item to tick off is the betrothal ceremony, or better known as guo da li.

My mum and I are in view of not receiving them as we have quite a tight timeline to distribute them to our relatives as since the guo da li is just two weeks before the wedding.

Thanks!
1. not necessary and not compulsory. unless someone in the family requested, otherwise don't waste money to order those biscuits/cookies because only small portion will be used for prayers, the remaining one confirm masuk tong sampah by end of the day.

2. what do you mean by distributing gift from groom to relatives? got such procedure? me and my wife never distribute any gift to relative except those baby full moon gift box when our baby is 1-month old. gift box consist of kuih muih, muffin etc, not the usual nasi kunyit with curry chicken because we decided to go vegetarian.

This post has been edited by geforce88: Jun 4 2023, 02:50 AM
quireyuyue
post Jun 6 2023, 10:34 AM

Getting Started
137 posts

Hi!

Thanks!
my family only bought enough biscuits for relatives and friends. We gave distributed the biscuits when we send them the wedding invitation letter. At least on my mother case, she felt it is needed coz that is 1 of the way she announce to people that her daughter is getting married. Another reason is we didn't invite a lot of ppl, so for those that didn't receive the invitation letter, she considered it as 'belanja' them eat wedding biscuit.

My guo da li everything is done within 2 day. 1st day groom family send the things over. Next day we send them the return items.

This post has been edited by quireyuyue: Jun 6 2023, 10:35 AM
Lahaha
post Jun 8 2023, 12:45 PM

Getting Started
193 posts

Hi!

Thanks!
I think mostly it is you and your mom (mainly the bride's side) are okay. Some people are traditional and must have the wedding biscuits to "tell others that my daughter is getting married." Some modern ones will be "aiya, no need la." Similar to wedding cards, some wants it and some are okay with just a "whatsapp text."

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0110sec    0.27    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:53 PM