Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Horrible Experience Ever Since They Cut 3G, Many Ppl Try to Call Me Always Cut Off

views

TSpetpenyubobo
post Jan 24 2022, 10:26 PM, updated 3y ago

On my way
627 posts

I'm using Lenovo K5 Pro with Snapdragon 660 VoLTE/VoWiFi cannot work.

Fallback to 2G is unreliable as this dinosaur network already slowly being neglected cities/urban areas. Calls either always get disconnected or couldn't get through.

Do telcos still bother maintaining 2G networks properly after 3G bands have been freed up? I don't think so.

All of us consumers with 4G phones no guaranteed to work universally with VoLTE/VoWifi are forced to buy new phones creating big opportunities for phone manufacturers to gain sales.

My only solution is to ask my friends/customers to call me only on Whatsapp call using forcing my phone to only 4G mode. Switch over to 2G is useless as most calls either gets blocked or cut off in the middle of calls.

Whose bright idea was it to suggest our telcos to take down 3G network instead of 2G first is a failed decision. At least UMTS voice calls were much more relaible back then instead of 2G.

Remember not everyone's 4G phone is compatible with VoLTE or VoWifi(even less support). I cannot afford iPhones or the latest ones as my work not suitable for fancy phones due to rough environments.
PRSXFENG
post Jan 24 2022, 10:33 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(petpenyubobo @ Jan 24 2022, 10:26 PM)
Whose bright idea was it to suggest our telcos to take down 3G network instead of 2G first is a failed decision. At least UMTS voice calls were much more relaible back then instead of 2G.
Not sure if this is 100% accurate but I think the reason is that the new TNB Smart Meters runs on the GPRS network, which is 2G....
LuckyBai
post Jan 24 2022, 10:36 PM

Casual
359 posts

MCMC is worse regulator by coming up to this policy!!! Real stupid
jaycee1
post Jan 24 2022, 10:59 PM

AFK
2,435 posts

Calls have been shit for past few months. Getting all sorts of dropped calls. They should have kept 3G.
TSpetpenyubobo
post Jan 25 2022, 10:38 PM

On my way
627 posts

QUOTE(PRSXFENG @ Jan 24 2022, 10:33 PM)
Not sure if this is 100% accurate but I think the reason is that the new TNB Smart Meters runs on the GPRS network, which is 2G....
Save the Smart Meters and merchant ePOS(Point of Sale) terminals at the expense of the national voice call network. I say these corrupted lots are GENIUSES who only think about their own pockets.

The outcome is a crippled and COLLAPSED voice call network for the entire country. This year's CNY is a year to remember when phone calls among relatives and friends reaches its peak. doh.gif

QUOTE(LuckyBai @ Jan 24 2022, 10:36 PM)
MCMC is worse regulator by coming up to this policy!!! Real stupid
China branded phones such as Oppo, Mi, Vivo, Lenovo and Huawei tops the market share of most Malaysian phones due to their affordability and popularity.

I read that Maxis is preparing for 5G by replacing their Huawei core network equipment to Ericsson.

These China branded phones very few of them made it into Maxis VoLTE and VoWifi compatibility list in time many will become eWaste soon even though thy support 4G networks.

I don't feel to continue paying for high tiered plans anymore. Any prepaid with cheap data will do even without unlimited calling.

Why? Data is all I need now for Whatsapp HD clear voice calls, ZOOM sessions and other messaging apps.

Not just Maxis, many other operators will start seeing their subscribers dropping all their higher tiered post-paid plans because circuit switched 2G calls will become USELESS after this.
As for those who own China 4G phones who cannot connect with VoLTE or VoWifi, people will not just go out and buy a brand new Apple 13 or a Samsung or Snapdragon compatible high end branded one in the telco's compatibility list.

Our telcos will end up learning the lesson and bleed ARPU after this thanks to jokers running the country's network directions.

It makes you think twice whether to continue paying RM98 for Maxis Postpaid, telco D, C or U after this. People will just go for the CHEAPEST one with the most data quota because that is all they need.

2G voice call switch over is a failure when your network discriminate against China branded 4G phone models which makes up the country's LARGEST market share of ownership.

QUOTE(jaycee1 @ Jan 24 2022, 10:59 PM)
Calls have been shit for past few months. Getting all sorts of dropped calls. They should have kept 3G.
Our incompetent and short sighted officials decided to listen to dumb western experts who knows little of our local market this is what will happen.

PRSXFENG
post Jan 26 2022, 01:50 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(petpenyubobo @ Jan 25 2022, 10:38 PM)

These China branded phones very few of them made it into Maxis VoLTE and VoWifi compatibility list in time many will become eWaste soon even though thy support 4G networks.
Actually I poked around on some Xiaomi phones before in their modem config files

I noticed on older phones (Mi Max 2) only profile is for YTL (Yes 4G)
On some slightly newer ones (Mi A2), got profile for U Mobile

Only on rather recent phones that get updated (such as Mi 9T), got profile for Maxis.

