Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Why cannot run New Simple Volume in Disk Managemen

views

TSplumberly
post May 10 2022, 12:59 PM, updated 2y ago

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

Using Win10, tried New Simple Volume in disk management on a usb. Nothing happens. Why? I need to run as an admin? Cannot get the run as admin option.

Thanks.
JonathanHanYT
post May 10 2022, 02:59 PM

Getting Started
114 posts

QUOTE(plumberly @ May 10 2022, 12:59 PM)
Using Win10, tried New Simple Volume in disk management on a usb. Nothing happens. Why? I need to run as an admin? Cannot get the run as admin option.

Thanks.
By default, New Simple Volume should be grey out or the option is faded. This is because usually USB pendrive or external USB HDD already pre-created with the disk volume ready. You need partition and delete volume then only you can create the new volume.

Another possibility is the USB drive was MBR disk. MBR disk limit you from create new volume.
TSplumberly
post May 10 2022, 03:37 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(JonathanHanYT @ May 10 2022, 02:59 PM)
By default, New Simple Volume should be grey out or the option is faded. This is because usually USB pendrive or external USB HDD already pre-created with the disk volume ready. You need partition and delete volume then only you can create the new volume.

Another possibility is the USB drive was MBR disk. MBR disk limit you from create new volume.
Thanks.

The New Simple Volume was not grey out but still in black. Clicking on it, nothing happens.

Having a problem in updating a MOBO via Q flash. Lots of people have similar experiences and they overcame that problem by using cmd clean, convert to MBR and diskmgt new simple volume and fat32 format.

I guess not all pen drives are the same. Annoying.

netmatrix
post May 10 2022, 05:28 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

Eh..... right click USB drive format EX Fat can already.
TSplumberly
post May 10 2022, 06:49 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ May 10 2022, 05:28 PM)
Eh..... right click USB drive format EX Fat can already.
Done that. Q flash update did not auto stop, lights still on.

Maybe my wrong understanding.

1. Qflash button & pen drive stopped blinking.
2. Only the red bulb a few cm from the 28 pin cable plug and the 88 digits remained on (no blinking).

I thought both 1 & 2 should be off when the update is completed. Right?
netmatrix
post May 10 2022, 06:56 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

Maybe your flash drive got problem? How about using USB 2.0 port instead of USB 3.0.
TSplumberly
post May 10 2022, 07:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ May 10 2022, 06:56 PM)
Maybe your flash drive got problem? How about using USB 2.0 port instead of USB 3.0.
My apology, just realised that I did not state what I am doing. Tried to do Qflash BIOS update in my Gigabyte B550 Vision MB. Saw a few videos on this and it should be straight forward.

But, the lights did not go off when it finished with the updating.

One web site stated using cmd to clean and convert to mbr and later via dskmgt to format as fat32 on the pendrive.

I cannot do the new simple volume part as the os does not respond to my request. Thus asking here on the n s v.

This mobo is driving me crazy!

A brick mobo is when one cannot even start it up, right? Mine still has lights when I do the qflash. Hope it is still ok.
ihavenoidea
post May 10 2022, 09:20 PM

Regular
1,274 posts

Maybe need smaller capacity pendrive.. like an old 4gb stick
TSplumberly
post May 10 2022, 09:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

QUOTE(ihavenoidea @ May 10 2022, 09:20 PM)
Maybe need smaller capacity pendrive.. like an old 4gb stick
Thanks. You have experienced this before?

Watched a few videos on troubleshooting this qflash problem. Smaller (<32 GB) and older USB 2 are generally recommended. Will get Sandisk 8 or 16 GB USB 2 pendrive tomorrow. Hope that will make my day!

Did not know that usb pendrive can be so problematic. Wish that MB manufacturers have stated the pendrive requirement for the Qflash, instead of users trying to troubleshoot. Very annoying and frustrating.
TSplumberly
post May 14 2022, 01:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,612 posts

Found a way around the new simple volume problem in which disk mgt does not activate and follow through.

Just continue in cmd ...

diskpart
list disk
select disk #
clean
convert mbr
create partition primary
select partition 1
format fs=fat32 quick

For beginners, please be careful in using the above as one may be wiping out the OS, data drives!

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0140sec    0.05    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:10 AM