Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Old condo in Penang

views

TSwolftheyorkie
post Apr 18 2022, 05:19 PM, updated 2y ago

Getting Started
107 posts

Hi All

I’m looking for a holiday home in Penang with access to the beach. When I’m not around I want to rent it for air bnb. However, I do want to ensure it’s not a money pit. I’ve listed the following options as the prices are quite attractive.

PS: I’m not considering buying a new condo due to the significant price difference

I’m looking at the following options. Anything else I should be looking at? Anything to stay away from?
1) Mar Vista
2) Eden Seaview
3) Eden Fairway
4) Feringhi Delima
5) Sri Sayang Service Apartment
6) The Reef
mini orchard
post Apr 18 2022, 06:56 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,913 posts

QUOTE(wolftheyorkie @ Apr 18 2022, 05:19 PM)
Hi All

I’m looking for a holiday home in Penang with access to the beach. When I’m not around I want to rent it for air bnb. However, I do want to ensure it’s not a money pit. I’ve listed the following options as the prices are quite attractive.
PS: I’m not considering buying a new condo due to the significant price difference

I’m looking at the following options. Anything else I should be looking at? Anything to stay away from?
1) Mar Vista
2) Eden Seaview
3) Eden Fairway
4) Feringhi Delima
6) The Reef
Do the MC or JMB allow airbnb ? Those allowed now doesnt mean are forever. House rules can be changed if there are many complains.
Battlescar P
post Apr 18 2022, 07:09 PM

Probation
5 posts

QUOTE(wolftheyorkie @ Apr 18 2022, 05:19 PM)
Hi All

1) Mar Vista
2) Eden Seaview
3) Eden Fairway
4) Feringhi Delima
6) The Reef
I guess u are aware that some of these condos are pretty dated. As for the unit layout, it was made based on the trend of those period. 2, 3 & 4 were the newer ones and is in the heart of batu ferringhi and a short walk to the beach. #2 used to be pretty popular with Japanese expat for long term leased due to its larger unit size.

Sri Sayang used to be a service apt in its heydays and a popular go to rental place for larger groups (just opposite Rasa Sayang and there is a path beside the hotel leading to the beach). The Reef is quite a distance walk to miami beach and not that near to batu ferringhi for those without transportation. Mar Vista, used to be a resort but alot has change since then. It is one of those nearer to the likes of Tanjung Tokong and Gurney Drive.

Like what u mention, the price is pretty attractive and did not see a significant jump in subsale price. I was staying at #4 from 2000 to 2006 and have lost touch if that area is still a hotbed for Airbnb. You may want to do a search in the market at that area and if it commands a worthy price.
TSwolftheyorkie
post Apr 18 2022, 11:00 PM

Getting Started
107 posts

QUOTE(Battlescar @ Apr 18 2022, 07:09 PM)
I guess u are aware that some of these condos are pretty dated. As for the unit layout, it was made based on the trend of those period. 2, 3 & 4 were the newer ones and is in the heart of batu ferringhi and a short walk to the beach. #2 used to be pretty popular with Japanese expat for long term leased due to its larger unit size.

Sri Sayang used to be a service apt in its heydays and a popular go to rental place for larger groups (just opposite Rasa Sayang and there is a path beside the hotel leading to the beach). The Reef is quite a distance walk to miami beach and not that near to batu ferringhi for those without transportation. Mar Vista, used to be a resort but alot has change since then. It is one of those nearer to the likes of Tanjung Tokong and Gurney Drive.

Like what u mention, the price is pretty attractive and did not see a significant jump in subsale price. I was staying at #4 from 2000 to 2006 and have lost touch if that area is still a hotbed for Airbnb. You may want to do a search in the market at that area and if it commands a worthy price.
Thanks so much! Do you have any other recommended condos I should check out?

Battlescar P
post Apr 20 2022, 02:01 AM

Probation
5 posts

QUOTE(wolftheyorkie @ Apr 18 2022, 11:00 PM)
Thanks so much! Do you have any other recommended condos I should check out?
For me, I prefer easy access to amenities so places like Tanjung Bungah (Harmony Residences, Leisure Cove, Tanjung Beach), Tanjung Tokong (Springtide Residences, The Landmark), Straits Quay (Tamarind, i-Santorini). All these have access to the beach. I-Santorini may be good for rental since its closer to places of employment. The Landmark is pretty popular with Airbnb.

Not knowing your budget, I am just naming the projects to give u an idea of the location to look at and the surrounding projects within your budget. If u notice, my selection are generally places with easy access to mall, hospital, Georgetown etc.

If u still insist on Batu Ferringhi, Eden Seaview will be a better option due to the larger size 800++ sqft (target audience: expat or maybe teacher from Uplands) compare to Delima and Fairway 6-700++sqft. Hope these info helps
TSwolftheyorkie
post Apr 20 2022, 04:07 PM

Getting Started
107 posts

QUOTE(Battlescar @ Apr 20 2022, 02:01 AM)
For me, I prefer easy access to amenities so places like Tanjung Bungah (Harmony Residences, Leisure Cove, Tanjung Beach), Tanjung Tokong (Springtide Residences, The Landmark), Straits Quay (Tamarind, i-Santorini). All these have access to the beach. I-Santorini may be good for rental since its closer to places of employment. The Landmark is pretty popular with Airbnb.

