Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

New Alternator low charge under load, Got complicated things...

views

TSpergilahsayang
post Mar 19 2023, 04:44 PM, updated 2y ago

Casual
357 posts

Hello all sifu.

Car: Viva auto 1.0
Problem: The alternator not providing enough charge under load and slowly killing the battery, but there is more to it.

Context:
About 8 months ago, I was recommended to upgrade the radiator fan of Axia put on my car (viva). He promised this will make air-cond cooler bla bla bla and I mean he wasn't wrong. Aircond more cool under hot sun and I like the sound of the fan now compared to the standard viva radiator fan. I can tell it draws more power and more air being blown. At the same time, I changed the alternator because the old one has started to overcharge and melt wires. So conclusion: Changed alternator + upgraded radiator fan Axia + New battery.

Fast forward 8 months later, my battery died. I charged it back using an external charger and then 1 month later die again. Today, I bought a new battery and multimeter to test the alternator output.On idle the figure is nice 14.2 -14.4 volt. Switch the headlamp it becomes 13.9, I think still okay. Then I open Air-cond (this will trigger my upgraded radiator fan to spin obviously) and the figure goes straight to 12.4volt. Then I tried air-cond On but switch off the headlamp and got 13.3 - 13.5 volt (which I assume still charging? albeit slowly right?)

Basically, the battery will be drained slowly if all equipment + lamp + Aircond ran at the same time.

What I want to know:
What do you think most probable cause? between the alternator or the upgraded radiator fan? The shop that did all this has gone bankrupt, so I need to go to a new place, so I just wanted to make sure I am saying the correct thing and equipped with proper knowledge before going to a new place. I know the absolute solution is just to change both, but If I can, I am willing to just change one of them since I think only one of them making the problem. So, do I first change the radiator fan back to standard? or change the alternator first? aduh pening kepala. I'm not sure if shop would want to entertain and experiment first 1 by 1 before finalizing the purchase though.

Second question: I really do like the upgraded radiator fan though. So let's say I want to keep that, does this mean I need to upgrade the Alternator to a bigger one or something?

Need some input from sifus. Thank you.

This post has been edited by pergilahsayang: Mar 19 2023, 04:46 PM
Roman Catholic
post Mar 19 2023, 04:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

Alternator bought
1. New from Service Center OR
2. New but reconditioned from outside shops ?

Out-of-spec radiator fan motor most probable cause.

Where are the battery & electrical charging tests printed results to justify what you had claimed ?

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Mar 19 2023, 04:52 PM
TSpergilahsayang
post Mar 19 2023, 04:52 PM

Casual
357 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Mar 19 2023, 04:47 PM)
Alternator bought
1. New from Service Center OR
2. New but reconditioned from outside shops ?
New as in New in a box outside shop. But not from the service center. From a shop that I really know the owner of and he says it's new not recon. I trust him 100% based on our long-time relationship. But there is no evidence to back it up la so yeah, interpret that as you will tongue.gif

Electrical charging test print result? well I did not go that far of a detailed experiment. I just do a simple check like chrisfix did:

https://youtu.be/LGB6ZEjGm7Q?t=174

This post has been edited by pergilahsayang: Mar 19 2023, 04:54 PM
h0riz0nLine
post Mar 19 2023, 04:53 PM

Getting Started
176 posts

alternator problem tu

nowadays alternator quality not so good unless u buy genuine one
Roman Catholic
post Mar 19 2023, 04:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(h0riz0nLine @ Mar 19 2023, 04:53 PM)
alternator problem tu

nowadays alternator quality not so good unless u buy genuine one
I havent come across SC giving out bad alternators to my clients whom I had recommended to going to SC, yet.
h0riz0nLine
post Mar 19 2023, 04:56 PM

Getting Started
176 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Mar 19 2023, 04:54 PM)
I havent come across SC giving out bad alternators to my clients whom I had recommended to going to SC, yet.
thats why i said only genuine one is really good

got proper QC

but usually genuine part got no warranty one

third party parts got maybe 60 days warranty
IccyAsd
post Mar 19 2023, 04:57 PM

Enthusiast
Group Icon
Staff
819 posts

TS why do you not sent your battery for warranty replacement? it has 12 months warranty.
Roman Catholic
post Mar 19 2023, 04:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

Wait a minute, original alternator was over-charging and melt the original wires ? So your friend replaced the melted wires ?
TSpergilahsayang
post Mar 19 2023, 04:59 PM

Casual
357 posts

QUOTE(IccyAsd @ Mar 19 2023, 04:57 PM)
TS why do you not sent your battery for warranty replacement? it has 12 months warranty.
The battery that I got Varta brand, and its not something I see around in my small town. And the shop that gave that battery has been out of business. To not complicate my brain further, I just fuk it, buy new one la for now. no biggie on that part wink.gif
TSpergilahsayang
post Mar 19 2023, 05:02 PM

Casual
357 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Mar 19 2023, 04:59 PM)
Wait a minute, original alternator was over-charging and melt the original wires ? So your friend replaced the melted wires ?
Yes the original alternator melted the wires, I mean, the original alternator was like about 12 years of age already. And yes, he changed all the melted wires and check the car till naked if there is other things that short circuits.
Roman Catholic
post Mar 19 2023, 05:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(IccyAsd @ Mar 19 2023, 04:57 PM)
Good question.

