Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Add Reply RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Buying Comic Books from US, Receive more like as US friend helps buy

whippy
post May 9 2022, 03:24 PM, updated 2y ago

26 posts

Hi all

My friend in US has been helping me buy comic books since it's very much cheaper there.
She currently have 10-12 issues bought for me right now and plans to ship them out to me soon via USPS.

However, she asked me if there's any limitation to number of comic books she could send?
This is because a Vietnamese mutual friend of ours said that over in Vietnam, they have a limitation of only 10 books allowed at one time and that they need to get a special approval from one of their government agencies.

Does anyone know if similar procedure is required here? I know that the comics themselves are not taxable (per my understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong) but do I require any special approval? I can't seem to find any info on this in both MOHA and Kastam. Anyone has any experience receiving comic books from US?

(Comic books I'm talking about are those single-issue Marvel/DC comics so they're rather thin-ish. And I won't say "buy" because all bills were under my friend's name and she very much would declare these comics as gift to me anyway)

This post has been edited by whippy: May 9 2022, 03:26 PM
anakkk
post May 9 2022, 03:48 PM

Regular
1,565 posts

vietname is commies, like china, I believe they have those limitation to block western propaganda on democracy.
whippy
post May 12 2022, 09:15 AM

26 posts

This has been resolved somewhat coz after so many attempts, I managed to get through to the relevant dept in KDN. Sharing this here in case anyone wants reference in the future or something because some comic books are really hard to find here lol

You can email you list of comics to pro(at)moha(dot)gov(dot)my and ask them if it's okay to bring them into Malaysia. They are quite fast with the replies.
No limits to the number of comics you can bring in but if they're not marked as gift and declared at full price, they might get detained for tax purposes anyway? (not sure on this, heard books are not taxable but yeah)

Tbh the above step is not necessary but a friend said her package of comic books got detained once and customs asked for KDN clearance. So it's best to just have the clearance upfront.

This post has been edited by whippy: May 12 2022, 09:18 AM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0118sec    0.60    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:17 PM