Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Home Security camera system - wifi security/leak?

views

TSplumberly
post Aug 18 2022, 09:27 PM, updated 2y ago

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

Hope that I am using the correct forum for this topic.

Setting up a home security camera system. Camera via wifi to the router then to mobile (wifi) and network video recorder (wifi).

Tested it the other night while having dinner outside. Can view my cameras via my mobile on the restaurant's wifi.

Besides the security on the restaurant wifi, any security issues I should look into and correct?

Don't want anyone hacking into my security camera system.

Thanks.

Mickz
post Aug 18 2022, 09:46 PM

21 posts

really depends on your NVR, and how you are accessing it.

If it's cloud based, then nothing much you can do in addition to making sure to keep your login details safe, and enabling 2FA if the cloud service provides it.

If you're connecting direction to the NVR (via a dynamic ip), then aside from your password, you might want to change your external ports from the default to something not so easily associated with a nvr/ip camera port. Also you could throw in some additional settings if you have a good firewall to not allow any random person to access the NVR from outside your local network.
WaCKy-Angel
post Aug 18 2022, 09:55 PM

PeACe~~
All Stars
21,509 posts

QUOTE(plumberly @ Aug 18 2022, 09:27 PM)
Hope that I am using the correct forum for this topic.

Setting up a home security camera system. Camera via wifi to the router then to mobile (wifi) and network video recorder (wifi).

Tested it the other night while having dinner outside. Can view my cameras via my mobile on the restaurant's wifi.

Besides the security on the restaurant wifi, any security issues I should look into and correct?

Don't want anyone hacking into my security camera system.

Thanks.
If it requires an id/password to view then i'd consider its quite safe. its only camera anyway the most a hacker can do is watch u so dont do any hanky panky infront camera?

If the system allow u to configure only specific IP can access then it would be much more secure, though it would be hard to use mobile coz i dont think mobile provider gives u static public IP.

If u still worried, then turn off internet viewing.
TSplumberly
post Aug 20 2022, 09:58 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(Mickz @ Aug 18 2022, 09:46 PM)
really depends on your NVR, and how you are accessing it.

If it's cloud based, then nothing much you can do in addition to making sure to keep your login details safe, and enabling 2FA if the cloud service provides it.

If you're connecting direction to the NVR (via a dynamic ip), then aside from your password, you might want to change your external ports from the default to something not so easily associated with a nvr/ip camera port. Also you could throw in some additional settings if you have a good firewall to not allow any random person to access the NVR from outside your local network.
Thanks.

My NVR is an isolated device, not connected to my PC. It communicates via wifi with router and mobile. I thought as long as my wifi setup and my LAN are ok, then I should be fine.

For my above setup, what common hacking attack route on the wifi and LAN should I check and implement a barrier?

Thanks.

TSplumberly
post Aug 20 2022, 10:09 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Aug 18 2022, 09:55 PM)
If it requires an id/password to view then i'd consider its quite safe. its only camera anyway the most a hacker can do is watch u so dont do any hanky panky infront camera?

***  The password part is only when setting up the system (camera and mobile). Once done, no need for a password to access the camera when outside the home. So still safe?

***  Cannot guarantee no hanky panky 24/7 mah. Cannot be so mindful the whole day. Just kidding.

If the system allows u to configure only specific IP can access then it would be much more secure, though it would be hard to use mobile coz i dont think mobile provider gives u static public IP.

***  The IP is set by the camera software. I will check if it is a dynamic or static IP.

If u still worried, then turn off internet viewing.

***  After using it for days now, dont think there is an option to disable internet viewing.

***  If X has the camera software and hacked into my wifi via mobile, then it is watching movies time for X? Ha. Can it be so simple and straightforward?
viperking2022 P
post Sep 2 2022, 11:25 AM

Probation
3 posts

Honestly, those system very easy to hack but because the home ISP usually is randomized IP so it is difficult for people to know what IP you using the the moment they try to connect to. Unless you setting up Dynamic DNS on your router to point to your NVR or DVR or Home Surveillance System. Some system allow you to direct setup Dynamic DNS on the device itself.

If you like to be more secure, get a Raspberry Pi and setup Pfsense and your own VPN server on it. Use VPN tunnel to connect back to your home then only remote in to view your camera. This is the best and most secure way.
TSplumberly
post Sep 2 2022, 12:49 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(viperking2022 @ Sep 2 2022, 11:25 AM)
Honestly, those system very easy to hack but because the home ISP usually is randomized IP so it is difficult for people to know what IP you using the the moment they try to connect to. Unless you setting up Dynamic DNS on your router to point to your NVR or DVR or Home Surveillance System. Some system allow you to direct setup Dynamic DNS on the device itself.

