Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Computer Connect to 5.1 Amplifier

views

TSBatu1235 P
post Nov 2 2022, 04:12 PM, updated 2y ago

Probation
12 posts

Hi Sifu's,

I actually have existing SONY and Logitech Speakers (2 set of Z5500, board spoiled) today and i wish to get a economical Amp to connect instead of buying a new whole set of PC speakers. I have several questions as below :

1. Do you guys have any advice on how to do this?
2. What is a good economical Amp?
3. Buying a cheap vs expensive Amp will it be a lot of difference?

I usually play FPS games which require 5.1, i am planning to use my own PC as the DAC.

thank you very much!
ifourtos
post Nov 2 2022, 04:16 PM

Regular
1,884 posts

1. u really dont need amp for PC Sound setup....
if you understand what is AMP.

2nd. if you need better sound reproduction.
goes for a dedicated sound processing unit (soundcard)
then a good set of speaker
Finally, precisely position your speaker.
empstar2
post Nov 2 2022, 04:31 PM

Getting Started
128 posts

got two way to connect.

SPDIF or Coaxial

1st make sure u have sound card or output this two above.
2nd your AMP got either one of the two above.

then just connect, setting up in your sound control panel then can play direct. (you are good to go)
go to here to test 5.1
https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/multichannel.html
don't use youtube 5.1, all are fake..

user posted image
empstar2
post Nov 2 2022, 04:34 PM

Getting Started
128 posts

user posted image
writesimply
post Nov 2 2022, 08:36 PM

Enthusiast
850 posts

QUOTE(Batu1235 @ Nov 2 2022, 04:12 PM)
Hi Sifu's,

I actually have existing SONY and Logitech Speakers (2 set of Z5500, board spoiled) today and i wish to get a economical Amp to connect instead of buying a new whole set of PC speakers. I have several questions as below :

user posted image
This is the Logitech Z5500, correct?

When you said the "board spoiled" what do you mean exactly? There are two boards: one for the control/hub unit and the other one is on the powered subwoofer.

I usually play FPS games which require 5.1, i am planning to use my own PC as the DAC.

Ideally, nothing is spoiled so that you can use them as is without the need to buy a receiver.

If the board on the control/hub unit is broken, then it's a bit of work to get it to repaired. The hub controls selects the input you want to use, controls the volume as well as decode the AC3 and DTS signals that is fed to it. It then feeds the decoded audio to the subwoofer. If your sound card or mobo has an optical/coax out, you connect that to the Logitech hub.

If the board of the powered sub is broken, that's also a bit of work. The board here does three things: parse the 6 audio channels from the hub, provides amplification to them and then feeds it to all the speakers including the subwoofer.

If you can't get these two sets in working condition, what you need to do is make the sub to be a powered sub all on its own. You have to figure it out how to make this happen.

Once you can do this, you can buy a 5.1 receiver off of Mudah, connect the speakers to the receiver then connect the optical/coax out of your PC to the receiver. You do not want to connect the PC to the receiver via HDMI because of lag. This is especially true of older receivers because the makers didn't have gamers in mind.

A new one is going to be RM1,900. On Mudah, you can get one for less than RM1,000. But just beware that every single thing must be working or else you won't get 5.1 or a clean sound (sound without distortion).

------------
Using the speakers for PCs, you only need to get one set in working condition. If you want to use it to watch movies, you can connect the satellite speakers directly to an AV receiver that's 4K enabled and with Dolby Atmos decoding. Since you have 10 speakers and two subwoofers, you can do a 5.2.4 Atmos setup - 5 surrounds speakers, 2 subwoofers and 4 height speakers.

The cheapest receiver that I can find is this opened-box Yamaha at RM3,150. This RX-V6A is a 7.2 channel receiver, which means you can only do 5.2.2 Atmos setup.
TSBatu1235 P
post Nov 3 2022, 10:22 AM

Probation
12 posts

QUOTE(empstar2 @ Nov 2 2022, 04:34 PM)
user posted image
Yeap you are right, 1st set the Board on both the controller and and the sub spoiled the 2nd set the control board spoiled.
So its not an amp that i am looking for but a receiver as i understand from everyone here.

My motherboard don't have any coax or SPDIF or optical out just normal motherboard.

user posted image

This is all my mobo plugs Gigabyte B450M DS3H.
TSBatu1235 P
post Nov 3 2022, 10:27 AM

Probation
12 posts

QUOTE(writesimply @ Nov 2 2022, 08:36 PM)

When you said the "board spoiled" what do you mean exactly? There are two boards: one for the control/hub unit and the other one is on the powered subwoofer.
Ideally, nothing is spoiled so that you can use them as is without the need to buy a receiver.
Thank you so much for your time to explain. I understand a little bit more now. My computer setup is not that big just need to find ways to put back my speakers and not waste the old one, let me try to find if i can get anything from Mudah.

But i have checked i don't have Optical out, SPDIF or COAX out from my MOBO.
If so i might need to get USB DAC and then out from this DAC to the Receiver instead.

