Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Change HDD to SSD. How much is labor market price?, For Dell XPS 15

views

TSunderscore_lee
post Feb 5 2022, 11:57 PM, updated 3y ago

Getting Started
179 posts

Hi guys, I have a 3 year old Dell XPS 15 that’s gotten really sluggish and hard to use and it takes forever to boot.

I want to change the laptop HDD to SSD. Do you guys know what’s the current market price + labour? Thinking to bring to Lowyat to get ppl to change for me cuz I scared I’ll break things if I DIY.

Any shop to recco? Or should I just go Digital Mall in PJ if the price difference not that much.

Too long never shop for PC things d so my thinking is Lowyat still cheapest haha.

Thanks in advance.
Gargamel_gibson
post Feb 6 2022, 12:45 AM

Casual
371 posts

What 3 year old XPS come with HDD? Are you sure? Anyway it's super easy to diy just find your model on YouTube and follow closely instruction. Literally just unscrew some screws and plug in and out. Tools all can buy at Mr diy.
alextan99
post Feb 6 2022, 12:51 AM

Wassup
2,645 posts

To change the drive its the easiest part but I assumed TS needs to moved all the data to the new SSD as well that take a bit of effort and time with the right software
lamode
post Feb 6 2022, 03:46 PM

anything could happen!
3,797 posts

QUOTE(underscore_lee @ Feb 5 2022, 11:57 PM)
Hi guys, I have a 3 year old Dell XPS 15 that’s gotten really sluggish and hard to use and it takes forever to boot. 

I want to change the laptop HDD to SSD. Do you guys know what’s the current market price + labour? Thinking to bring to Lowyat to get ppl to change for me cuz I scared I’ll break things if I DIY.

Any shop to recco? Or should I just go Digital Mall in PJ if the price difference not that much.

Too long never shop for PC things d so my thinking is Lowyat still cheapest haha.

Thanks in advance.
hardware price depends on brand and capacity, u just survey the same model for few shops, should be similar pricing.
labor is around RM50.

This post has been edited by lamode: Feb 6 2022, 03:46 PM
TSunderscore_lee
post Feb 6 2022, 09:26 PM

Getting Started
179 posts

QUOTE(Gargamel_gibson @ Feb 6 2022, 12:45 AM)
What 3 year old XPS come with HDD? Are you sure? Anyway it's super easy to diy just find your model on YouTube and follow closely instruction. Literally just unscrew some screws and plug in and out. Tools all can buy at Mr diy.
Ya bro I also thought it was SSD (somehow I recall it was), then I try checking it via dfrgui and realized it's Hard Disk Drive lol.

QUOTE(alextan99 @ Feb 6 2022, 12:51 AM)
To change the drive its the easiest part but I assumed TS needs to moved all the data to the new SSD as well that take a bit of effort and time with the right software
I've moved all my files + data to another external HDD. Just want to change to SSD and I'm not confident with my DIY skills haha.

QUOTE(lamode @ Feb 6 2022, 03:46 PM)
hardware price depends on brand and capacity, u just survey the same model for few shops, should be similar pricing.
labor is around RM50.
Cools so it should be SDD price + extra RM50. Got it. Thanks guys!

This post has been edited by underscore_lee: Feb 6 2022, 09:27 PM
sHawTY
post Feb 7 2022, 11:28 AM

Frequent Reporter
All Stars
14,629 posts

There are 2 types of SSD. NVMe & SATA

State the exact model number for your XPS 15
This way we can suggest the correct SSD that you should buy

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0137sec    0.54    5 queries    GZIP Disabled