Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

2017 KIA Optima GT or 2016 BMW 320i F30 FL, C/D segment sedan within RM100-120k

2017 KIA Optima GT or 2016 BMW 320i F30 FL

Optima GT [ 30 ] ** [56.60%]
320I LCI [ 18 ] ** [33.96%]
Others [ 5 ] ** [9.43%]
Total Votes: 53
Guests cannot vote 
views

post Aug 17 2022, 07:54 AM

Getting Started
262 posts

QUOTE(ZeneticX @ Aug 16 2022, 02:56 PM)
I duno about K3 or Forte but for Picanto TA, usually its not the issue of the transmission itself, but the TCU or ECU. Once its replaced the issue is resolved. These 2 components are known to be problematic once the car reaches 100k km+. Again this is what I observed for Picanto TA
Yea that is what happened to most Kia 4AT tranny...but for the 6AT I really got no idea what is the cause...no solution found so far...recently seen 1 member did a transmission valve body replacement, still observing his feedback
4WD_er
post Aug 17 2022, 01:45 PM

Casual
459 posts

QUOTE(ZeneticX @ Aug 16 2022, 02:56 PM)
I duno about K3 or Forte but for Picanto TA, usually its not the issue of the transmission itself, but the TCU or ECU. Once its replaced the issue is resolved. These 2 components are known to be problematic once the car reaches 100k km+. Again this is what I observed for Picanto TA
TCU or ECU get moist over time and causing the TCU/ECU misbehave ? I do know that some owners sent their ECU for repair which cost RM600+ if not mistaken (for Picanto). I think the same happens to Rio 1.4 as well. But don't hear so much on transmission failure to be honest.
ZeneticX
post Aug 17 2022, 03:11 PM

stars for what
All Stars
11,769 posts

QUOTE(4WD_er @ Aug 17 2022, 01:45 PM)
TCU or ECU get moist over time and causing the TCU/ECU misbehave ?  I do know that some owners sent their ECU for repair which cost RM600+ if not mistaken (for Picanto).  I think the same happens to Rio 1.4 as well.  But don't hear so much on transmission failure to be honest.
Some say its prolonged heat since the TCU/ECU is located next to the engine, some also say is prolonged use of inappropriate battery with low CCA, there's also some who say its the quality issue of the TCU/ECU itself by Kefico. Like what mentioned above, it only happens to the 4 speed AT models. The transmission itself is rock solid, just the TCU/ECU causing issues

Also its only reported in Picanto TA so far, no reports for Picanto JA (2018+) yet
Jason
post Aug 18 2022, 02:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,846 posts

QUOTE(Quang1819 @ Jul 30 2022, 01:38 AM)
Hey guys, if you were to have a budget of 100-120k, which of the two you'd go for?

Optima GT
Pros
- powerful engine, great torque
- very planted at high speed (200km/h). Not that I'll go that fast but 160-180km/h on highway is absolutely comfortable. Cruises like a ship.
- decent interior
- panoramic roof
- spacious
- comfortable seats, like really comfortable
- not much but kinda like it's functional air vent at the front bumper haha

Cons
- horrible FC. 70L tank can only go up to 380km in city. Mix of highway and city is only around 450km top.
- heavy for its class 
- scarcity of spare parts. Heard it's only about 500 units were sold on our shore.
- handling isn't that great. Feels a little gimmickry and not as connected
320i
Pros
- good looking car. Love the LCI lighting
- decent FC
- good power for its size. Torque is great for normal driving.
- great handling
- reliable ZF tranny
- spare parts are always easily available and isn't as pricey
- a little bonus for BMW badge snob? Lol

Cons
- dated interior
- prone to have minor issues here and there with the silly and unreliable sensors. Especially speed sensors.
- typical conti engine issues like coolant, gasket etc.
- B48 tends to have a part at the bottom of the engine that get rusty easily on Malaysia weather. Quite a costly fix too.
- sticky plastics. But it's an easy and cheap fix anyway

There. Still in a dilemma between the 2. Let me know if you have any suggestions within the budget. Only sedan, turbocharged and C/D segment. Bonus would be sunroof haha.
I won't consider the Kia at call. Cantonese call it cold door. You're going to get a lot of headaches down the road, how I know? I got cold door cars at home. And seriously between these 2 its no comparison, unless you need space. The BMW hands down.

B48 rust? Totally not aware of this. Apart from the usual gasket issues and oil leaking which is common with BMWs, never heard of rust issues. If anything the Bx8 series have been pretty reliable relative to its predecessors with the DISAs and VANOS wear & tear issues. Also rust is more prevalent if you are near the sea, or in winter countries where they salt the road. In Malaysia? Not really that bad relatively. Gaskets are not expensive fix.

No sensor issues I've heard of from owners group. Speed sensor / ABS sensor is common with VAG, not BMW.

Sticky plastic is common issue but easy fix.

Nobody gives a shit you drive a BMW, whole road also BMW so no bonus there. As for the dated interior, step inside the BMW G20, and then step inside the Mercedes W206. The BMW is dated. Actually it is their interior design language, less flashy, more functional and consistent across its generation. I think the word journalists uses is Teutonic design language. Stepping in between E46, E90, F30 you won't feel a revolution, just evolution over time.

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0365sec    0.30    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:21 PM