Look at all my stars!!
4,046 posts

TS bawa agenda lgbt
toiletwater
post May 23 2022, 10:35 AM

On my way
525 posts

Any physical similarities?

Draw out family tree if you are concerned. Very unlikely to be related ba. There's like hundreds of thousands of 'Lim' in Msia.

andyng38
post May 23 2022, 12:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,109 posts

I don't think there should be any problem if non-related husband and wife have the same surname. Only know of 2 cases, one in sg and another in m'sia...all ok.

But pls don't name yr kids something like Lim Koh Pi. biggrin.gif
quireyuyue
post May 23 2022, 12:34 PM

Getting Started
137 posts

as long as both of you don't share the same great grandfather can already.
Hollow21
post May 23 2022, 01:09 PM

On my way
600 posts

Very improbable that you are related.

If yes, you really hailat and should buy lottery.
Zeliard
post May 23 2022, 01:36 PM

Getting Started
253 posts

QUOTE(Hollow21 @ May 23 2022, 01:09 PM)

This. Chinese here in Malaysia, seeing how we gain the ability to surf Lyn here most probably is 2nd or 3rd gen. That also quite unlikely for u to not know your cousin's or close relatives
knumskul
post May 23 2022, 02:01 PM

On my way
638 posts

QUOTE(Hollow21 @ May 23 2022, 01:09 PM)

QUOTE(Zeliard @ May 23 2022, 01:36 PM)
This. Chinese here in Malaysia, seeing how we gain the ability to surf Lyn here most probably is 2nd or 3rd gen. That also quite unlikely for u to not know your cousin's or close relatives
Whilst studying in Aus, I met a 2nd cousin in uni. Only found out we related after knowing each other for few years.
Turns out, my grand parent hopped off the boat in Malaysia but his did not.

TS should just get DNA checked, just in case. Especially since his family is overly concerned over this kind of thing.
andrekua2
post May 23 2022, 02:20 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,488 posts

If you asked your dad, I think can trace. There are also those surname association that you can refer to to track but you need to know a bit about your dad and grandfather background.

I think my dad told me before.

Example..

ME<>DAD<>GRANDFATHER(GRAND UNCLE/AUNT)<>UNCLE/AUNTIE<>SON/DAUGHTER

Anything within this 5 is still consider closely related. Once step beyond this, then consider loosely/not related.

p.s. correct me if Im wrong though... I also listen to my dad who explained how a female classmate of mine which shared my surname are somewhat related although not my cousin.

This post has been edited by andrekua2: May 23 2022, 02:21 PM
kamfoo
post May 23 2022, 03:05 PM

Enthusiast
792 posts

even if blood relation love is not wrong.
ticke
post May 23 2022, 03:25 PM

****E***y*u***i***@**
1,637 posts

QUOTE(limaa210 @ May 17 2022, 02:01 PM)
Hi fellow Malaysians, I've got a question about same surname marriage with both of us sharing the same surname (LIM) and with hokkien descent. Not sure about the origin region in China. I understand the rule of same sex marriage has been relaxed. So just for the sake of proving it to old school thinking parents that we are not related. What is the best DNA test to take in Malaysia. I've engaged a few well known DNA test on the internet but they don't service Malaysia. So, I am wondering if anyone here has similar experience and which company/test they use that could recommend to us.

Thank you very much. biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif
I known someone both husband and wife have same surname. no issue also. unlikely will be related..if distant also not like it will affect.
Azzqech
post May 23 2022, 03:40 PM

On my way
520 posts

QUOTE(kamfoo @ May 23 2022, 03:05 PM)
even if blood relation love is not wrong.
Yes but the union of two related individuals can result in genetically compromised offspring. This is the reason why blood relations should not marry.

mochicake
post May 23 2022, 06:01 PM

Getting Started
258 posts

myheritage allow from this country, if you buy 2 kits it is free shipping and about $50 each during sales. they go on sale real often.

once it is processed and you get the raw data file - take a few weeks, you upload it to gedmatch and they have a tool called "are my parents related" and they will compare your parents dna. so if they are related even a little bit (far far far back) it will show. My parents from diff area so not related at all haha so dunno accuracy

https://www.familyhistoryfanatics.com/are-y...%20homozygosity.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0134sec    0.31    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:26 PM