TS, you probably bought the battery from your friend too, surely he would honour the warranty or he wouldn't ?
h0riz0nLine
post Mar 19 2023, 05:05 PM

Getting Started
176 posts

QUOTE(pergilahsayang @ Mar 19 2023, 04:59 PM)
The battery that I got Varta brand, and its not something I see around in my small town. And the shop that gave that battery has been out of business. To not complicate my brain further, I just fuk it, buy new one la for now. no biggie on that part  wink.gif
old car just buy ordinary brand one

unless you are using start/stop type then can be a lil bit picky
Roman Catholic
post Mar 19 2023, 05:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(pergilahsayang @ Mar 19 2023, 05:02 PM)
Yes the original alternator melted the wires, I mean, the original alternator was like about 12 years of age already. And yes, he changed all the melted wires and check the car till naked if there is other things that short circuits.
Are the replaced wires used according to proper technical specifications ?

Until today my 26 year old Kancil still with original wiring together with the original alternator. No modifications whatsoever. Terminals all original.
Roman Catholic
post Mar 19 2023, 05:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(pergilahsayang @ Mar 19 2023, 04:59 PM)
The battery that I got Varta brand, and its not something I see around in my small town. And the shop that gave that battery has been out of business. To not complicate my brain further, I just fuk it, buy new one la for now. no biggie on that part  wink.gif
Are you in Melaka ? If you are, I would like to run some tests.
TSpergilahsayang
post Mar 19 2023, 05:16 PM

Casual
357 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Mar 19 2023, 05:02 PM)
Good question.

TS, you probably bought the battery from your friend too, surely he would honour the warranty or he wouldn't ?
The shop and the friend are gone poof bankrupt, I tried to contact, but he is not in the industry and not in the country even. So he can't help me with that, if I really want to, maybe I can go Varta representative or something, but as stated, its a small matter, I rather not haywire my brain further biggrin.gif

QUOTE(h0riz0nLine @ Mar 19 2023, 05:05 PM)
old car just buy ordinary brand one

unless you are using start/stop type then can be a lil bit picky
The battery that I changed today is cheap one no worries. Rm 165 Yokobatt

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Mar 19 2023, 05:07 PM)
Are you in Melaka ? If you are, I would like to run some tests.
I would love to, but unfortunately, I live in one of a small district in Johor State bye.gif
Thrust
post Mar 19 2023, 05:20 PM

Power To The People!!!
3,690 posts

Most likely the new alternator is not providing enough charge when all electrical equipments are turned on...

Roman Catholic
post Mar 19 2023, 05:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

Sorry TS after rereading your 1st post again, the "new alternator" that producing 13.3~13.5V without the headlights is crap.

I would go to Perodua SC and get a genuine new alternator and if they allow, a higher capacity alternator too. Some SCs will not allow upgrade to a higher capacity alternator because of liability issues.

This post has been edited by Roman Catholic: Mar 19 2023, 05:30 PM
TSpergilahsayang
post Mar 19 2023, 05:31 PM

Casual
357 posts

QUOTE(Roman Catholic @ Mar 19 2023, 05:05 PM)
Are the replaced wires used according to proper technical specifications ?

Until today my 26 year old Kancil still with original wiring together with the original alternator. No modifications whatsoever. Terminals all original.
For this one, It's beyond my technical knowledge to know, so I can't tell. But I can only say, in a small town like mine, not everyone here has top-notch technical knowledge as high as what the internet and high-knowledge enthusiast Lowyat F&F had to offer. Most shope's motto is "if the box says its ori, if it fits, if it works, if it does not go against the street experience I had so far, then its all good to gooooo" - Is what I would describe the repair shop around here. Also, if you bring something funny from theoretical knowledge you learn from the internet, they would just scuff it off because it's probably going against their pure street experience or something like that tongue.gif

This post has been edited by pergilahsayang: Mar 19 2023, 05:34 PM
Roman Catholic
post Mar 19 2023, 05:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,030 posts

QUOTE(pergilahsayang @ Mar 19 2023, 05:31 PM)
For this one, It's beyond my technical knowledge to know, so I can't tell. But I can only say, in a small town like mine, not everyone here has top-notch technical knowledge as high as what the internet and high-knowledge enthusiast Lowyat F&F had to offer. Most shope's motto is "if the box says its ori, if it fits, if it works, if it does not go against the street experience I had so far, then its all good to gooooo" - Is what I would describe the repair shop around here.
As a battery disributor, all these aftermarket items will simply degrade the battery faster due to higher loads. Best is to keep everything original even replacements.
ktek
post Mar 19 2023, 05:37 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,546 posts

volt is alrite. how about measure after enjin shut.
prolly got item that eating power, example alarm system.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0179sec    0.46    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:49 PM