TSBatu1235 P
post Nov 3 2022, 10:40 AM

Probation
12 posts

I found this item selling for RM50
Yamaha RX-V373 (discontinued item)

I saw there is a USB in from the front. Maybe i can use this from my PC or use the mini jack...
writesimply
post Nov 3 2022, 11:05 AM

Enthusiast
850 posts

QUOTE(Batu1235 @ Nov 3 2022, 10:27 AM)
But i have checked i don't have Optical out, SPDIF or COAX out from my MOBO.
If so i might need to get USB DAC and then out from this DAC to the Receiver instead.
QUOTE(Batu1235 @ Nov 3 2022, 10:40 AM)
I found this item selling for RM50
Yamaha RX-V373 (discontinued item)

I saw there is a USB in from the front. Maybe i can use this from my PC or use the mini jack...
A USB input on a receiver accepts USB flashdrive or HDD to play music, most of the time. It doesn't do direct input.

The Yamaha seems decent but it is recent. Only a 20-year old receiver or something from that era would have 6-channel input. To get surrounds, you need for your PC to convert the audio to DTS/Dolby Digital and get the receiver to decode it.

This seller is selling his used one for a good price.
minano0001
post Nov 3 2022, 01:30 PM

On my way
527 posts

You need a soundcard
andrekua2
post Nov 3 2022, 01:58 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,490 posts

Your onboard soundcard should be sufficient. Do your onboard have digital out?

If you dont use a soundcard, then you wont get 5.1 in games.
kevinlim001
post Nov 3 2022, 02:07 PM

Ethical Hacker
6,118 posts

QUOTE(Batu1235 @ Nov 2 2022, 04:12 PM)
Hi Sifu's,

thank you very much!
if you are going for AVR route (generally we dont call it AMP), the cheaper way is to get an used amp whether its (Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo Or Marantz) that support HDMI input. Then check your graphic card if that supports HDMI out (check the driver if that supports multi channel out). HDMI carries multi channel information. It will still work without a sound card on your PC.

Buying a cheap vs expensive Amp will it be a lot of difference?
it does. In general more expensive AVR will have more features and more power. But your speakers pay a role there also..also if you only use it for game.. i dont think the audio bitrate will be as good as movies/music. At the end it depends on your usage and your setup and your future expansion/upgrade plan
minano0001
post Nov 3 2022, 03:12 PM

On my way
527 posts

QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Nov 3 2022, 01:58 PM)
Your onboard soundcard should be sufficient. Do your onboard have digital out?

If you dont use a soundcard, then you wont get 5.1 in games.
He doesn't have optical out that's why he would need a sound card. Or he can HDMI in to receiver then HDMI out to monitor
andrekua2
post Nov 3 2022, 04:50 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,490 posts

QUOTE(minano0001 @ Nov 3 2022, 03:12 PM)
He doesn't have optical out that's why he would need a sound card. Or he can HDMI in to receiver then HDMI out to monitor
Hdmi can carry 5.1 signal?
minano0001
post Nov 3 2022, 05:18 PM

On my way
527 posts

QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Nov 3 2022, 04:50 PM)
Hdmi can carry 5.1 signal?
Yes
kevinlim001
post Nov 3 2022, 06:35 PM

Ethical Hacker
6,118 posts

QUOTE(writesimply @ Nov 3 2022, 11:05 AM)
A USB input on a receiver accepts USB flashdrive or HDD to play music, most of the time. It doesn't do direct input.

The Yamaha seems decent but it is recent. Only a 20-year old receiver or something from that era would have 6-channel input. To get surrounds, you need for your PC to convert the audio to DTS/Dolby Digital and get the receiver to decode it.

This seller is selling his used one for a good price.
this is a correct answer

To get surrounds, you need for your PC to convert the audio to DTS/Dolby Digital and get the receiver to decode it.
if PCM signal it can carry surround information too.. not necessary only DTS or Dolby icon_rolleyes.gif
andrekua2
post Nov 3 2022, 06:49 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,490 posts

QUOTE(minano0001 @ Nov 3 2022, 05:18 PM)
Yes
Really? I always thought multi channel are only available for those DD5.1 or DTS 5.1 because the speaker/receiver were equipped with the decoder to convert it to analog signal.

For gaming though, how would these signal be sent? PCM? Isnt PCM stereo?
otnuus
post Nov 3 2022, 07:08 PM

Casual
377 posts

QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Nov 3 2022, 06:49 PM)

PCM is uncompressed. It is not limited to stereo. But in Sony TV, PCM only can output in stereo. A bit misleading on Sony part.
minano0001
post Nov 4 2022, 08:55 AM

On my way
527 posts

QUOTE(andrekua2 @ Nov 3 2022, 06:49 PM)
Really? I always thought multi channel are only available for those DD5.1 or DTS 5.1 because the speaker/receiver were equipped with the decoder to convert it to analog signal.

the game must support 5.1. pc can decode surround too. can also do atmos but with atmos u need to pay for dolby access.
but your cheapest way is to just buy a pcie soundcard and plug into your pc.
dont worry about atmos cause its not worth getting it for pc.
TSBatu1235 P
post Nov 4 2022, 11:12 AM

Probation
12 posts

Wah thank you so much for all the input. I will try to get the AV Receiver and try it out.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0201sec    0.35    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:25 PM