Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Is it worth it to pursue PhD?, pursuing PhD, not sure worth it or not

views

Michael_Light
post May 18 2023, 07:30 AM

Casual
473 posts

You need to know how to leverage on your degree (either phd or MBA or anything). If your postgrad education doesn't help you in transitioning to new field, promotion, pay raise, securing a job, then to me it is a waste regardless whether its MBA or PhD or whatever. Good luck.
gnc88
post May 18 2023, 08:43 AM

Getting Started
97 posts

For Masters, it's slowly becoming a differentiating factor, as I have seen an increased of job applicants with Masters, some even Double Masters. So if you do want to stand out more, good to pursue it.
soules83
post May 18 2023, 08:07 PM

Hohoho I dunno
2,016 posts

QUOTE(BravoZeroTwo @ May 17 2023, 11:57 PM)
Can explain why it's a junk qualification?
maybe you should answer this first-> how mba can help a company?
BravoZeroTwo
post May 18 2023, 11:58 PM

Regular
1,128 posts

QUOTE(soules83 @ May 18 2023, 09:07 PM)
maybe you should answer this first-> how mba can help a company?
What is this? I asked you a question based your remark. As simple as that. How MBA can help a company should be answered by you since you said MBA is junk.
soules83
post May 19 2023, 08:37 AM

Hohoho I dunno
2,016 posts

QUOTE(gnc88 @ May 18 2023, 08:43 AM)
For Masters, it's slowly becoming a differentiating factor, as I have seen an increased of job applicants with Masters, some even Double Masters. So if you do want to stand out more, good to pursue it.
most job come with this -> bachelor OR master. not a differentiation factors
COOLPINK
post May 19 2023, 08:41 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,263 posts

TS opportunity given to you for you to save a couple of years.
if you can afford it then why not.

PhD if you are really talented in your field will open doors for you especially overseas.
keyword - talented
PS8805
post May 19 2023, 08:52 AM

11 posts

QUOTE(KingsleyThen @ Apr 21 2023, 11:09 PM)
I have finished my bachelor's degree in chemical engineering lately. Due to my high grades, my uni offers me a fast track PhD program. The semester will starts somewhen in October if I accept the offer. But, there is one thing I am very concern or worried about.

Is it really difficult to find a job after getting a PhD degree? Because my lecturer told me that most of the companies will look for fresh graduates with bachelor's degree rather than PhD graduates. Im also dont have any working experience. I heard the main reason they dont wanna hire PhD graduates is because of the minimum salary is higher under Akta Kerja (or Akta Buruh, Im not sure)? And they cant give lower salary as the minimum salary is fixed too under that Akta?

Btw, let's say I studied for PhD. Can I just find a job using my bachelor degree with its payscale without using my PhD degree? Or I cant because of that Akta?
If you think objectively, why would an employer rather hire a B.eng than a PHD? The answer is because PHD is overqualified for that specific role. Not all but most. If you think about it, companies will need to invest time and money to train the Fresh PHD staff and since he/she is overqualified, they are easily sway to another direction, thus wasting the time for the company to train them or even pay them. Also ultimately an employee gets paid however much an employer can afford or think that employee is worth. If there’s a mismatch, one side will give way. For an example, if the employer thinks that investing in a B.eng is more worthwhile in the long term compared to a phd holder even if they both accept the same pay. This is why many PHD holder got stuck and end up in research.

So who would hired a PhD grade? My guess is that specific industries to the PHD and in your case perhaps the likes of mnc like shell, slumberj or even Petronas. Why not? They too like PHD holders among them. They value expertise and knowledge.

Now why would you want a PHD? It does carry value. For an example if you’re competing with someone else whether in a company or two private companies competing, if you are the customer side, would you be more confident with a report that has a doctorate signatory at bottom or just a regular person with all other things considered. It does carry weight. Whether it’s worth the extra 5 years of lost working experience and income (and possibly expenses) worth the sacrifice or not. Worst case is the 5 years did not yield a phd for a variety of reasons.
gnc88
post May 19 2023, 01:54 PM

Getting Started
97 posts

QUOTE(soules83 @ May 19 2023, 08:37 AM)
most job come with this -> bachelor OR master. not a differentiation factors
Agree. But end of the day, when everything else is equal when it comes to 2 candidates, (behind closed door) we will pick the one with higher qualification. You get something more for the same price . biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by gnc88: May 19 2023, 02:02 PM
soules83
post May 19 2023, 08:13 PM

Hohoho I dunno
2,016 posts

QUOTE(gnc88 @ May 19 2023, 01:54 PM)
Agree. But end of the day, when everything else is equal when it comes to 2 candidates, (behind closed door) we will pick the one with higher qualification. You get something more for the same price .  biggrin.gif
from hiring manager pov, skill match is more important than master.
soules83
post May 19 2023, 08:15 PM

Hohoho I dunno
2,016 posts

QUOTE(PS8805 @ May 19 2023, 08:52 AM)
If you think objectively, why would an employer rather hire a B.eng than a PHD? The answer is because PHD is overqualified for that specific role. Not all but most. If you think about it, companies will need to invest time and money to train the Fresh PHD staff and since he/she is overqualified, they are easily sway to another direction, thus wasting the time for the company to train them or even pay them. Also ultimately an employee gets paid however much an employer can afford or think that employee is worth. If there’s a mismatch, one side will give way. For an example, if the employer thinks that investing in a B.eng is more worthwhile in the long term compared to a phd holder even if they both accept the same pay. This is why many PHD holder got stuck and end up in research.