Not knowing your budget, I am just naming the projects to give u an idea of the location to look at and the surrounding projects within your budget. If u notice, my selection are generally places with easy access to mall, hospital, Georgetown etc.

If u still insist on Batu Ferringhi, Eden Seaview will be a better option due to the larger size 800++ sqft (target audience: expat or maybe teacher from Uplands) compare to Delima and Fairway 6-700++sqft. Hope these info helps
Thanks so much!

Dunamiz
post Nov 14 2022, 01:02 AM

34 posts

QUOTE(wolftheyorkie @ Apr 20 2022, 04:07 PM)
Thanks so much!
Hi wolftheyorkie ...

Have you bought your condo yet? I'm from KL and also looking for a holiday home in Batu Feringghi area .. to be rented out for the time being until I finally call it a day ...

I just viewed Eden Seaview and Mar Vista over the weekend but can't decide which one ...

Mar Vista is older, limited facilities (only 1 pool is working) and need a lot of work before it can be rented out for a decent price but location-wise, its nearer to the beach and Georgetown

Whereas Eden is newer with better facilities but not farther from the beach and town ..

adamtayy
post Nov 14 2022, 08:13 PM

Regular
1,121 posts

QUOTE(Dunamiz @ Nov 14 2022, 01:02 AM)
Hi wolftheyorkie ...

Have you bought your condo yet? I'm from KL and also looking for a holiday home in Batu Feringghi area .. to be rented out for the time being until I finally call it a day ...

I just viewed Eden Seaview and Mar Vista over the weekend but can't decide which one ...

Mar Vista is older, limited facilities (only 1 pool is working) and need a lot of work before it can be rented out for a decent price but location-wise, its nearer to the beach and Georgetown

Whereas Eden is newer with better facilities but not farther from the beach and town ..
Attached Image Attached Image
Have a look..

Iconic vue, 850sqft
Rm400k++

This post has been edited by adamtayy: Nov 14 2022, 08:19 PM
adamtayy
post Nov 25 2022, 07:53 PM

Regular
1,121 posts

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
This is the better choice, shortlisted..
TSwolftheyorkie
post Dec 2 2022, 01:11 PM

Getting Started
107 posts

Hi there

I decided to go with Mar Vista. But I think both development are ok

In terms of condition , Eden seaview has just been repainted so it looks better. Mar Vista has not been painted. However, once the painting and refurbishment works are completed, I believe Mar Vista would be the better option because of location. The repainting should be done in the not too distant future, but I can’t confirm when. Furthermore, Mar Vista also are now in the possession of the original clubhouse( previously this was kept by the developer and the owners of Mar vista finally won the court case ) Once this is refurbished , I think it would be very good for the estate

Mar Vista’s location is much better, just above the beach and basically within Tanjong Bungah although the address is still Batu feringhi.

In terms of each unit, it really depends. Most units for sale either at Mar Vista or Eden seaview have not been renovated. So I decided to get a unit with really bad condition and at a good price and renovate the whole unit.

Mar Vista is quite well lived in, I see some European and Japanese expats , very low density, very peaceful and quite.

Feel free to Pam me if you need help

QUOTE(Dunamiz @ Nov 14 2022, 01:02 AM)
Hi wolftheyorkie ...

This post has been edited by wolftheyorkie: Dec 2 2022, 01:13 PM
adamtayy
post Dec 3 2022, 02:56 PM

Regular
1,121 posts

Mar vista a good location as well
Walking distance to the beach / sea side

Tsunami village seafood restaurant

Malay nasi campur

Canoe renting service

The floating mosque

Etc..
Thasmita
post Dec 3 2022, 05:29 PM

On my way
665 posts

QUOTE(wolftheyorkie @ Dec 2 2022, 01:11 PM)
Hi there

I decided to go with Mar Vista. But I think both development are ok

In terms of condition , Eden seaview has just been repainted so it looks better. Mar Vista has not been painted. However, once the painting and refurbishment works are completed, I believe Mar Vista would be the better option because of location. The repainting should be done in the not too distant future, but I can’t confirm when.  Furthermore, Mar Vista also are now in the possession of the original clubhouse( previously this was kept by the developer and the owners of Mar vista finally won the court case ) Once this is refurbished , I think it would be very good for the estate

Mar Vista’s location is much better, just above  the beach and basically within Tanjong Bungah although the address is still Batu feringhi.

In terms of each unit, it really depends. Most units for sale either at Mar Vista or Eden seaview have not been renovated. So I decided to get a unit with really bad condition and at a good price and renovate the whole unit.

Mar Vista is quite well lived in, I see some European and Japanese expats , very low density, very peaceful and quite.

Feel free to Pam me if you need help
Thanks for the very detailed explanation.

If you don’t mind roughly what’s the price range in both places.
Eden vs Mar Vista
Thanks
TSwolftheyorkie
post Dec 3 2022, 07:46 PM

Getting Started
107 posts

Roughly from 330 to 650k for most units depending on condition and size

QUOTE(Thasmita @ Dec 3 2022, 05:29 PM)
Thanks for the very detailed explanation.

If you don’t mind roughly what’s the price range in both places.
Eden vs Mar Vista
Thanks
Thasmita
post Dec 4 2022, 10:20 AM

On my way
665 posts

QUOTE(wolftheyorkie @ Dec 3 2022, 07:46 PM)
Roughly from 330 to 650k for most units depending on condition and size
Thanks so much.

Very valuable information

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0303sec    0.25    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:12 AM