Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Going to the UK After STPM

views

TSyry1077 P
post Jul 20 2022, 08:10 PM, updated 2y ago

Probation
2 posts

Hi everyone. For your information, I'm a fresh SPM leaver with 7A+ and 2As. As I would like to save up money for the future, I have decided to take the cost-saving STPM programme to pursue law overseas (preferably in the UK, although Australia would be nice as well). The scholarships I obtained in private unis to pursue A-Levels are still not quite sufficient, unfortunately.

However, I have been informed that I might need to wait a whole year before I could apply to UK universities after I obtain my STPM results. Is that true, and if so, could I apply for it using my forecast results instead? Is there any way to overcome this problem?

Furthermore, its difficulty worries me. I understand that STPM would be an incredible challenge, but will it truly be on another level?

Finally, will taking STPM lower my chances to enter UK universities compared to taking A-Levels? Yes, they're both accepted worldwide, but I've heard that only a few students get to study overseas with an STPM cert each year. Did you manage to study overseas with an STPM certificate, or do you have any friends who did so?

I would love your opinions on these. Thank you in advance.
MrBaba
post Jul 20 2022, 08:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,123 posts

A level more recognise then stpm, but both can use la no issue . My advice is go for A level why SPM + stpm wait result je is like almost 1 yr gone why waste time waiting ?..

This post has been edited by MrBaba: Jul 20 2022, 08:24 PM
Just Visiting By
post Jul 20 2022, 10:04 PM

Regular
1,828 posts

QUOTE(yry1077 @ Jul 20 2022, 08:10 PM)
Hi everyone. For your information, I'm a fresh SPM leaver with 7A+ and 2As. As I would like to save up money for the future, I have decided to take the cost-saving STPM programme to pursue law overseas (preferably in the UK, although Australia would be nice as well). The scholarships I obtained in private unis to pursue A-Levels are still not quite sufficient, unfortunately.

However, I have been informed that I might need to wait a whole year before I could apply to UK universities after I obtain my STPM results. Is that true, and if so, could I apply for it using my forecast results instead? Is there any way to overcome this problem?

Furthermore, its difficulty worries me. I understand that STPM would be an incredible challenge, but will it truly be on another level?

Finally, will taking STPM lower my chances to enter UK universities compared to taking A-Levels? Yes, they're both accepted worldwide, but I've heard that only a few students get to study overseas with an STPM cert each year. Did you manage to study overseas with an STPM certificate, or do you have any friends who did so?

As a working adult who sat for STPM ten years ago, I still don't know why people absolutely despise the notion of one gap year. Nobody I know who graduated one year earlier than me actually rejoice the idea of being outside to work early and earn more money. Everyone around me is complaining about their job and how underpaid they are.

My advice? Don't worry about the gap year. Nobody I've met, I mean ever, regrets having that gap year or celebrating graduating one year earlier than their STPM peers. Nobody ever. In fact, nobody ever cares what age you graduate, as long as it's not too late. People who studied diploma took even longer to graduate degree despite exemptions.

If you have financial difficulties and want to graduate early to assist your family financially, I would understand. But this doesn't seem to apply to your case, if you can afford to go overseas for law degree. So I guess you currently just despise the idea of graduating one year later than your peers - trust me when I say, this is so insignificant and unmemorable, that nobody mentions it at all after you graduate from your degree.

The thing about studying law is that you must be very good in English. Law has always been about interpretations and semantics and case studies, especially on binding precedents. You need to make sure you score very well in MUET, even though it'll not be recognised overseas as an acceptable English Language Proficiency Test, because what you scored in MUET would be a good indicator of your English proficiency. My advice is that you should aim for a minimum of Band 5, with Band 4 the lowest acceptable limit but preferably above 200 score. You'll need to sit for IELTS for universities overseas if you sit for STPM. Law schools normally demand a higher grade, at least 7.5 with no component below 7.0, depending on the university in question.

Overseas universities accept STPM, don't worry about it, but it's true that scholars tend to hunt for A-Level students and thus A-Level students normally gain better acceptance and would likely secure better scholarships. But if you apply with STPM results, your application will be processed and treated as well with a good likelihood of acceptance if your result is good. But note that if you are aiming for top universities, you need to ensure your grades are competitive, and it's also an unfortunate truth that STPM is harder than A-Level and thus the difficulty to gain a similarly competitive grade would be higher.

In other case, worse comes to worse, you can just study in Malaysia. I know it's not your top option, but I'm just informing you that it's a realistic one you could look into. After all, if you study overseas, you'll still need to come back and sit for a professional exam to be admitted as a practising lawyer. In the end, it's the professional recognition and exams that are the priorities.