So who would hired a PhD grade? My guess is that specific industries to the PHD and in your case perhaps the likes of mnc like shell, slumberj or even Petronas. Why not? They too like PHD holders among them. They value expertise and knowledge.

Now why would you want a PHD? It does carry value. For an example if you’re competing with someone else whether in a company or two private companies competing, if you are the customer side, would you be more confident with a report that has a doctorate signatory at bottom or just a regular person with all other things considered. It does carry weight. Whether it’s worth the extra 5 years of lost working experience and income (and possibly expenses) worth the sacrifice or not. Worst case is the 5 years did not yield a phd for a variety of reasons.
good point....but my question is why the customer need to know whether is report is written by a phd or a ba?
soules83
post May 19 2023, 08:17 PM

Hohoho I dunno
2,016 posts

QUOTE(COOLPINK @ May 19 2023, 08:41 AM)
TS opportunity given to you for you to save a couple of years.
if you can afford it then why not.

PhD if you are really talented in your field will open doors for you especially overseas.
keyword - talented
yes! but your phd must be recognized by oversea. and its not cheap
soules83
post May 19 2023, 08:18 PM

Hohoho I dunno
2,016 posts

QUOTE(BravoZeroTwo @ May 18 2023, 11:58 PM)
What is this? I asked you a question based your remark. As simple as that. How MBA can help a company should be answered by you since you said MBA is junk.
If you asked this question, you have a reason for asking it. Looks like i stepped your tails. oops!
cdspins
post May 19 2023, 08:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,567 posts

just my 2 cents. you can put more weight in considering phd if you match the criteria below:
1. if your family does not need your support to go out to work.... Then you can consider phd.
2. you like to study and phd is a self satisfactory path you eventually or at least you have this dream to achieve it in future
3. you consider working in research or academic field... please proceed with phd
EnergyAnalyst
post May 20 2023, 11:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,272 posts

QUOTE(cdspins @ May 19 2023, 08:28 PM)
just my 2 cents. you can put more weight in considering phd if you match the criteria below:
1. if your family does not need your support to go out to work.... Then you can consider phd.
2. you like to study and phd is a self satisfactory path you eventually or at least you have this dream to achieve it in future
3. you consider working in research or academic field... please proceed with phd
by far the best and thoughtful answer so far
BravoZeroTwo
post May 20 2023, 02:25 PM

Regular
1,128 posts

QUOTE(soules83 @ May 19 2023, 09:18 PM)
If you asked this question, you have a reason for asking it. Looks like i stepped your tails. oops!
No, you did not step on my tail. You made a sweeping statement by stating that doing a MBA is junk thereby I asked you for clarification here.
soules83
post May 21 2023, 01:08 PM

Hohoho I dunno
2,016 posts

QUOTE(BravoZeroTwo @ May 20 2023, 02:25 PM)
No, you did not step on my tail. You made a sweeping statement by stating that doing a MBA is junk thereby I asked you for clarification here.
Oh. but you sounds like you are on fire. smile.gif this kind of people doesnt worth my time fork out information. there are plenty of news you can read on application decline in MBA. mba value is drop even in oversea for the past 3 yrs. You have your answer and i dont think i want to argue with u.

This post has been edited by soules83: May 21 2023, 01:12 PM
BravoZeroTwo
post May 21 2023, 05:17 PM

Regular
1,128 posts

QUOTE(soules83 @ May 21 2023, 02:08 PM)
Oh. but you sounds like you are on fire. smile.gif this kind of people doesnt worth my time fork out information. there are plenty of news you can read on application decline in MBA. mba value is drop even in oversea for the past 3 yrs. You have your answer and i dont think i want to argue with u.
I am asking you why you said MBA is junk. I did not ask you to randomly picked some news to justify your sweeping statement here. Nobody is is arguing with you.
soules83
post May 23 2023, 11:08 PM

Hohoho I dunno
2,016 posts

QUOTE(BravoZeroTwo @ May 21 2023, 05:17 PM)
I am asking you why you said MBA is junk. I did not ask you to randomly picked some news to justify your sweeping statement here. Nobody is is arguing with you.
its not random, read more.
BravoZeroTwo
post May 24 2023, 11:21 PM

Regular
1,128 posts

QUOTE(soules83 @ May 24 2023, 12:08 AM)
its not random, read more.
Are you saying that all the news that you have had read all said MBA is junk? Show the links to the news that you have so called read to justify your claim.
soules83
post May 25 2023, 01:17 PM

Hohoho I dunno
2,016 posts

QUOTE(BravoZeroTwo @ May 24 2023, 11:21 PM)
Are you saying that all the news that you have had read all said MBA is junk? Show the links to the news that you have so called read to justify your claim.
So....you want me to feed you? If you are mba, you should have mine inputs and thats enough for you to expand those search. Apply you mba skill, and stop asking ppl to feed you.

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0175sec    0.24    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:03 PM