Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

best wok for high heat, 3 ply or 5 ply or others

views

TSBboyDora
post May 16 2022, 04:09 PM, updated 2y ago

Look at all my stars!!
2,094 posts

Hi there, i spoil my non stick wok because of high heat.

i wanted to know which wok is the best for high heat. Wok hei is one thing, i just like cooking and stir fry with high heat.

Now , i came across stainless steel or carbon steel are the best, then now got 3 ply and 5 ply. confused.gif confused.gif Of course more ply is thicker but wanted to know is it necessary?

so need advice here. Those high heat at home, not really that high like chinese restaurant burner.
JK-Rai
post May 16 2022, 04:27 PM

37 posts

The thicker ply it is the better heat retention the wok has.
I am using below and my stove is super high heat.

For stainless steel you need as much ply as possible cause stainless steel conduct heat slower than steel/iron. So the more ply it has the more heat transfer can happen and even out the temperature drop when you drop in cold ingredient.

But if you want carbon steel, are you prepared to deal with a carbon steel seasoning process? If yes, go for carbon steel/cast iron wok.

My stove:
https://www.rinnai.com.my/product/commercia...ooker/rtl-35ks/
My wok:
https://www.lagourmet.com.my/cookware-nitrigan/

Besides that I have:
Buffalo Stainless Steel Wok - used for 15 years still kicking
Lodge Carbon Steel Frying Pan - for pan fry steak/chicken chops
nihility
post May 17 2022, 04:02 PM

Regular
1,252 posts

My non stick woks also got spoiled after high heat. 1 year don't know change how many times already.

Getting feed up, now for high heat cooking, I just use aluminum wok.
TSBboyDora
post May 17 2022, 11:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,094 posts

QUOTE(JK-Rai @ May 16 2022, 04:27 PM)
The thicker ply it is the better heat retention the wok has.
I am using below and my stove is super high heat.

For stainless steel you need as much ply as possible cause stainless steel conduct heat slower than steel/iron. So the more ply it has the more heat transfer can happen and even out the temperature drop when you drop in cold ingredient.

But if you want carbon steel, are you prepared to deal with a carbon steel seasoning process? If yes, go for carbon steel/cast iron wok.

My stove:
https://www.rinnai.com.my/product/commercia...ooker/rtl-35ks/
My wok:

Besides that I have:
Thank you very much for your guidance!!

Stainless steel need seasoning right if i not mistaken
TSBboyDora
post May 17 2022, 11:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,094 posts

QUOTE(nihility @ May 17 2022, 04:02 PM)
My non stick woks also got spoiled after high heat. 1 year don't know change how many times already.

Getting feed up, now for high heat cooking, I just use aluminum wok.
I see. Aluminium wok ok to use?

TSBboyDora
post May 17 2022, 11:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,094 posts

QUOTE(JK-Rai @ May 16 2022, 04:27 PM)

My wok:

Besides that I have:
One more qeustion, La gourmet Nitrigan cast iron cannot use dishwasher soap to wash?
JK-Rai
post May 20 2022, 10:56 AM

37 posts

Stainless steel is harder to season and the main point of seasoning is to prevent it from rust anyway.
So not really useful in stainless steel.

Any cast iron with seasoning on the internet will have split opinion on using soap.
For me i use 1 drop of soap. Literary 1 drop.
After washing you will have thin film of oil from the previous cooking because no soap or less soap was used.
Then i burn the wok on high to dry it and harden the seasoning using the residual oil from washing.

This post has been edited by JK-Rai: May 20 2022, 11:03 AM
nihility
post May 20 2022, 11:49 AM

Regular
1,252 posts

QUOTE(BboyDora @ May 17 2022, 11:50 PM)
I see. Aluminium wok ok to use?
So far ok. Haven't damage the wok yet. It is way lighter than carbon steel.
Al3x0174
post May 24 2022, 11:31 AM

Getting Started
227 posts

Carbon steel wok/pan works best for me. I have tried all sorts of non stick pans. Wasted hundreds of ringgits. Non stick pans are only good for low-medium low heat cooking.

Problem with carbon steel cookware is that most people don’t know how to season the wok, cleaning it and maintaining it. Not to mention heavy too.

However once you started using it, it’s not that hard to maintain. I’m currently using a large pan (32cm) to stir fry. I would recommend 24-28cm pan for regular use and 30-34cm for wok.

To season the cookware

1) Wash with soap, front and back
2) high heat burning the pan until discolouration
3) burn the cookware to very high heat and coat with oil. I use a tong and paper towel to quickly spread the oil around
4) once the cookware is cooled down, use a light and gentle force on soft sponge with a little soap to clean the surface
5) reheat the wok, add oil, salt and potato skins and stir fry until slightly burned.
Repeat step 4 and you’re done

So far I don’t have problem pan frying an egg and stir fry seems to be good and have wok hey. So far it only fails on frying very thin omelette egg or maybe I need to put more oil.

One thing I notice is that the food don’t absorb as much oil as in regular pan. Same amount of oil use I can notice residual oil in carbon steel pan but on non stick it’s usually absorb by the food.

