Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

UniKL FIST (Foundation in science and technology)

views

TSEttic P
post Jul 4 2022, 12:31 AM, updated 2y ago

Probation
5 posts

Hi, i got offered to do FIST in UniKL MIDI. subjects offered are physics,math and chemistry. i want you guys opinions about it. i'm actually art student happen to get A in math and science but i don't know if i can cope it. Yes i do like sciences subjects such as physics and chem but i got no basic console.gif hmm.gif
CyberSetan
post Jul 4 2022, 12:48 AM

-KNowLEdGe BRiNGs FEaR-
2,481 posts

QUOTE(Ettic @ Jul 4 2022, 12:31 AM)
Hi, i got offered to do FIST in UniKL MIDI. subjects offered are physics,math and chemistry. i want you guys opinions about it. i'm actually art student happen to get A in math and science but i don't know if i can cope it. Yes i do like sciences subjects such as physics and chem but i got no basic  console.gif  hmm.gif
If you want to save money (or your parents money), just get into STPM in government school.

https://www.easyuni.my/en/advice/former-stp...the-beans-2891/
TSEttic P
post Jul 4 2022, 01:00 AM

Probation
5 posts

[quote=CyberSetan,Jul 4 2022, 12:48 AM]
If you want to save money (or your parents money), just get into STPM in government school.

hi thank you for your reply, i actually wanted to go into STEM related in uni, but for stpm i need to take art stream since i was an art stream in spm unsure.gif

CyberSetan
post Jul 4 2022, 02:20 AM

-KNowLEdGe BRiNGs FEaR-
2,481 posts

QUOTE(Ettic @ Jul 4 2022, 01:00 AM)
hi thank you for your reply, i actually wanted to go into STEM related in uni, but for stpm i need to take art stream since i was an art stream in spmĀ  unsure.gif
what course are you aiming for?

Without basics in Chemistry and Physics at SPM level, you will have a horrible time studying them at an even higher level unless you are some kind of genius.

At a higher level chemistry (STPM/A-levels) - the subject is further divided into Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry and Physical Chemistry.... It will be very tough if you don't have any basics in Chemistry...

You will need advanced mathematics at SPM level too if you are planning to take Physics at a higher level...

Just look at the syllabus for STPM for chemistry and physics below (it should be more or less the same with A-levels as the scope of knowledge needed in both subjects should be the same in order to prepare for entry to a Bachelors degree level):

https://www.mpm.edu.my/en/stpm/stpm-syllabus/2?id=96

This post has been edited by CyberSetan: Jul 4 2022, 02:22 AM
Just Visiting By
post Jul 4 2022, 01:28 PM

Regular
1,828 posts

QUOTE(CyberSetan @ Jul 4 2022, 02:20 AM)

Without basics in Chemistry and Physics at SPM level, you will have a horrible time studying them at an even higher level unless you are some kind of genius.

At a higher level chemistry (STPM/A-levels) - the subject is further divided into Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry and Physical Chemistry.... It will be very tough if you don't have any basics in Chemistry...

You will need advanced mathematics at SPM level too if you are planning to take Physics at a higher level...

Just look at the syllabus for STPM for chemistry and physics below (it should be more or less the same with A-levels as the scope of knowledge needed in both subjects should be the same in order to prepare for entry to a Bachelors degree level):

https://www.mpm.edu.my/en/stpm/stpm-syllabus/2?id=96
In addition to that, don't take Maths (T), or any foundational Maths, if one has not taken Additional Maths at SPM level.

TSEttic P
post Jul 4 2022, 01:44 PM

Probation
5 posts

QUOTE(CyberSetan @ Jul 4 2022, 02:20 AM)

course probably Computer science but not sure yet because i liked to solve problems and math, but you're right i'd be dead cus no basics
CyberSetan
post Jul 4 2022, 06:21 PM

-KNowLEdGe BRiNGs FEaR-
2,481 posts

QUOTE(Ettic @ Jul 4 2022, 01:44 PM)
course probably Computer science but not sure yet because i liked to solve problems and math, but you're right i'd be dead cus no basics
If you are just aiming for Computer Science degree, then Maths at STPM level is a must.
My advise, take the STPM route to save money rather than spending it on expensive private pre-U programs..

You will need that money later to pay for your degree studies.

Score STPM, you might just be offered scholarship.

See here for the requirement to study Computer Science at Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP):

https://www.utp.edu.my/Pages/Admission/Unde...nce-(Hons).aspx

**dont worry about the minimum C requirement for Add Maths at SPM level. You score Maths at STPM level, they wont even care about your Maths at SPM level.

This post has been edited by CyberSetan: Jul 4 2022, 06:23 PM
TSEttic P
post Jul 4 2022, 09:14 PM

Probation
5 posts

QUOTE(CyberSetan @ Jul 4 2022, 06:21 PM)
If you are just aiming for Computer Science degree, then Maths at STPM level is a must.
My advise, take the STPM route to save money rather than spending it on expensive private pre-U programs..

You will need that money later to pay for your degree studies.

Score STPM, you might just be offered scholarship.

See here for the requirement to study Computer Science at Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP):

**dont worry about the minimum C requirement for Add Maths at SPM level. You score Maths at STPM level, they wont even care about your Maths at SPM level.
thank you for the info, i really appreciate it and yeah i do agree, stpm fees are cheap. now just need to talk to fam smile.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0181sec    0.33    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:57 PM