Guitar Lesson and Piano recommendarion, 2 question in one topic

views

TS*lightbringer*
post May 5 2022, 12:45 PM, updated 2y ago

Getting Started
151 posts

Hi guys, I would like to seek for your opinion on these 2 matters:

1. Guitar lesson

I had been playing guitar since 16 years old, self-taught. I know all the basic chords, and I can say i can play it comfortably. I was in a band when I was in high school as bassist, and my band had been performing for various Battle of the Band. I don't know how to read scores, but I do know how to read tabs. However, I stopped playing guitar in 2013 due to family commitment, and this year, I had the chance to play it again. However, this time, i thought of want to do it in a correct way, starting with hand position, chords progression and scales. A quick search on Lowyat forum suggested me to subscribe to Justin Guitar. The question is, is online courses merely enough to cover it, or should i attend physical classes as well?

2. Piano Suggestion

I'm sending my kids to piano lesson, and I would like to purchase a piano for them to practice at home. I understand that for beginner, a 60+ key piano is sufficient for them to learn. However, I really wanted them to learn it in a long run, hence personally I think it would be more beneficial to purchase a full (88) key piano. I had few model in mind, such as Yamaha P125, Yamaha P45, Roland FP10 or Casio S110. SO which of these brand and model would u suggest? or any other models? Budget around RM2.5k. Also, would it be advisable if i purchase a second hand digital piano?

Thanks in advance.
empire
post May 8 2022, 11:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,502 posts

QUOTE(*lightbringer* @ May 5 2022, 12:45 PM)

1. Guitar lesson

I had been playing guitar since 16 years old, self-taught. I know all the basic chords, and I can say i can play it comfortably. I was in a band when I was in high school as bassist, and my band had been performing for various Battle of the Band. I don't know how to read scores, but I do know how to read tabs. However, I stopped playing guitar in 2013 due to family commitment, and this year, I had the chance to play it again. However, this time, i thought of want to do it in a correct way, starting with hand position, chords progression and scales. A quick search on Lowyat forum suggested me to subscribe to Justin Guitar. The question is, is online courses merely enough to cover it, or should i attend  physical classes as well?

2. Piano Suggestion

I'm sending my kids to piano lesson, and I would like to purchase a piano for them to practice at home. I understand that for beginner, a 60+ key piano is sufficient for them to learn. However, I really wanted them to learn it in a long run, hence personally I think it would be more beneficial to purchase a full (88) key piano. I had few model in mind, such as Yamaha P125, Yamaha P45, Roland FP10 or Casio S110. SO which of these brand and model would u suggest? or any other models? Budget around RM2.5k. Also, would it be advisable if i purchase a second hand digital piano?

Thanks in advance.
This forum is the most useless in Malaysia to ask about Musical instruments.
TS*lightbringer*
post May 9 2022, 01:56 PM

Getting Started
151 posts

QUOTE(empire @ May 8 2022, 11:12 PM)
This forum is the most useless in Malaysia to ask about Musical instruments.
Maybe so. Maybe musician in Malaysia have other forum for themselves.

Anyhow just an update, I already purchase Kawai ES100. Seems ok so far.
raminguitar
post May 19 2022, 02:45 AM

9 posts

The question is, is online courses merely enough to cover it, or should i attend  physical classes as well?
Would it hurt to try both approaches and then you decide what works best for you?

Classes IRL allows the teacher/instructor to clearly observe any bad habits, poor technique which you may have picked up due to lack of guidance (and that you may be inadvertently repeating), and then correct these inconsistencies to improve your playing. Bad habits could potentially slow down your advancement, and yet some people are "natural" with an instrument, whereas others fumble, and get frustrated, and then give up.

So whatever works for you - it just boils down to personal preference: some people will respond better with social interaction in the physical world, whereas others can function well by being "self-taught" through observation, and/or they prefer online learning, virtual classes via video calls.

allisonzk P
post May 20 2022, 09:56 PM

Probation
35 posts

2. Piano Suggestion

Thanks in advance.
Regarding to the piano I will say talk to their instructor first. He/she will be able to see your kids proficiency and recommend what is best for them according to their ages and skills.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0136sec    0.27    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:03 PM