Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Moved out before contract expires

views

TSoracle02
post May 19 2022, 11:10 AM, updated 2y ago

36 posts

Hi everyone, I've been renting a place and I signed a one year contract for 1/09/2021 to 31/08/2022. I had to move out by end of April 2022 and I have informed the agent earlier. The agent is weird, never gave me the owner's contact details since I moved in and I've been dealing with her all the time.

Anway, I've told her a month earlier that I have to move out earlier and will it be possible for me to get back the deposit. She then replied to me saying that the owner agrees to return 1 month deposit.

Hence, I've moved out and did everything she told me to do. Clean and the service air cond which is done. Paid of all water and electricity bill too. Send to her the receipts as proof of payment.

It's been two weeks since I've passed the keys to her and she's not responding to my messages on returning the deposit. I don't want to be harsh but what can I do now?

yeeck
post May 19 2022, 11:16 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,466 posts

Owner should be known by the management office, isn't it? Or via the utility bills.
InitialB
post May 19 2022, 11:19 AM

On my way
670 posts

2 week only, tumggu la.

the owner have to verified with tnb, water, come check then only return monei

you have breached the contract, if i were owner, the deposit should be forefeited.
h4r8_kIlLeR
post May 19 2022, 11:25 AM

Getting Started
87 posts

Satu bulan saja... Kasi halal saja
joshgm_119
post May 19 2022, 11:32 AM

Getting Started
171 posts

Isn't there owner name, address and contact number on the tenancy agreement that you could perhaps use to get in touch?

You're lucky that anything was agreed to be returned. Its a breach of contract, most owners do not have to nor will they refund anything.
benzxzx
post May 19 2022, 11:44 AM

Getting Started
160 posts

you have lost all your bargaining power and now you are at the mercy of landlord to decide if you deserve a refund of deposits.

You shouldnt be servicing the aircon as you are not obliged to do so, the agent could have taken your receipt and claim reimbursements from landlord as expenses incurred by her agency.

and also its unwise to go through with agents upon termination of contract, as you are kept in the dark and you wouldnt know if landlord had refunded to agents but agent decided to mia and roll with your money. stuff like this happens all the time.

learn from lessons and be smarter next time.
knwong
post May 19 2022, 11:44 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,951 posts

I'm curious why owner want to return your deposit?
ctys2012
post May 19 2022, 11:52 AM

Getting Started
248 posts

i think TS is polite enough to inform landlord + servicing the aircond, maybe he has a valid reason to terminate the agreement
i believe the landlord is also nice enough to return the deposit on goodwill.
most landlords here only think about forfeiting deposits for breach of contracts... not like you guys are making things easier at times like this
Icehart
post May 19 2022, 01:05 PM

All Stars
14,304 posts

Need to chase agent.
I also terminated my tenancy agreement prematurely before and landlord refunded 1 month deposit.
Everything was smooth.
mini orchard
post May 19 2022, 01:12 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,913 posts

QUOTE(oracle02 @ May 19 2022, 11:10 AM)
The agent is weird, never gave me the owner's contact details since I moved in and I've been dealing with her all the time.
More likely the agent is the owner or her immediate family.

This post has been edited by mini orchard: May 19 2022, 01:15 PM
pisces88
post May 19 2022, 01:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,711 posts

She sublet to u la i think
Lucas0323
post May 19 2022, 01:21 PM

Enthusiast
774 posts

QUOTE(InitialB @ May 19 2022, 11:19 AM)
2 week only, tumggu la.

the owner have to verified with tnb, water, come check then only  return monei

you have breached the contract, if i were owner, the deposit should be forefeited.
Not everyone is that harsh. Ppl rent also cuz poor ma.
Wait for 2 more weeks and see if gt back deposit.
overnoob
post May 19 2022, 01:22 PM

Getting Started
119 posts

Wait lor...if your harsh nothing good coming back to you since you are the one breached the contract... You didnt fulfilled the contract 1yr...

Docile
post May 19 2022, 01:49 PM

Naked Sleeper
404 posts

QUOTE(InitialB @ May 19 2022, 11:19 AM)
2 week only, tumggu la.

the owner have to verified with tnb, water, come check then only  return monei

Ayam pun got tenant ever breach contract before, but deposit is 2 months
So I return 1 month out of goodwill, fair fair
nghoongen
post May 19 2022, 02:12 PM

Casual
321 posts

You have breached the contract so if the landlord returned one month worth of deposit you should consider yourself lucky as your landlord returned it out of goodwill.
Pakatan SinMa Plus
post May 19 2022, 02:57 PM

Regular
1,123 posts

QUOTE(oracle02 @ May 19 2022, 11:10 AM)
Hi everyone, I've been renting a place and I signed a one year contract for 1/09/2021 to 31/08/2022. I had to move out by end of April 2022 and I have informed the agent earlier. The agent is weird, never gave me the owner's contact details since I moved in and I've been dealing with her all the time.

Anway, I've told her a month earlier that I have to move out earlier and will it be possible for me to get back the deposit. She then replied to me saying that the owner agrees to return 1 month deposit.

Hence, I've moved out and did everything she told me to do. Clean and the service air cond which is done. Paid of all water and electricity bill too. Send to her the receipts as proof of payment.

It's been two weeks since I've passed the keys to her and she's not responding to my messages on returning the deposit. I don't want to be harsh but what can I do now?
some owners do not want to interact with tenants, or they are staying oversea, so they leave everything to the agent to manage the property.

Perhaps you can send the agent a message as a reminder.

poweredbydiscuz
post May 19 2022, 03:09 PM

3,079 posts

Maybe contact her real estate agency if she still doesn't respond to your message in the next week or two.
LaserHorse
post May 19 2022, 03:22 PM

5 posts

What if the landlord breach the contract ? Can I do anything about it?

Or the landlord refuses to return the deposit because of some issues that "I caused",
I have photo proof of the issue being there since the beginning , but the landlord still refuses to accept my explanation.

mini orchard
post May 19 2022, 06:02 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,913 posts

QUOTE(LaserHorse @ May 19 2022, 03:22 PM)
What if the landlord breach the contract ? Can I do anything about it?

Or the landlord refuses to return the deposit because of some issues that "I caused",
I have photo proof of the issue being there since the beginning , but the landlord still refuses to accept my explanation.
You should have settle the problem then. Unless you have written communication to that effect, bring your case to tribunal.
Sensualpassion
post May 19 2022, 07:02 PM

Getting Started
154 posts

Personal experience here
-some agents will handle the property for owners, for a number of reasons. Possibilities include: they are being paid to manage the property/they want to manage it, so that they can keep a close eye on the property esp if they cover that particular area/condo/etc because they will have first dibs to list when the property is vacant
-2 weeks is a short while, anyway, if u are worried, pls check yr TA and see how long is the period that is stated to have yr deposits returned to you
-Owner's contact should be there as well in the TA

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0156sec    0.40    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:12 PM