Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

New Alternator low charge under load, Got complicated things...

views

ktek
post Mar 19 2023, 05:37 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,546 posts

try one week using key lock. not remote alarm
u will find out
TSpergilahsayang
post Mar 19 2023, 05:39 PM

Casual
357 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Mar 19 2023, 05:28 PM)
Sorry TS after rereading your 1st post again, the "new alternator" that producing 13.3~13.5V without the headlights is crap.

I would go to Perodua SC and get a genuine new alternator and if they allow, a higher capacity alternator too. Some SCs will not allow upgrade to a higher capacity alternator because of liability issues.
Thank you. After many back and forth in this thread, I finally realized that I needed to actually go to SC instead and see what they had to say about it. If they say need to abandon the out-of-spec fan + new alternator, then what to do, I need to follow the expert who makes the car I guess hahaha.

Will update in a week or two on what the SC would suggest I do and see if it will fix the problem.

TSpergilahsayang
post Mar 19 2023, 05:40 PM

Casual
357 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Mar 19 2023, 05:37 PM)
try one week using key lock. not remote alarm
u will find out
This car has been using key lock since 3 years ago icon_idea.gif
Roman Catholic
post Mar 19 2023, 05:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

After Post #17 is done, then conduct proper Battery & Electrical System Charging Tests, to identify what is the actual problem. I am going to say its the out of spec electrical items.

Hopefully the SC can give you the go ahead with a higher capacity alternator (if that is physically even possible due to its limited space) since you like the out of spec radiator fan.

Oh yeah, please request the SC to give you the printed B&ST results, as I would like to have a look at them. If you can observe how the tests are actually done, even better.

Dont la pecah lobang with the out-of-spec radiator fan just yet, wasnt that your initial plan ?

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Mar 19 2023, 05:48 PM
TSpergilahsayang
post Mar 19 2023, 05:48 PM

Casual
357 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Mar 19 2023, 05:40 PM)
After Post #17 is done, then conduct proper Battery & Electrical System Charging Tests, to identify what is the actual problem. I am going to say its the out of spec electrical items.

Hopefully the SC can give you the go ahead with a higher capacity alternator (if that is physically even possible due to its limited space) since you like the out of spec radiator fan.

Oh yeah, please request the SC to give you the printed B&ST results, as I would like to have a look at them. If you can observe how the tests are actually done, even better.
Ohh, was about to ask about that Battery & Electrical System Charging test you were talking about.

Thank you for the tips, I will ask them if they have that and see how they test it and get the print result. Hopefully, big SC would have it.

"Don't la pecah lobang" - Yesssssszzzz. It's not really about money, but I really like this deng radiator fan. I will fight for it as humanly /physically possible with the SC tongue.gif

This post has been edited by pergilahsayang: Mar 19 2023, 05:54 PM
Roman Catholic
post Mar 19 2023, 05:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(pergilahsayang @ Mar 19 2023, 05:48 PM)
Ohh, was about to ask about that Battery & Electrical System Charging test you were talking about.

Thank you for the tips, I will ask them if they have that and see how they test it and get the print result. Hopefully, big SC would have it.
All Perodua SC are equipped with very good battery analyzers and yeah I prefer the ones wholly owned by Perodua Co itself over 3rd party SC. Just a preference but 3rd party SC should be equally good as long they follow the SOP.

Printed results will have the word Midtronics at the top followed by the SC names etc, follwed by Battery Test, Starter Test and Charging Test.

Finally before I forget, once the new alternator arrives and it's ready to be install, please make sure that the battery is fully charged up before you go to the SC.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Mar 19 2023, 06:06 PM
ktek
post Mar 19 2023, 06:15 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,546 posts

yes p2 sc got good tester.
btw if ac fan is over power, why dont u off ac a minute before shut enjin.
TSpergilahsayang
post Mar 19 2023, 06:17 PM

Casual
357 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Mar 19 2023, 05:55 PM)
All Perodua SC are equipped with very good battery analyzers and yeah I prefer the ones wholly owned by Perodua Co itself over 3rd party SC. Just a preference but 3rd party SC should be equally good as long they follow the SOP.

Printed results will have the word Midtronics at the top followed by the SC names etc, follwed by Battery Test, Starter Test and Charging Test.

Finally before I forget, once the new alternator arrives and it's ready to be install, please make sure that the battery is fully charged up before you go to the SC.
Roger that. Pheww.... it's a good thing I got an external battery charger thingy rclxms.gif

About the SC, I think the one in my area is BIG, but it is 3rd party one though. A wholly owned one is like 40 KM away ohmy.gif . Will see the nearest one first see if they as pro as you or not first laugh.gif

This post has been edited by pergilahsayang: Mar 19 2023, 06:17 PM
TSpergilahsayang
post Mar 19 2023, 06:33 PM

Casual
357 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Mar 19 2023, 06:15 PM)
yes p2 sc got good tester.
btw if ac fan is over power, why dont u off ac a minute before shut enjin.
That would be a good temporary workaround. But I would assume it would still not last I 'guess'. Especially since this car is used by few people. I don't think my old man would bother to adhere to that habit. He does not even bother to close the window after using the car and making the car a mosquito nest sweat.gif

Although from your input, it does give me an idea to not use air-cond for now if I'm still not ready to send to SC within this week, because if my amateur testing is to be believed, when no aircond, no headlamp = still healthy voltage.

This post has been edited by pergilahsayang: Mar 19 2023, 06:34 PM
alexei
post Mar 19 2023, 08:31 PM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

where u measure the voltage?
if you rev the rpm up, will the voltage reach 14.4V?

This post has been edited by alexei: Mar 19 2023, 08:33 PM
TSpergilahsayang
post Mar 19 2023, 09:04 PM

Casual
357 posts

QUOTE(alexei @ Mar 19 2023, 08:31 PM)
where u measure the voltage?
if you rev the rpm up, will the voltage reach 14.4V?
I measure at the connector connecting to the battery like in this Chrisfix video :

https://youtu.be/LGB6ZEjGm7Q

Hmm, I did not rev the rpm up on that test though. Did not cross my mind to do that. I'll do it tomorrow and report back.
ktek
post Mar 19 2023, 09:34 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,546 posts

u meed to rev up. since alternator doesnt work well below 1000rpm. best region is 3000 plus minus
unitron
post Mar 20 2023, 08:19 AM

W1(R)3d
2,718 posts

TS... what is the rating (Voltage, current, power) of the new fan vs the old fan ?
alexei
post Mar 20 2023, 08:54 AM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

QUOTE(pergilahsayang @ Mar 19 2023, 09:04 PM)
I measure at the connector connecting to the battery like in this Chrisfix video :

https://youtu.be/LGB6ZEjGm7Q

Hmm, I did not rev the rpm up on that test though. Did not cross my mind to do that. I'll do it tomorrow and report back.
that's good

one other thing, also check the battery voltage in the morning, before you start the car
this is a better way to determine battery charge level

if your issue is real, one reason I can think of, the modified alternator has sense wire wrongly connected to the output of the alternator, instead of battery terminal.
bo093
post Mar 20 2023, 09:52 AM

1,157 posts

A viva alternator is rated 60A, you can check the voltage all day long but that half of the story.
Possibilty you overloaded the alternator rating with the radiator fan motor from axia OR your crank pulley is OTW out.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0135sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:36 PM