Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Is it possible to get a MBA without degree?

views

TSTOHNO
post Nov 7 2022, 11:02 AM, updated 2y ago

Getting Started
244 posts

Hi all.

I'm in my late 20s now and after some thought I think it's time for me to upgrade myself.

I studied diploma in Sport Science 6 years ago, was supposed to do my degree but I had financial troubles.

I started working and currently run my own Fitness Business along with a full time job as an online coach.

With that said my friend told me recently that he did a MBA 5 years back without a degree, which surprised me, all they needed was

5 years working experience. The course is 2 years long, weekends only and assignment only. Which is pretty damn good to me.

It's called WIM Univeristy. However I'm open to other options. Do y'all have any alternatives for me to look ?
SUS2feidei
post Nov 7 2022, 11:12 AM

Ayam tatau, ayam virgin (c)
3,158 posts

First of all, ask yourself why u need MBA first? Then, go find out if the uni/ course that accept u able to fulfil your demand.

No point get MBA for sake of getting one
haturaya
post Nov 7 2022, 11:15 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
2,469 posts

QUOTE(TOHNO @ Nov 7 2022, 11:02 AM)
Hi all.

I'm in my late 20s now and after some thought I think it's time for me to upgrade myself.

I studied diploma in Sport Science 6 years ago, was supposed to do my degree but I had financial troubles.

I started working and currently run my own Fitness Business along with a full time job as an online coach.

With that said my friend told me recently that he did a MBA 5 years back without a degree, which surprised me, all they needed was

5 years working experience. The course is 2 years long, weekends only and assignment only. Which is pretty damn good to me.

It's called WIM Univeristy. However I'm open to other options. Do y'all have any alternatives for me to look ?
But why MBA? Any significant benefit? hmm.gif
MrBaba
post Nov 7 2022, 11:21 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,123 posts

Priority aldy Salah dy doubt this MBA going to help u much
rush3508
post Nov 7 2022, 11:36 AM

25 posts

Hi all.

You can do a postgrad degree with prior work/experential experience via alternative entry programmes Its called APEL and its provided by Malaysian Qualification Accreditation. You can read more about it here.. There is a process involved and a small fee for APEL accreditation so I suggest you have a read.

A lot of other universities use APEL as an alternative entry pathway for not just MBA programmes. I suggest you have a look at other universities before settling down on WIM's MBA programme to find a programme that suits your career goals. Other than cost you should weigh in study experience, support structure, research support etc. If you do a quick google search of uni's accepting APEL entry you'll find result's like:

UM
INTI
UOW @KDU
Herriot Watt
Unitar
UniKL
OUM

This is a sample flowchart of entry pathway to postgrad programme at UM. You can see that they also offer APEL entry.

TSTOHNO
post Nov 8 2022, 09:32 AM

Getting Started
244 posts

More so for personal achievement. And Incase if I want to migrate with my girlfriend, having a higher qualification might make the process easier.
xenotzu
post Nov 14 2022, 11:05 AM

Regular
1,484 posts

Hi all.

This question has been asked many times in this forum in various guises. I'll repeat what I wrote before to them. If you are in a profession or job which has professional qualifications, it is probably better to go for those professional qualifications as they are more focused for that particular profession or business. They are probably more recognised or accepted than a MBA which is a general qualification. Besides, MBAs are a dime a dozen now, almost every university seems to have them. To stand out from such proliferation of MBAs, they have to be very well recognised and distinctive, and that means expensive MBAs as those universities can and will charge the earth for them.

I've known two colleagues who spent a fortune on their MBAs. One was a Nanyang Technlogical MBA and the other a Singapore Management University MBA. Both are highly ranked and some of the best in Asia. Both costs around the region of SGD70+k in all. Yet, after completing those MBAs and some years later, they haven't been able to leverage on their MBAs. In fact, they are still in the same profession and positions they were in originally. They were disappointed as they had hoped to be promoted or find a better position with the MBAs but unfortunately, they were not able to. In the end, they just accepted it and said, and this is probably more important for them, that they had learned a lot more about various subjects that they had been interested in.

The one person I know who did managed to leverage on her MBA was a friend who quit her job and took a financial loan of USD200k to study for a Wharton MBA, which is a 2 years' master. Wharton MBA is consistently ranked Top 3 in any rankings for best MBA globally. It has often overtaken Harvard's MBA as the best MBA available. After finishing her MBA, she managed to get a well paying consulting job in USA and she hopes to pay off her loan in a few years.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0125sec    0.43    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:15 PM