Malaysia pricing already on Apple’s website

M1 Max model
10-core CPU
24-core GPU
16-core Neural Engine
32GB unified memory
512GB SSD storage¹
Front: Two USB-C ports, one SDXC card slot
Back: Four Thunderbolt 4 ports, two USB-A ports, one HDMI port, one 10Gb Ethernet port, one 3.5mm headphone jack
RM 8,799.00

M1 Ultra model
20-core CPU
48-core GPU
32-core Neural Engine
64GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage¹
Front: Two Thunderbolt 4 ports, one SDXC card slot
Back: Four Thunderbolt 4 ports, two USB-A ports, one HDMI port, one 10Gb Ethernet port, one 3.5mm headphone jack
RM 16,799.00
TSwestlife
post Mar 9 2022, 09:31 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,304 posts

QUOTE(un_id @ Mar 9 2022, 08:51 PM)
But it seems i’m lack of choice here 🤷🏻‍♂️ I wish they make 2 version of their top end proc, one is emphasis on just raw processing power, the other with gpu emphasis..
not really. the no of cores of cpu is matching with the gpu cores. the no of gpu cores are not the same as the no of cpu cores in terms of performance thus gpu needs more cores.

u can think of cpu core = person of doctorate can solve a complex mathemathic formula that kind of complex task, while gpu core = many students but each of them are doing much simple task.

10 cores cpu + 24 cores cpu does not means that the processing power of cpu is weaker than gpu which it is focusing on graphical related tasks only.
un_id
post Mar 9 2022, 10:00 PM

music is soul's food
7,045 posts

QUOTE(westlife @ Mar 9 2022, 09:31 PM)
not really. the no of cores of cpu is matching with the gpu cores. the no of gpu cores are not the same as the no of cpu cores in terms of performance thus gpu needs more cores.

u can think of cpu core = person of doctorate can solve a complex mathemathic formula that kind of complex task, while gpu core = many students but each of them are doing much simple task.

10 cores cpu + 24 cores cpu does not means that the processing power of cpu is weaker than gpu which it is focusing on graphical related tasks only.
What i mean is, instead of 10 cores cpu + 24 cores gpu, i would prefer the resources invested to 12 cores cpu + 16 cores gpu for example.
TSwestlife
post Mar 9 2022, 11:24 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,304 posts

QUOTE(un_id @ Mar 9 2022, 10:00 PM)
What i mean is, instead of 10 cores cpu + 24 cores gpu, i would prefer the resources invested to 12 cores cpu + 16 cores gpu for example.
there is M1 Max option that comes with more cores already. why no choice? like i said, the combination of cpu cores and gpu cores are not compared like that.

This post has been edited by westlife: Mar 9 2022, 11:24 PM
un_id
post Mar 10 2022, 06:37 AM

music is soul's food
7,045 posts

QUOTE(westlife @ Mar 9 2022, 11:24 PM)
there is M1 Max option that comes with more cores already. why no choice? like i said, the combination of cpu cores and gpu cores are not compared like that.
Yes there is 20 core cpu with a freakin 48 cores gpu, don’t need that 48 core gpu. Apple said can display 4x 8k monitor at once, dafuq 😂 only super video editor need that. But i want that 20 cores cpu.. dunno how to tell u anymore lol
engseng
post Mar 10 2022, 09:50 AM

Regular
1,961 posts

QUOTE(un_id @ Mar 10 2022, 06:37 AM)
Yes there is 20 core cpu with a freakin 48 cores gpu, don’t need that 48 core gpu. Apple said can display 4x 8k monitor at once, dafuq 😂 only super video editor need that. But i want that 20 cores cpu.. dunno how to tell u anymore lol
What application do you want to run?
Mavik
post Mar 10 2022, 09:53 AM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(engseng @ Mar 10 2022, 09:50 AM)
What application do you want to run?
Usually batch processing, machine learning and intensive calculations (CPU focused type)
un_id
post Mar 10 2022, 11:36 AM

music is soul's food
7,045 posts

QUOTE(Mavik @ Mar 10 2022, 09:53 AM)
Usually batch processing, machine learning and intensive calculations (CPU focused type)
Yep.. millions of data processing at once
TSwestlife
post Mar 10 2022, 03:56 PM

10k Club
All Stars
12,304 posts

QUOTE(un_id @ Mar 10 2022, 06:37 AM)
I dun know what u want either.

There is how many cores option u want. The no of GPU cores tied to it are totally relative. A pc cannot run without GPU too.

It is like

A no of cpu cores matches X no of gpu cores
B no of cpu cores matches Y no of gpu cores

They are relative.

Just choose the no of cores u want it totally does not matter whether u need the gpu cores or not.

It is a big house must have bigger door to match too.

The 20 cores with 64 cores is like a big car matches a big wheel so it has the overall good potential and capabilities.

This post has been edited by westlife: Mar 10 2022, 03:58 PM
Mavik
post Mar 10 2022, 04:09 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(westlife @ Mar 10 2022, 03:56 PM)

There is how many cores option u want. The no of GPU cores tied to it are totally relative. A pc cannot run without GPU too.