If you like to be more secure, get a Raspberry Pi and setup Pfsense and your own VPN server on it. Use VPN tunnel to connect back to your home then only remote in to view your camera. This is the best and most secure way.
Noted and thanks.

I will need x classes on your Pi suggestion! Ha.

jonathanYYDS
post Sep 5 2022, 08:33 AM

Getting Started
144 posts

QUOTE(plumberly @ Sep 2 2022, 12:49 PM)
Noted and thanks.

I will need x classes on your Pi suggestion! Ha.
Raspberry Pi is easy to learn. It has tonnes of tutorial online in Youtube which you can learn and play around with it. I have Raspberry Pi too. You can also setup your Raspberry Pi to be your Smart Home controller, which you can control all the smart devices in your home such as aircon, light, fan, microwave, CCTV, alarm, rice cooker, etc. I running my Raspberry Pi 24x7 for over a year without turning off it.
TSplumberly
post Sep 5 2022, 09:07 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(jonathanYYDS @ Sep 5 2022, 08:33 AM)
Raspberry Pi is easy to learn. It has tonnes of tutorial online in Youtube which you can learn and play around with it. I have Raspberry Pi too. You can also setup your Raspberry Pi to be your Smart Home controller, which you can control all the smart devices in your home such as aircon, light, fan, microwave, CCTV, alarm, rice cooker, etc. I running my Raspberry Pi 24x7 for over a year without turning off it.
Thanks!

Your best 2 videos on PI tutorial?

Cheerio.

acbc
post Sep 5 2022, 09:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!
8,476 posts

Reset your cloud-based NVR passwords!

Most cloud-based IP cameras used 12345 or abc123 as the default passwords. Some video leak websites exploited this feature and share the camera with the rest of the world.

I found those using TP-Link Tapo had the same problem. The default password for third party access is 12345 or an empty password.
TSplumberly
post Sep 5 2022, 11:02 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(acbc @ Sep 5 2022, 09:13 AM)

Most cloud-based IP cameras used 12345 or abc123 as the default passwords. Some video leak websites exploited this feature and share the camera with the rest of the world.

I found those using TP-Link Tapo had the same problem. The default password for third party access is 12345 or an empty password.
Noted and thanks.
TSplumberly
post Sep 5 2022, 11:03 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

Noted and thanks.
TSplumberly
post Sep 5 2022, 11:04 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

Noted and thanks.
jonathanYYDS
post Sep 6 2022, 07:58 AM

Getting Started
144 posts

QUOTE(plumberly @ Aug 20 2022, 09:58 AM)
Thanks.

My NVR is an isolated device, not connected to my PC. It communicates via wifi with router and mobile. I thought as long as my wifi setup and my LAN are ok, then I should be fine.

For my above setup, what common hacking attack route on the wifi and LAN should I check and implement a barrier?

Thanks.
Basically, WiFi router is very weak and easy to hack. If you don't have firewall features on your router, I don't recommend you to link it to your WiFi router or 4G data. Nowadays if you wish to link any system to allow remote access, you need firewall which only allow specific ports to come in from external. There are plenty of video available teaching how to hack WiFi and how to scan for available port based on your IP.
TSplumberly
post Sep 6 2022, 09:06 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(jonathanYYDS @ Sep 6 2022, 07:58 AM)
Basically, WiFi router is very weak and easy to hack. If you don't have firewall features on your router, I don't recommend you to link it to your WiFi router or 4G data. Nowadays if you wish to link any system to allow remote access, you need firewall which only allow specific ports to come in from external. There are plenty of video available teaching how to hack WiFi and how to scan for available port based on your IP.
Thanks. Will study more.

daisiesdontdoit92
post Sep 12 2022, 11:20 PM

On my way
574 posts

Security cameras are supposed to provide security, but without proper use, your privacy can be leaked. https://www.hackread.com/3tb-clips-hacked-h...cameras-leaked/
3TB of clips from exposed home security cameras posted online
TSplumberly
post Sep 13 2022, 09:05 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(daisiesdontdoit92 @ Sep 12 2022, 11:20 PM)
Security cameras are supposed to provide security, but without proper use, your privacy can be leaked. https://www.hackread.com/3tb-clips-hacked-h...cameras-leaked/
3TB of clips from exposed home security cameras posted online
Noted and thanks.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0206sec    0.31    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:16 PM