This post has been edited by Just Visiting By: Jul 20 2022, 10:11 PM
digitalz
post Jul 21 2022, 01:08 PM

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
2,030 posts

STPM no issues. Obviously some universities have a preference but STPM is still acceptable widely across the board.

If you are considering law, and if you want to do it without CLP/BPTC or those equivalent, local universities would be a good choice too. At least you can start on your pupillage after you've graduated.

Also, LLB is not hard to get. You might be slower in LLB but if you manage to go through your CLP/BPTC, you might progress faster compared to your peers as well. Either that or you end up in a public uni or MMU, you'd skip the process altogether.
prelude23
post Jul 21 2022, 03:47 PM

fYeah!!
2,497 posts

I really think taking STPM to study Law is not the greatest idea. Assuming you are from Science stream, you do PA, Add Maths, Chemistry, Physics or Bio. All unrelated to Law. If Arts stream, even worse. PA, BM, Geografi, Perniagaan or Seni - whichever the school offers. Unrelated again. So you are wasting 1.5 years doing unrelated subjects and pray you dont flunk in them. You are obviously well to do since you are able to go overseas so why not do A Levels (there's Law subject in it) or Foundation directly.

STPM results usually comes out on March (pre-MCO) so you wouldnt need to wait another year to join UK unis. Most UK unis have intake on September. More than enough time to apply your student visa.
prelude23
post Jul 21 2022, 03:52 PM

fYeah!!
2,497 posts

QUOTE(Just Visiting By @ Jul 20 2022, 10:04 PM)
As a working adult who sat for STPM ten years ago, I still don't know why people absolutely despise the notion of one gap year. Nobody I know who graduated one year earlier than me actually rejoice the idea of being outside to work early and earn more money. Everyone around me is complaining about their job and how underpaid they are.

My advice? Don't worry about the gap year. Nobody I've met, I mean ever, regrets having that gap year or celebrating graduating one year earlier than their STPM peers. Nobody ever. In fact, nobody ever cares what age you graduate, as long as it's not too late. People who studied diploma took even longer to graduate degree despite exemptions.

If you have financial difficulties and want to graduate early to assist your family financially, I would understand. But this doesn't seem to apply to your case, if you can afford to go overseas for law degree. So I guess you currently just despise the idea of graduating one year later than your peers - trust me when I say, this is so insignificant and unmemorable, that nobody mentions it at all after you graduate from your degree.

I agree about your comment on gap years. It's really insignificant to graduate earlier or later than your peers by a year or two. But then most students don't fully utilized their gap year. They just laze at home or hang out with friends here and there. So the advantage of a gap year is lost there.
nexona88
post Jul 21 2022, 04:05 PM

The Royal Club Member
All Stars
41,806 posts

STPM no issues.

well some universities do have a preference on A lvl but STPM is still acceptable...
akhito
post Jul 21 2022, 04:39 PM

On my way
686 posts

Pre mco STPM finished like during year end, so I personally had 9 months before applying for university in September intake. But 2022 batch had third semester test finished in early April. U should try ask some of the students now how they cope with it. In general they are no forecast result, just calculated aggregated mark from sem 1 and sem 2 but that depends on the university whether to accept or not
In term of difficulty, STPM is slightly harder than A level. Not only due to the syllabus but also due to the unbalanced teaching quality. Sometimes it is very easy to study when ur teacher is good and know the syllabus inside out. But throughout my experience, that is kinda luck factor so u need to take ur own initiative to study. anyway u can think of maybe group studying, go for tuition or etc
I dun think STPM will lower chance of getting into unis granted u are paying them out of ur own pocket and with a good grade >3.5  and surpassing minimum requirement). I did know someone that got offer for NTU  for Chemical and Biochemical Engineering with STPM 4.0 but not specifically UK unis. I think that STPM is an universally applicable as A-level so as long the result are good u can go anywhere.
Just that ppl rarely took STPM to study oversea, they rather stay focused and paying for tuition to ace A-level. Another thing to consider is STPM had less law related subject, A level will better in this sense as mentioned by other forummer.

This post has been edited by akhito: Jul 21 2022, 04:40 PM
iSean
post Jul 21 2022, 07:28 PM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

Hi ya, your SPM Grade is eligible for Scholarships in Sunway/Taylors/TARUC/INTI/BAC for AUSMAT/SAM or A-Levels go for that instead.
It will be easier than you suffer in STPM with less facility.

If you want to study Law, there will be BAC/ATC for that thru A-level Law.

BAC got one special 1 year course, take like 2 subjects for A Levels, then apply UCAS to UK.

