Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

MBA for Working Adults, Asking for feedback and opinions

views

TSruby1288
post Oct 28 2022, 03:00 PM, updated 2y ago

10 posts

Hello, can I ask if anyone have participated in the following courses offered locally ?

- Sunway University (the latest one, not Victoria Uni or Lancaster)
- SEGI (Uni of Sunderland)
- Penisula (Uni of Gloucestershire)
- INTI
- WIM (Uni of East London)
- UCSI

Can you give some feedbacks (in any form or topics) ?

Also appreciate if you can give some comments for those institutions not listed above.

Thanks in advance.
DontClick
post Oct 28 2022, 03:07 PM

20 posts

I completed my MBA at WIM in 2014. What do you want to know?
brutalsoul
post Oct 28 2022, 03:13 PM

A goal without a plan is just a wish
1,474 posts

why not DBA in unitar?

https://www.unitar.my/programme/doctor-in-b...ion-online-dba/
TSruby1288
post Oct 28 2022, 03:14 PM

10 posts

QUOTE(DontClick @ Oct 28 2022, 03:07 PM)
I completed my MBA at WIM in 2014. What do you want to know?
Hello, thanks for replying, how would you view the coursework (research based ?) ?
is there any support from student counsellors (if there is any) ?
Method of delivery ? I think is still quite old school style ? like entirely on slides and classroom... did they invite anyone from the corporate sector to give some insights or share experiences, thoughts etc.. ?

TSruby1288
post Oct 28 2022, 03:15 PM

10 posts

QUOTE(brutalsoul @ Oct 28 2022, 03:13 PM)
Hello, thanks for replying, but my highest is only Bachelor's degree now.
DontClick
post Oct 28 2022, 03:27 PM

20 posts

QUOTE(ruby1288 @ Oct 28 2022, 03:14 PM)
Hello, thanks for replying, how would you view the coursework (research based ?) ?
is there any support from student counsellors (if there is any) ?
Method of delivery ? I think is still quite old school style ? like entirely on slides and classroom... did they invite anyone from the corporate sector to give some insights or share experiences, thoughts etc.. ?
1. Some of the subject needed coursework, some more on presentation. Some hybrid between coursework and exam.
2. Not that I know of. Not sure if they have that right now.
3. Method of delivery is pretty old school, slides and classroom. They do invite once or twice somebody from industry to give a speech. They also invite us to visit them in their office.

Buy my biggest takeaway from the experience is working together with your classmate to complete your assignment. This is where we get to know on how other industry did it, networking and also best practices.

I'd prefer to take MBA where the participants is a working adult as we learn a lot from them and we can confirm it in the classroom.

WIM is pretty flexible and accommodating to working adult and most of their semester break also coincide with our school breaks. This allow the adult for holiday for their family.
TSruby1288
post Nov 1 2022, 09:55 AM

10 posts

QUOTE(DontClick @ Oct 28 2022, 03:27 PM)
1. Some of the subject needed coursework, some more on presentation. Some hybrid between coursework and exam.
2. Not that I know of. Not sure if they have that right now.
3. Method of delivery is pretty old school, slides and classroom. They do invite once or twice somebody from industry to give a speech. They also invite us to visit them in their office.

Buy my biggest takeaway from the experience is working together with your classmate to complete your assignment. This is where we get to know on how other industry did it, networking and also best practices.

I'd prefer to take MBA where the participants is a working adult as we learn a lot from them and we can confirm it in the classroom.

WIM is pretty flexible and accommodating to working adult and most of their semester break also coincide with our school breaks. This allow the adult for holiday for their family.
Thank you so much for your feedback and contribution. thumbup.gif
xenotzu
post Nov 14 2022, 11:05 AM

Regular
1,484 posts

QUOTE(ruby1288 @ Oct 28 2022, 03:00 PM)
Hello, can I ask if anyone have participated in the following courses offered locally ?

- Sunway University (the latest one, not Victoria Uni or Lancaster)
- SEGI (Uni of Sunderland)
- Penisula (Uni of Gloucestershire)
- INTI
- WIM (Uni of East London)
- UCSI

Can you give some feedbacks (in any form or topics) ?

Also appreciate if you can give some comments for those institutions not listed above.

Thanks in advance.
This question has been asked many times in this forum in various guises. I'll repeat what I wrote before to them. If you are in a profession or job which has professional qualifications, it is probably better to go for those professional qualifications as they are more focused for that particular profession or business. They are probably more recognised or accepted than a MBA which is a general qualification. Besides, MBAs are a dime a dozen now, almost every university seems to have them. To stand out from such proliferation of MBAs, they have to be very well recognised and distinctive, and that means expensive MBAs as those universities can and will charge the earth for them.

I've known two colleagues who spent a fortune on their MBAs. One was a Nanyang Technlogical MBA and the other a Singapore Management University MBA. Both are highly ranked and some of the best in Asia. Both costs around the region of SGD70+k in all. Yet, after completing those MBAs and some years later, they haven't been able to leverage on their MBAs. In fact, they are still in the same profession and positions they were in originally. They were disappointed as they had hoped to be promoted or find a better position with the MBAs but unfortunately, they were not able to. In the end, they just accepted it and said, and this is probably more important for them, that they had learned a lot more about various subjects that they had been interested in.

The one person I know who did managed to leverage on her MBA was a friend who quit her job and took a financial loan of USD200k to study for a Wharton MBA, which is a 2 years' master. Wharton MBA is consistently ranked Top 3 in any rankings for best MBA globally. It has often overtaken Harvard's MBA as the best MBA available. After finishing her MBA, she managed to get a well paying consulting job in USA and she hopes to pay off her loan in a few years.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0104sec    0.33    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:19 PM