Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[OLD GEAR] Donation to School Photography Club, Highly appreciate any advice too

views

TSDark_Angel85
post Mar 25 2022, 08:17 AM, updated 2y ago

Government Agent
950 posts

Hello all,

I've been talking to a teacher in a rural school in Sabah, and he would love to establish a photography club... but as anyone could probably guess, gear is a problem. Most of the time, the teacher sticks to his own handphone(s) and distributes it among the kids to use when practicing photography. I think this is a really good initiative and he is truly hampered down by not having ANY gear at all and this of course denies students hands on experience. However, just my opinion... that only gets you so far and it would be really nice if there is at least a few cameras (even compacts) for the kids to try out and go around taking photos/events with them. Even the teacher himself doesn't have a camera! I am willing to spare the school maybe 1 compact camera and 1 old Nikon d80 as a loaner to get things started, but I think later on... they will need at least their own 'club's gear' so that it is more sustainable.

So... my thoughts are:

1. If anyone has any old/beaten out gear but still works with little problems, if you feel that selling the gear could be a problem, please consider donating to a school in a rural area in Sabah so that the kids here can have a chance to try and use cameras to instill love for photography. Any gear at this point is a big upgrade cause most of the kids have 0 camera gear, and not everyone has smart phones. I'm willing to communicate with you personally if you are indeed kind enough to spare your gear (or even maybe just to talk and advice) for a good cause and I will of course keep you updated on the use and utility of your sponsored gear. Just PM me and we can work things out from there.

2. I also appreciate if anyone knows any other resource to maybe get gear (realllllly old gear that might seem worn out and beaten out is no problem) or has done something similar when trying to establish such photography clubs in schools/NGOs to at least get 'a few' cameras/lights that might get the kids started. I'm just thinking on top of my head... maybe 2-3 cameras with kit lenses, maybe 1-2 flashes should be enough to get the kids trying things out and who knows what happens next right?

Thanks everyone and appreciate your advice/comments if any.
darksideofthemoon
post May 13 2022, 10:46 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(Dark_Angel85 @ Mar 25 2022, 08:17 AM)
Hello all,

I've been talking to a teacher in a rural school in Sabah, and he would love to establish a photography club... but as anyone could probably guess, gear is a problem. Most of the time, the teacher sticks to his own handphone(s) and distributes it among the kids to use when practicing photography. I think this is a really good initiative and he is truly hampered down by not having ANY gear at all and this of course denies students hands on experience. However, just my opinion... that only gets you so far and it would be really nice if there is at least a few cameras (even compacts) for the kids to try out and go around taking photos/events with them. Even the teacher himself doesn't have a camera! I am willing to spare the school maybe 1 compact camera and 1 old Nikon d80 as a loaner to get things started, but I think later on... they will need at least their own 'club's gear' so that it is more sustainable.

So... my thoughts are:

1. If anyone has any old/beaten out gear but still works with little problems, if you feel that selling the gear could be a problem, please consider donating to a school in a rural area in Sabah so that the kids here can have a chance to try and use cameras to instill love for photography. Any gear at this point is a big upgrade cause most of the kids have 0 camera gear, and not everyone has smart phones. I'm willing to communicate with you personally if you are indeed kind enough to spare your gear (or even maybe just to talk and advice) for a good cause and I will of course keep you updated on the use and utility of your sponsored gear. Just PM me and we can work things out from there.

2. I also appreciate if anyone knows any other resource to maybe get gear (realllllly old gear that might seem worn out and beaten out is no problem) or has done something similar when trying to establish such photography clubs in schools/NGOs to at least get 'a few' cameras/lights that might get the kids started. I'm just thinking on top of my head... maybe 2-3 cameras with kit lenses, maybe 1-2 flashes should be enough to get the kids trying things out and who knows what happens next right?

Thanks everyone and appreciate your advice/comments if any.
How did the sourcing go?
TSDark_Angel85
post May 14 2022, 08:21 PM

Government Agent
950 posts

QUOTE(darksideofthemoon @ May 13 2022, 10:46 PM)
How did the sourcing go?
Unfortunately, none have responded. I did try to talk to a few 'hopeful prospects' who I personally knew who have old gear but left their gear to collect dust in a corner, some even with slightly faulty gear but still not willing to donate.... not their fault anyway cause there is no pressure in donating.... and it is kind of a long shot to ask others to donate camera gear anyway... but thought I'd try putting it out there anyway.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0140sec    0.49    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:20 PM