On some newer models you can access a hidden config tool to force a profile from a different carrier and it might work.
Otherwise you're on the default "other" profile which might not work for your carrier.
For me on U Mobile and Mi Max 2, no VoLTE.
And no modem config tool either on this sadly.
Unless you want to go system file modifying and modify modem files (at your own risk), older phones are not gonna get volte sadly.

But with that said a part of the blame is also on the Chinese oems not updating their phones.
PJng
post Jan 26 2022, 01:59 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,545 posts

On my old phone no volte device, using umobile when calling drop 3G, but no internet activity, run USSD also fall back 3G
Mean someone calling, or we call out, internet instant cut off

On my digi phone volte is working, just run USSD it drop 2G, with icon G, not E, need some time, about 5 to 10 second to go back 4G
TSpetpenyubobo
post Jan 27 2022, 10:42 PM

On my way
627 posts

QUOTE(PRSXFENG @ Jan 26 2022, 01:50 PM)
Actually I poked around on some Xiaomi phones before in their modem config files

I noticed on older phones (Mi Max 2) only profile is for YTL (Yes 4G)
On some slightly newer ones (Mi A2), got profile for U Mobile

Only on rather recent phones that get updated (such as Mi 9T), got profile for Maxis.

On some newer models you can access a hidden config tool to force a profile from a different carrier and it might work.
Otherwise you're on the default "other" profile which might not work for your carrier.
For me on U Mobile and Mi Max 2, no VoLTE.
And no modem config tool either on this sadly.
Unless you want to go system file modifying and modify modem files (at your own risk), older phones are not gonna get volte sadly.

But with that said a part of the blame is also on the Chinese oems not updating their phones.
You need to root your phone to gain access to your phone's system file to modify those changes using developer toolkits. It'll void your warranty and risk bricking it. Also all your e-wallet and financial apps will be blocked. Some apps you can hide your root access with Magisk but security is questionable.

My Chinese phone is not an OEMs it's a Lenovo aka Motorola. It uses stock Android with very little bloatware. I would say clean ROM and efficient.
PRSXFENG
post Jan 28 2022, 01:43 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(petpenyubobo @ Jan 27 2022, 10:42 PM)
You need to root your phone to gain access to your phone's system file to modify those changes using developer toolkits. It'll void your warranty and risk bricking it. Also all your e-wallet and financial apps will be blocked. Some apps you can hide your root access with Magisk but security is questionable.

My Chinese phone is not an OEMs it's a Lenovo aka Motorola. It uses stock Android with very little bloatware. I would say clean ROM and efficient.
I think I'll consider modding someday
matrix88
post Jan 28 2022, 01:49 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,099 posts

blame it on incompetent government who only wants to enrich their own cronies

how can they only award 5G license to a newly set up company who know nuts about telecommunication. and force all telco to use their service. second biggest issue - 3G was working good, why force them to switch it off when 4G and 5G is still not properly configures to use?
we are going backwards to worse than developing country's mobile network.
haturaya
post Jan 30 2022, 01:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Elite
2,469 posts

QUOTE(matrix88 @ Jan 28 2022, 01:49 PM)
blame it on incompetent government who only wants to enrich their own cronies

how can they only award 5G license to a newly set up company who know nuts about telecommunication. and force all telco to use their service. second biggest issue - 3G was working good, why force them to switch it off when 4G and 5G is still not properly configures to use?
we are going backwards to worse than developing country's mobile network.
Not much we commoners can do. Here, the connected one comes first, at the expense of commoners of course rclxub.gif sweat.gif

Any scheme that will make easy & quick money, they WILL approve in a blink. whistling.gif

Dang keep getting miss call SMS... ranting.gif
bootmod3
post Feb 22 2022, 11:20 AM

Getting Started
63 posts

Yeah. Roller coaster experience for me. Sometimes good, sometimes bad.
AhBoy~~
post Mar 23 2022, 12:12 AM

Regular
1,134 posts

I was thinking my maxis line like shit and looking out to the cheapest plan, even on 4G I cannot get whatsapp pic, only 4G+ then the internet is working,
lznce2679
post Mar 23 2022, 01:44 AM

Getting Started
220 posts

what shyt is maxis nowadays?
suddenly no service..calls cannot connect..
volte also missing.

This post has been edited by lznce2679: Mar 23 2022, 01:45 AM
TSpetpenyubobo
post Mar 27 2022, 02:43 AM

On my way
627 posts

QUOTE(lznce2679 @ Mar 23 2022, 01:44 AM)
what shyt is maxis nowadays?
suddenly no service..calls cannot connect..
volte also missing.
Depends on area actually in some less densely populated cities in Malaysia Maxis performs very well.

In highly populated and densely packed cities with lots of condominiums/apartments, Maxis can be shyt. Peak hours becomes totally unusable.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0161sec    0.68    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:29 PM