Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

My dad can barely eat

views

TShpares
post Nov 10 2022, 08:51 PM, updated 2y ago

On my way
529 posts

My dad is 66 years old. These few month he sleep all the times, barely eat and recently it become more worst. He barely eat few spoon of porridge daily. He only weighted 39 kg on his previous visit to gov hospital check up(3 times a year).He had pituitary gland surgery few years back and have to take hydrocortisone pill daily and testosterone injections monthly due to unable to produce hormones. I told the doctor on our last visit about his condition, barely eat, barely able to walk and always forgetful but he only advise to remember to take medicine on time. What should i do? Am i able go bring him to gov hospital and admit him to ward for few days check up? I scare if i bring go and denied, he is too tired for the trip.
Lucas0323
post Nov 10 2022, 08:57 PM

Enthusiast
774 posts

Unless hes dying or emergency gov hospital will not entertain. 66 is young i think he need to change his mindset to survive as in order to live on he gotta eat etc.
Noryume
post Nov 10 2022, 08:59 PM

Enthusiast
864 posts

Is there anything that make him happy or excited?
Jojolin
post Nov 10 2022, 09:02 PM

Getting Started
65 posts

Where do u stay? U can try to bring him to Selayang Hospital for a check-up.
haturaya
post Nov 10 2022, 09:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
2,469 posts

QUOTE(hpares @ Nov 10 2022, 08:51 PM)
My dad is 66 years old. These few month he sleep all the times, barely eat and recently it become more worst. He barely eat few spoon of porridge daily. He only weighted 39 kg on his previous visit to gov hospital  check up(3 times a year).He had pituitary gland surgery few years back and have to take hydrocortisone pill daily and testosterone injections monthly due to unable to produce hormones. I told the doctor on our last visit about his condition, barely eat, barely able to walk and always forgetful but he only advise to remember to take medicine on time. What should i do? Am i able go bring him to gov hospital and admit him to ward for few days check up? I scare if i bring go and denied, he is too tired for the trip.
One trick that might work, go to emergency at 2am. Tell them he's not eating and very weak and need urgent attention.
SUSSupermanLick
post Nov 11 2022, 11:35 AM

👊PUNCH SOHAI🦸
1,074 posts

He old. Wanted peace
Let him rest
chilskater
post Nov 11 2022, 11:38 AM

Regular
1,096 posts

give me Enercal powder milk and bring to hospital if he want to survive longer
TShpares
post Nov 21 2022, 01:40 PM

On my way
529 posts

Update.
I manage to bring my dad to hospital because black stool, no energy and fall hit his head. But on the day in emergency ward. His appetite came back, and eat alot now. But his attitude changes. He get agitated very easily. He speak nonsense sometimes and the word he use was not the word he meant sometimes. Sometimes i feel he was not there, he was in somewhere in his past. He even call out my sister name when she is not around. Before he was admitted, his memory was abit bad, and doctors say should be dementia. Now at house, he barely slp. He always wanted to eat every 2 hour, even mid night. He roam around the house looking for food, dropping things around. He even open gas for no reason. I ask him why he told me he want to close it. Doctor did CT scan during admissions and say nth wrong. Anyone can help or give opinion? I feel like he kena rasuk hantu. He got told he got saw child ghost( chinese term).
SUSnatx001
post Nov 21 2022, 01:41 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

Columbia Extended Hospital
AbbyCom
post Nov 21 2022, 01:49 PM

Casual
353 posts

QUOTE(hpares @ Nov 21 2022, 01:40 PM)
Update.
I manage to bring my dad to hospital because black stool, no energy and fall hit his head. But on the day in emergency ward. His appetite came back, and eat alot now. But his attitude changes. He get agitated very easily. He speak nonsense sometimes and the word he use was not the word he meant sometimes. Sometimes i feel he was not there, he was in somewhere in his past. He even call out my sister name when she is not around.  Before he was admitted, his memory was abit bad, and doctors say should be dementia. Now at house, he barely slp. He always wanted to eat every 2 hour, even mid night. He roam around the house looking for food, dropping things around. He even open gas for no reason. I ask him why he told me he want to close it. Doctor did CT scan during admissions and say nth wrong. Anyone can help or give opinion? I feel like he kena rasuk hantu. He got told he got saw child ghost( chinese term).
From experience seen on older people (I am no medical personnel):-

Black stool could mean internal bleeding - colon cancer/polyp.

Being incoherent could be kidney not removing toxins from body.

Rasuk hantu - no idea.

Govt hosp can't be relied on to diagnose problems - maybe go to GP first to get blood test done - once you have the blood test you have baseline/evidence to go question the govt hosp doctors for not taking action to address some of the issues identified in the blood test.

Govt hosp, a lot of times not transparent, results of tests they don't show you, then tell you no problem.

I lost my mom due to stroke due to incompetence of the govt hospital - already told them is stroke symptoms they kept delaying say no issues with her. Paramedic say no prob during triage, and then two idiot doctors that saw her also say no prob.

Last last have to go to GP and then private - by that time too late liao.
HJoker
post Dec 4 2022, 01:25 AM

47 posts

hello im a dr and this is my advise
39kg for an adult male is too low, is there any reason he is not feeding well? food factor? toothache? There must be a reason why he is not eating.
I would recommend you to bring him to see a dietician, as there are various products out there that can help with weight gain in those with poor appetite but do find out the reason why ur dad is not feeding well.
U can also bring him to a geriatrician, there are certain medications that are available for pts with dementia
Another thing that i would like to point out is if u noticed anything wrong with ur father, for instance he is looking more tired than usual, drowsy, sudden change in behavior, pls bring him to hosp immediately as old ppl tend to deteriorate very fast

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0137sec    0.40    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:34 PM