This post has been edited by iSean: Jul 21 2022, 07:29 PM
Just Visiting By
post Jul 21 2022, 11:13 PM

Regular
1,828 posts

QUOTE(prelude23 @ Jul 21 2022, 03:52 PM)
I agree about your comment on gap years. It's really insignificant to graduate earlier or later than your peers by a year or two. But then most students don't fully utilized their gap year. They just laze at home or hang out with friends here and there. So the advantage of a gap year is lost there.
Well, yes, admittedly, whether the gap year would be meaningfully utilised would be dependent on the individual. But I just want to stress that it doesn't matter if one graduate early or late. I have so many friends who shuddered at the thought of graduating one year later, as if it's a social embarrassment. Today, nobody mentions about it anymore. Probably just the kiasu-ness back at the time.
Mike.Chang
post Jul 22 2022, 07:57 AM

Getting Started
78 posts

QUOTE(Just Visiting By @ Jul 21 2022, 11:13 PM)
Well, yes, admittedly, whether the gap year would be meaningfully utilised would be dependent on the individual. But I just want to stress that it doesn't matter if one graduate early or late. I have so many friends who shuddered at the thought of graduating one year later, as if it's a social embarrassment. Today, nobody mentions about it anymore. Probably just the kiasu-ness back at the time.
I think it is always better to graduate early to be faster on your feet in terms of earning some financial income or getting exposure and hard knock out punch from the ruthless society.
I did Engineering, what I learnt in university cannot be applied 80% into the current job I am in... shakehead.gif

I'm expecting someone who do Law, go UK study law, come back to Malaysia will be facing some similar issues. laugh.gif
digitalz
post Jul 22 2022, 09:11 AM

2,030 posts

QUOTE(Mike.Chang @ Jul 22 2022, 07:57 AM)
I think it is always better to graduate early to be faster on your feet in terms of earning some financial income or getting exposure and hard knock out punch from the ruthless society.
I did Engineering, what I learnt in university cannot be applied 80% into the current job I am in...  shakehead.gif

I'm expecting someone who do Law, go UK study law, come back to Malaysia will be facing some similar issues. laugh.gif
Much lesser. One will have a pupillage period for 9 months to "train" depending on how good the pupil-master is. So its a very different thing compared to engineering.
Just Visiting By
post Jul 22 2022, 10:53 AM

Regular
1,828 posts

QUOTE(Mike.Chang @ Jul 22 2022, 07:57 AM)
I did Engineering, what I learnt in university cannot be applied 80% into the current job I am in...  shakehead.gif

It kinda depends. I've met people who never had a gap year, study all the way and graduate early, but the problem is very little social maturity and they join the workforce with little experience on workplace politics and social interactions that'll be different from a learning environment, especially when you're surrounded by people of all ages instead of just your peers of similar ages in a classroom/lecture hall, and people who are protecting own ass in a workplace than friends who are less likely to do so.

People who took a gap year, and if they actually utilised that gap year to work, likely would come out finding themselves easing into a workplace smoother because they would have had some social maturity. Not to say graduate with no working experience is bad, it can be learnt, but it's a subtle advantage that people often overlook.

And yes, I'm also an engineer. Civil. But from civil engineering viewpoint, graduating early really provides no significant benefits. It's for individual preferences.

Also I think I made a calculation a long time ago. Assuming A-Levels cost RM32,000 per year (Taylor's fee for 3 subjects in 2022), and you travel to another place for study (say KL), you'll need to pay for a lot more to get around. Let's say accommodation at RM700/month. Let's throw in cost of living at RM600 per month (which is likely insufficient) and exclude owning a car at the moment. That'll be (RM32,000 + RM700X12 + RM600X12) = RM47,600/year, give or take. That's RM3,967/month. If you study STPM, it'll be virtually free. You don't save that much money graduating early if you go A-Levels. You earn earlier, but you spent a lot more before that.

This post has been edited by Just Visiting By: Jul 22 2022, 11:03 AM
CyberSetan
post Jul 23 2022, 07:50 PM

-KNowLEdGe BRiNGs FEaR-
2,481 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

If you want to come back and practice as a lawyer in Malaysia... better just do LLB in Malaysia.
Foreign law graduates struggle to pass CLP.

Mind you UK laws are different from Malaysian laws. Malaysian laws are much more similar to Singapore and India's laws.

Just forget overseas law and just do it in University Malaya. They now offers LLB via their 'private' pathway, it cost only RM77k+.... way cheaper than studying law abroad and no need to come back need to do CLP.

https://umcced.edu.my/programme/satu/laws

This post has been edited by CyberSetan: Jul 23 2022, 07:52 PM
Just Visiting By
post Jul 23 2022, 10:43 PM

Regular
1,828 posts

QUOTE(CyberSetan @ Jul 23 2022, 07:50 PM)

If you want to come back and practice as a lawyer in Malaysia... better just do LLB in Malaysia.