This post has been edited by Al3x0174: May 24 2022, 11:34 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
TSBboyDora
post May 26 2022, 10:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,094 posts

Thank you so much guys for the reply and comment. I had decided to buy stainless steel as my wife do the cooking sometimes. She really dunno how to use those wok. so i bought one non stick is for her and stainless steel for my self. As i worry i will spoil it without taking good care at it.

icemanfx
post Jun 5 2022, 07:42 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
20,795 posts

For high heat, heavy cast iron wok is the only solution.
jibpek
post Jun 5 2022, 07:44 PM

On my way
645 posts

Non stick wok cannot withstand high heat.
Al3x0174
post Jun 7 2022, 09:27 AM

Getting Started
227 posts

QUOTE(icemanfx @ Jun 5 2022, 07:42 PM)
For high heat, heavy cast iron wok is the only solution.
Carbon steel too. Cast iron is too heavy. I think suitable for frying stuff.

QUOTE(jibpek @ Jun 5 2022, 07:44 PM)
Non stick wok cannot withstand high heat.
No wok hey. Only good for making omelette
jaycee1
post Jun 7 2022, 09:33 AM

AFK
2,435 posts

Just get a carbon steel wok. Thicker is better but it will be also much heavier.

Seasoning is not hard. Just dont use soap to scrub it after cooking. Just soak in water and wash lightly. then put back on stove until it smokes the residual oil. Let cool. Seasoning will develop after a few uses.
Chiggah
post Jun 9 2022, 02:01 AM

Casual
460 posts

Which brand do you guys recommend for carbon steel wok?
thriffycheen P
post Jun 15 2022, 10:47 AM

Probation
0 posts

The material/type of wok (or any cooking vessel) you choose depends on what you want to cook. You can also get different types of woks and pans that suit your cooking needs.

Personally, I'm using a handled carbon steel wok that you'd often see in chu char (Chinese stir-fry) stalls. Some warungs also use it, though aluminum still seems to be the preferred choice among Malays and Indians. Carbon steel is the best type of wok for stir-frying, most Chinese chefs will vouch for it. And it's also the cheapest among all woks. Got mine for RM 15 from Shopee (around 33 inches, Rhino brand), I've seen them in Econsave for around RM 30. If you're in Klang Valley, NSK stocks them as well (heard they're very cheap too). Surprisingly, many major supermarkets and even pasar pagi/malam vendors don't sell them nowadays (in my urban area, at least). Before anyone scoffs at the seemingly ridiculously low price tag, here are the pros and cons:

CARBON STEEL

Pros:
- This is THE wok for stir-frying. Compared to other types of woks I've used (non-stick, aluminum, stainless steel, enamel), this churns out the most wok hay.
- It's cheap and durable; you can even pass it down to future generations, like how those mat sallehs treat their cast irons as family heirlooms. Check out those decades-old char kway teow stalls for living proof.
- Confirm can tahan high heat. In fact, it thrives in high heat.
- Also perfect for frying fish (a nightmare for many home cooks), especially after it's developed the non-stick patina layer. You will still need oil, but it's significantly much easier to flip your food.
- The more frequent you use your carbon steel wok, the better it gets (with proper maintenance, of course).
- If your wok is thin, it conducts heat very fast, so it can easily reach high temperatures (i.e. smoke point) in less than a minute or two. It also cools down quickly, can be washed soon after you remove the food from the wok. This also comes with a major downside though, refer to the cons section.
- Compared to cast iron and multiple-ply stainless steel, it's quite light, so it's easier to lift and maneuver (and perform wok flips, if that's your thing).

Cons:
- If you have a thin wok like mine, it doesn't retain heat very well. Not so ideal for searing thick chunks of meat. Also, more prone to uneven heating.
- Reactive to acids. If your wok is well-seasoned, it can still handle weak acids for a short period of time. Tomato sauce is fine, but definitely not asam curry, vinegar pig trotters and the like. For such foods, I like to use an old-fashioned clay pot tongue.gif
- Needs to be seasoned and maintained, or else it will rust sad.gif It's actually a simple process (google it), but can be a hassle for some. TIP: remember to oil your entire wok, including the bottom and the handle, if you're not using it for a prolonged period of time.
- Your food will definitely stick in your first few attempts, even when the wok is seasoned. I remember the first dish I made with my carbon steel wok was deep fried lekor. Heck, the lekor stuck to the wok even when it's drenched in a pool of hot, bubbling oil. The point is, seasoning has to be done repeatedly before the wok becomes truly non-stick. So, if you don't have the time and effort to condition your wok, then carbon steel isn't the right material for you. TIP: Before the patina develops, you can still use it to cook other non-protein and non-starchy foods like veggies, or even make shallot/garlic oil, which is a great way to feed your hungry new wok.

Anyway, my wok is cheap not because of the quality (been using it frequently for 3 years, it's virtually non-stick now, and gets better with every use), but because it's thin and comes unseasoned. You can also get the pre-seasoned ones for around RM 80, I've even seen certain brands selling them for hundreds of ringgit (literally the same price as zebra stainless steel). They usually have a thicker build too, but keep in mind that it's also heavier. For induction users, remember to get a flat-bottomed wok.

