Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Can I request TM replace an outdated fiber modem?

views

TSMrStake P
post Mar 11 2023, 03:38 AM, updated 2y ago

Probation
1 posts

I have a really old Unifi fiber modem and router that has been in use for probably over 12 years. I suspect that my internet connection speed is probably very heavily throttled due to this and constant instability.
Is it possible to ask TM to replace my router and modem using the reason that its too old?

I think i've asked before but they only replied that if its not faulty, they wont replace it.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
NO1K
post Mar 11 2023, 05:02 AM

Getting Started
65 posts

just switch to maxis fibre, get 6 months free summore for unifi users.

or just register as new, add on RM50 get 65" TV
enduser
post Mar 11 2023, 07:15 AM

Regular
1,185 posts

Might try ask at this thread

https://forum.lowyat.net/NetworksandBroadband

Btw u can always asked them to replace the btu
Just call them and explain the issue
kelvinfixx
post Mar 11 2023, 07:19 AM

Regular
1,502 posts

renew contract to ask to upgrade modem
lawrencesha
post Mar 11 2023, 07:27 AM

Enthusiast
858 posts

just them them your model rosak la...
sijun
post Mar 11 2023, 11:32 AM

Casual
307 posts

port to maxis get 6month foc and free modem router, meantime can see unifi got counter offer you or not.

2 yr contract but get new device and rebate somemore
PRSXFENG
post Mar 11 2023, 11:34 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(MrStake @ Mar 11 2023, 03:38 AM)
I have a really old Unifi fiber modem and router that has been in use for probably over 12 years. I suspect that my internet connection speed is probably very heavily throttled due to this and constant instability.
Is it possible to ask TM to replace my router and modem using the reason that its too old?

I think i've asked before but they only replied that if its not faulty, they wont replace it.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Curious, which model is it?

sHawTY
post Mar 11 2023, 07:35 PM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,629 posts

Turn off the modem then report to TM saying there's no light coming from it at all
Don't turn it on until TM technician comes in to replace the modem

Yes, this method works, but you will have to sacrifice your connectivity until TM technician goes to your place. Do not turn on the modem under any circumstances whatsoever
They might go to your place within 24 hours or they might take a few days, no one knows for sure
Natsukashii
post Mar 11 2023, 07:44 PM

Enthusiast
845 posts

Modem cannot, modem comes with lifetime warranty. Unless spoiled, they won't change it. If your internet has issues, you can report and they'll come check the modem and if need to change, then they'll change. At this point, contract should not be getting renewal. However, double confirm with your fiber provider.

When they change it, high chance they'll take the older one. So we can't lie saying it's spoiled. If we can't provide the modem, I think they'll charge or have to renew contract.

Router however, can be changed but contract renewed. Or you can buy your own router.

This post has been edited by Natsukashii: Mar 11 2023, 07:45 PM
Mea Culpa
post Mar 14 2023, 10:39 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,895 posts

TM Btu is under TM lifetime warranty ..as long as you are their Unifi customer.

They will replace it for free but ONLY if its broken.

If reported got signaling problem. (assuming your router tested and no problem). They will normally check your cable rated signal at 2 points .. from your modem to the termination box. If readings is up to desired standard and confirm no problem baru they replace you new modem. Sometimes got dirt or loose connection at termination points also can cause intermittent. the PON indicator constantly blinks.

Hardware (modem problem) issues is beyond the tech knowledge so they will just replaced with new one.

This post has been edited by Mea Culpa: Mar 14 2023, 11:02 AM
omg7788
post Mar 15 2023, 04:11 PM

Kampung Style Information Technology
431 posts

i am also still using this old BTU haha

user posted image
jkfoong
post Mar 16 2023, 09:25 AM

Casual
477 posts

QUOTE(sHawTY @ Mar 11 2023, 07:35 PM)
Turn off the modem then report to TM saying there's no light coming from it at all
Don't turn it on until TM technician comes in to replace the modem

Yes, this method works, but you will have to sacrifice your connectivity until TM technician goes to your place. Do not turn on the modem under any circumstances whatsoever
They might go to your place within 24 hours or they might take a few days, no one knows for sure
Actually can tell them the 12-years-old modem turns off randomly by itself, technician will come and replace anyway since its so old.
sHawTY
post Mar 16 2023, 09:52 AM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,629 posts

QUOTE(jkfoong @ Mar 16 2023, 09:25 AM)
Actually can tell them the 12-years-old modem turns off randomly by itself, technician will come and replace anyway since its so old.
It all depends to the user on how they are going to convince TM helpline and the contractor that goes to the end user's place
The contractor doesn't care that much about replacing the BTU except those who actually does everything by the book. If you can convince him enough, he'll replace the BTU no matter the circumstances
andrekua2
post Mar 17 2023, 08:19 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,490 posts

I got the black ones since early maxis fibre (using unifi infra) days. Hence when I upgraded my old 30Mbps to 100Mbps, they came together with Unifi contractor to change the modem to Huawei. I chat with the guy and he said the black modem cant support 100Mbps.

This post has been edited by andrekua2: Mar 17 2023, 08:22 AM
PRSXFENG
post Mar 18 2023, 12:35 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

the old black huawei doesnt support Gigabit speeds

but if TS has that ancient old Alcatel Lucent that @omg7788 has, im pretty sure that one has gigabit ports

if you must, consider changing isps to cause a hardware upgrade
earshore
post Mar 27 2023, 08:58 PM

Getting Started
274 posts

you switch package to time, should get different router

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0156sec    0.42    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:21 PM