Mind you UK laws are different from Malaysian laws. Malaysian laws are much more similar to Singapore and India's laws.

Just forget overseas law and just do it in University Malaya. They now offers LLB via their 'private' pathway, it cost only RM77k+.... way cheaper than studying law abroad and no need to come back need to do CLP.

Not that expensive for a local student, I think?
PV boy
post Jul 24 2022, 10:26 AM

Getting Started
157 posts

My 2 cents, work in a lawyer film as a general worker there, merge yourself with the lawyers and experience their life during your gap year...

By the way gap year is a good pathway for students before graduate, your point of view and maturity will be much more different from those without that experience, it is very useful for your continuous study later on like all sifu mentioned above.
MGM
post Aug 9 2022, 05:27 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,384 posts

If just want to practice law locally, this makes the most sense.
tpleong
post Aug 10 2022, 07:44 AM

Enthusiast
795 posts

Normally those doing law in UK, do their Bar in UK as well . They don't do CLP.

One thing TS has to bear in mind is that it is very difficult to get a job for lawyer in UK after graduation.

This post has been edited by tpleong: Aug 10 2022, 07:46 AM
digitalz
post Aug 10 2022, 09:44 AM

2,030 posts

Generally the overall fundamentals in law is the same. Commonwealth countries are basically the same apart from some of the matters like land law etc but the basics are still the same.

To TS, the system in the UK is similar to HK. You opt to become a solicitor or a barrister after your LLB in the UK. However, in Malaysia, you can only get called to the Malaya Bar if you are a barrister (unless you hit specific requirements such as experience as a solicitor for xxx years etc).

To be qualified as a barrister - you'd need to find a firm/master to take you under their wing and the competition is tough. Some people take 1 year+ to get their pupillage spot and some just decided to join a solicitor firm/work certain in-house roles instead.

Contrary to the beliefs, there are actually a lot of students that don't do the UK bar but opt for the CLP instead. 4 attempts only. Some quit after 2nd attempt and started working on other roles before trying to make a comeback.

Although there were attempts to change the CLP in a common bar but the public universities were very reluctant to change as they are worried that their students will lose the edge/perks after graduation. This is very unfortunate to be honest.

Bar not easy, CLP also not easy but if there's any change, a common bar with a 1.5 year - 2 year thing like the barrister (first, 2nd, 3rd six would be good training for any upcoming lawyers in Malaysia).

This post has been edited by digitalz: Aug 10 2022, 09:47 AM
sameday
post Aug 10 2022, 10:04 AM

Getting Started
212 posts

QUOTE(Just Visiting By @ Jul 20 2022, 10:04 PM)

The thing about studying law is that you must be very good in English. Law has always been about interpretations and semantics and case studies, especially on binding precedents. You need to make sure you score very well in MUET, even though it'll not be recognised overseas as an acceptable English Language Proficiency Test, because what you scored in MUET would be a good indicator of your English proficiency. My advice is that you should aim for a minimum of Band 5, with Band 4 the lowest acceptable limit but preferably above 200 score. You'll need to sit for IELTS for universities overseas if you sit for STPM. Law schools normally demand a higher grade, at least 7.5 with no component below 7.0, depending on the university in question.

Overseas universities accept STPM, don't worry about it, but it's true that scholars tend to hunt for A-Level students and thus A-Level students normally gain better acceptance and would likely secure better scholarships. But if you apply with STPM results, your application will be processed and treated as well with a good likelihood of acceptance if your result is good. But note that if you are aiming for top universities, you need to ensure your grades are competitive, and it's also an unfortunate truth that STPM is harder than A-Level and thus the difficulty to gain a similarly competitive grade would be higher.

In other case, worse comes to worse, you can just study in Malaysia. I know it's not your top option, but I'm just informing you that it's a realistic one you could look into. After all, if you study overseas, you'll still need to come back and sit for a professional exam to be admitted as a practising lawyer. In the end, it's the professional recognition and exams that are the priorities.
Fully agreed. To Add on.

Those going thru STPM, u hv an add on pressure cooker on you, sometimes u do not hv good teachers in your school, u hv to take subject you don't like
as there's compulsory subject u hv to take.. like general paper... that's why generally Stpm student can handle it very well when face with pressure , unfairness, willing to take on extra, burn mid night oil more often.. all this was built into you when u going thru the process of that stpm hell without u knowing it.

that's the thing which do not show in your subject.

lastly, yes, u hv a back up plan for local university...

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0216sec    0.43    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:41 AM