It is like

They are relative.

Just choose the no of cores u want it totally does not matter whether u need the gpu cores or not.

The 20 cores with 64 cores is like a big car matches a big wheel so it has the overall good potential and capabilities.
You are looking at it from a hardware offering side vs what he is looking for.
Normally in cases where he needs high compute workloads, most folks turn to the cloud to run processes there where you can select high compute workloads to handle that.
wei
post Mar 10 2022, 04:43 PM

Get your Macs done right!
6,491 posts

https://www.techspot.com/news/93708-apple-m...ad-core-i9.html Bye Intel, hello AMD, you're next ^ ^
un_id
post Mar 10 2022, 04:45 PM

music is soul's food
7,045 posts

It is like

They are relative.

I guess we are just different kind of user so this argument is kinda pointless.. some guys who uses computer as i would, will understand what i meant.. but again it seems apple tend to cater to people in creative industry rather than general power users.. well, as the name implies, mac studio lol
Mavik
post Mar 10 2022, 05:32 PM

Patience is a virtue
Group Icon
Elite
7,716 posts

QUOTE(un_id @ Mar 10 2022, 04:45 PM)
I guess we are just different kind of user so this argument is kinda pointless.. some guys who uses computer as i would, will understand what i meant.. but again it seems apple tend to cater to people in creative industry rather than general power users.. well, as the name implies, mac studio lol
Yeah, it's definitely skewed towards the creative industry as you can see with the adverts. I believe even with data science, a lot of the tools aren't suited for Apple Silicon yet and it takes a lot of workarounds to work properly.
un_id
post Mar 10 2022, 06:09 PM

music is soul's food
7,045 posts

QUOTE(Mavik @ Mar 10 2022, 05:32 PM)
Yeah, it's definitely skewed towards the creative industry as you can see with the adverts. I believe even with data science, a lot of the tools aren't suited for Apple Silicon yet and it takes a lot of workarounds to work properly.
Yeah

Apple produces good product, but they tend to make us pay more to achieve our needs. For example some processes that i run makes my macbook screams, definitely more powerful processor and more ram are desired. The amount of gpu used in the process? Negligible.

The guy keep on saying the number of gpu matches the cpu, which is clearly not, it is just what apple decided to give. The M1 ultra can run multiple 8k display, but to me one 4k display is already too good, but hell yeah i want that 20 core cpu
kokhoong0624
post Mar 11 2022, 12:53 AM

Casual
404 posts

It is like

They are relative.

You can pair an intel 12th gen i9 with a GTX1060 which is a low end graphic card and it would still run perfectly for processor intensive tasks. My friend have a set up just like this. Not all i9s have to pair with a RTX3090. It doesn’t have to be proportional LOL
Your car analogy doesnt make sense at all LOL
Apple does this because its targeted to the creative industry and the chips are just scaled 2x for the M1 Ultra
Otherwise in previous Mac they allow you to choose a low end processor with a higher end GPU also

TSwestlife
post Mar 11 2022, 04:25 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,304 posts

QUOTE(kokhoong0624 @ Mar 11 2022, 12:53 AM)
You can pair an intel 12th gen i9 with a GTX1060 which is a low end graphic card and it would still run perfectly for processor intensive tasks. My friend have a set up just like this. Not all i9s have to pair with a RTX3090. It doesn’t have to be proportional LOL
Your car analogy doesnt make sense at all LOL
Apple does this because its targeted to the creative industry and the chips are just scaled 2x for the M1 Ultra
Otherwise in previous Mac they allow you to choose a low end processor with a higher end GPU also
That’s was x386 architecture and CPU and GPU are separated and you need dedicated RAM in order for it to perform well. Previous Mac can choose between the two are due to this.

While apple M chip is SoC thats incorporate both CPU and GPU together which they can shared RAM via unified memory and again still outperform any x386 system. They scale the CPU and GPU proportionally there is nothing wrong too since it is SoC that u cannot just choose the CPU and GPU. Logistically for apple this is a easy move too.

Apple Macs since long time ago is known to be welcomed by content creator. Even they focus on this groups of users there is nothing to be surprised especially the name of the Mac Studio has already suggested the targeted groups.

Comparing to i9 chip the M Pro or Max chip is double the speed of i9 while graphics M Pro is 2.5 times faster and M1 Max is 4 times faster than any windows laptop. The price of the M chip which has much faster performance M chip MacBooks are actually cheaper Intel based MacBook. And M chip MacBook can translate software written for Intel chips.

There is no reason why one cannot easily find anything that suits himself which the deciding factor is more of the depth of one’s wallet only. Or best if other non apple products which can allow the ‘customisation’ that one needs one can easily go with that and there is no need to complain seriously.