My experience with other woks:

STAINLESS STEEL
- This is actually the most versatile of all, it can handle all kinds of foods and cooking methods. If you have room for only one cooking vessel, this is it.
- It doesn't need seasoning or maintenance, and it's very sturdy.
- Moderate heat conductivity. Stainless steel itself is a poor heat conductor, so there's usually an aluminum layer or two sandwiched between the stainless steel layers.
- The thicker woks can retain heat quite well, good enough for searing.
- Still got wok hay, but cannot compare to the good ol' carbon steel.
- It will never be non-stick, so you'll have to rely on heat control, good technique and plenty of oil to ensure that your protein comes out in one piece.
- The higher quality ones can be reeaalllyy pricey, especially if it's branded.

NON-STICK
- As mentioned by others, only good for frying eggs lah. Maybe crepes too. Or boiling water. Basically low heat cooking.
- Still gotta give credit where credit's due: cooking requires minimal oil, and it's easier to flip sticky foods, so it's still a handy tool for beginner cooks or anyone particular about oil intake.
- High heat will destroy the non-stick layer, so no wok hay.
- No matter how delicately you treat it, or how expensive it is, it's still going to expire someday.
- Scratched teflons are known to release harmful substances.
- Those so-called ceramic non-stick, marble, maifan stone etc are actually still coated with chemicals/teflon. My ex-housemate had a marble one, sama je as teflon, but heavier.
- I've never used those hexagon/beehive coating pans myself; there are both good and bad reviews about it on the Internet. Even Gordon Ramsay is endorsing it lol.

ALUMINUM
- Conducts and releases heat very, very, very fast. Burned my food several times when I first used it, so while it can survive under high heat, do exercise with caution.
- Got wok hay, but somehow lacks depth compared to carbon steel.
- Will never be non-stick. But your proteins should crisp up quickly and nicely, if you control your heat and timing well.
- One of the cheapest woks that require no special maintenance.
- Probably the lightest type of wok in the market.
- Aluminum is said to leach toxins into food, but there are also some studies that disprove that.

ENAMEL STEEL
- Note: This is different from enamel cast iron (think La Creuset). Never used it before, so not going to talk about it.
- Moderate heat conductivity and retention.
- Apparently, the enamel is supposed to be non-stick, but my ikan goreng still sticks all the time...
- Don't let the metallic sheen fool you, it's supposed to be used with wooden/silicone utensils to protect the enamel layer.
- Slightly more expensive than aluminum, but it's still a budget wok that's easy to use and keep.
- Low quality enamel is notorious for containing heavy metals.

CLAY
- Personally, I've only used a clay pot. But there are clay pans that resemble woks too.
- Conducts heat very slowly (took around 3-5 mins to heat up the oil to saute garlic)
- Excellent heat retention. My curry still simmers for another 5 mins with the lid on AFTER I turned the heat off.
- Can be used as a nice serving pot. No need to transfer food to another plate.
- Able to withstand thermal shock. Won't warp or crack easily when you submerge a hot pot in cold water, or when you subject it to sudden temperature changes. Nevertheless, try not to do that to any cookware, no matter how good the resistance is.
- Other than making curries and stews, it's great for cooking rice, especially if you like the crusty parts. Just be sure to keep an eye on the time and heat.
- The glaze is kinda non-stick. Like, the food still sticks, but still comes off relatively easily.
- Price can range from cheap to expensive, depending on the design, glaze, size, material, craftmanship etc. Mine is a 1.8 L pot glazed only on the inside, the exterior is made of porous, undecorated and unglazed clay. Costed around RM 40. The bottom can become sooty if directly exposed to flames (especially if not fully combusted), and cannot be washed off. Doesn't affect the food though.
- Biggest drawback: Fragile.
DurianSamurai
post Jul 15 2022, 08:15 AM

Getting Started
226 posts

Best wok for high heat is hand made hand beaten wok. Best flavor. I bought one from China long time ago. Not many of this sifu left. Better buy 1 before they are all gone. The wok will past for life
Chiggah
post Sep 1 2022, 06:25 PM

Casual
460 posts

Anyone used this from shopee ? https://shopee.com.my/Pre-Seasoned-Traditio...7227.7737039306

Otherwise may consider the more expensive "Craft Wok" brand

https://craftwok.com/products/craft-wok-tra...d-bottom-731w88
Al3x0174
post Sep 1 2022, 08:57 PM

Getting Started
227 posts

QUOTE(Chiggah @ Sep 1 2022, 06:25 PM)
Anyone used this from shopee ? https://shopee.com.my/Pre-Seasoned-Traditio...7227.7737039306

Otherwise may consider the more expensive "Craft Wok" brand

https://craftwok.com/products/craft-wok-tra...d-bottom-731w88
The one from Shopee is good enough. That craftwok is just normal restaurant wok with laser hippy names on it. Costs 50-100 as well. As long it’s carbon steel + seasoned then it’s good
lusciousss P
post Aug 18 2023, 04:19 AM

Probation
2 posts

Hi what do you think is better between the two carbon steel wok??

user posted image
user posted image

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0187sec    0.49    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:49 PM