This post has been edited by westlife: Mar 11 2022, 04:43 AM
petrofsky77
post Mar 11 2022, 07:44 AM

Temet nosce
1,562 posts

Still one more Mac and one more M1 chip to complete the transition from Intel. So like most reviewers said, this new Mac Studio is not meant to be a replacement for the trash can Mac Pro, rather a step up variant of the Mac Mini. The new Mac Pro will be coming soon, possibly with 2 M1 Ultra sandwiched together, just like how the Ultra is a 2 M1 Max chips combined in a single die. Don't know if the new Mac Pro will go back to its original root of the tower Mac Pro with boatload of expandability options, since the M1 series chip board is so tiny and everything is soldered on, RAMs and Storage wise.
kokhoong0624
post Mar 11 2022, 08:18 AM

Casual
404 posts

QUOTE(westlife @ Mar 11 2022, 04:25 AM)
That’s was x386 architecture and CPU and GPU are separated and you need dedicated RAM in order for it to perform well. Previous Mac can choose between the two are due to this.

While apple M chip is SoC thats incorporate both CPU and GPU together which they can shared RAM via unified memory and again still outperform any x386 system. They scale the CPU and GPU proportionally there is nothing wrong too since it is SoC that u cannot just choose the CPU and GPU. Logistically for apple this is a easy move too.

Apple Macs since long time ago is known to be welcomed by content creator. Even they focus on this groups of users there is nothing to be surprised especially the name of the Mac Studio has already suggested the targeted groups.

Comparing to i9 chip the M Pro or Max chip is double the speed of i9 while graphics M Pro is 2.5 times faster and M1 Max is 4 times faster than any windows laptop. The price of the M chip which has much faster performance M chip MacBooks are actually cheaper Intel based MacBook. And M chip MacBook can translate software written for Intel chips.

There is no reason why one cannot easily find anything that suits himself which the deciding factor is more of the depth of one’s wallet only. Or best if other non apple products which can allow the ‘customisation’ that one needs one can easily go with that and there is no need to complain seriously.
You should fact check before you give statistics haha. As much as I hope that the M1 Pro and M1 Max is double the speed of an intel 12th Gen i9 chip, it is not. And also your graphics performance chart is seriously delusional. m1 max has 4x faster graphical power of a RTX 3080Ti in a laptop with that thermal envelope? Nvdia will go bankrupt overnight LOL. An intel 12th Gen i9 is MUCH faster than an M1 Pro or an M1 Max on raw processing power and at a competitive power performance ratio. When apple released the M1 Pro and M1 Max, the 12th Gen i9 processors are not out yet and they’re comparing to the 9th Generation i9 from the 2019 16 inch MacBook Pro. I have a M1 Max MacBook Pro and as much as I like the whole package, I cant stop but awe at apple marketing that make you believe in these charts with a small * at the side. Hahaha

Again, Apple is providing choices based on the scaling and binning of their silicons due to economical reasons. What other commenters are saying is that Apple can actually provide a 20 core Ultra with 16 core GPU and it will work. Your “big house have to fit big door” analogy is not true. This option is simply not available due to economical reasons.

TSwestlife
post Mar 11 2022, 09:50 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,304 posts

QUOTE(kokhoong0624 @ Mar 11 2022, 08:18 AM)
You should fact check before you give statistics haha. As much as I hope that the M1 Pro and M1 Max is double the speed of an intel 12th Gen i9 chip, it is not. And also your graphics performance chart is seriously delusional. m1 max has 4x faster graphical power of a RTX 3080Ti in a laptop with that thermal envelope? Nvdia will go bankrupt overnight LOL. An intel 12th Gen i9 is MUCH faster than an M1 Pro or an M1 Max on raw processing power and at a competitive power performance ratio. When apple released the M1 Pro and M1 Max, the 12th Gen i9 processors are not out yet and they’re comparing to the 9th Generation i9 from the 2019 16 inch MacBook Pro. I have a M1 Max MacBook Pro and as much as I like the whole package, I cant stop but awe at apple marketing that make you believe in these charts with a small * at the side. Hahaha

Again, Apple is providing choices based on the scaling and binning of their silicons due to economical reasons. What other commenters are saying is that Apple can actually provide a 20 core Ultra with 16 core GPU and it will work. Your “big house have to fit big door” analogy is not true. This option is simply not available due to economical reasons.
i dun see why it matters. apple is comparing their own products for the performance increase which it totally makes sense. for one who own an intel based Macs, can tell how much more performance they can get from upgrading to M chip Mac.

those who owned a mac since early days until now will know that how much cheaper a Mac is and how much extra performance u get from M chip too.

in the end, if one has so much complaints over macs can simply go with alternate options.
TSwestlife
post Mar 11 2022, 09:50 AM

10k Club
All Stars
12,304 posts

QUOTE(kokhoong0624 @ Mar 11 2022, 08:18 AM)

i dun see why it matters. apple is comparing their own products for the performance increase which it totally makes sense. for one who own an intel based Macs, can tell how much more performance they can get from upgrading to M chip Mac.

those who owned a mac since early days until now will know that how much cheaper a Mac is and how much extra performance u get from M chip too.

in the end, if one has so much complaints over macs can simply go with alternate options.

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0147sec    0.41    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:30 PM