Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Buying budgeted gaming laptop

views

overfloe
post Jan 22 2022, 01:48 PM

Ain't nothing but a thang..
2,058 posts

What type of games do you play? For rm4k, you'll be looking at laptops with rtx3050. Totally fine for cpu-bound games (like csgo, valorant, pubg etc.) and comfortably play well optimized and balanced cpu&gpu games like cod warzone.
overfloe
post Jan 23 2022, 01:00 PM

2,058 posts

QUOTE(rumpelstilt @ Jan 22 2022, 04:30 PM)
I actually use it to work/trade. There's a trading platform that requires heavy resources with multiple charts open at the same time. Even with the current model i'm using now, i'm facing a little lag. But that's all the budget i can work with for now, so gotta compromise a little.

Do you mind sharing a link for the RTX3050? is that an Nvidia brand?

Thanks for the recommendation.
aah a trader. to be honest, any 6-cores cpu, 16gb ram with integrated graphics will do just fine. if you plan to plug in external monitors using thunderbolt dock (to open up multiple charts), you will need intel cpu.

trading platform don't require a lot of rams. eforce-based platform & bursastation for example may use up only 3GB of rams. however, integrated graphics will used up 2GB so it is recommended to get more than 8GB. tradingview depends on browser requirements but it eats up memory as well if you open up multiple tabs.

yes the rtx3050 is an nvidia gpu. it is the cheapest rtx gpu now. if you dont game at all, the older gtx1650 gpu will be plenty fine you as well.

a lot of options with rm4k budget: acer nitro 5, dell g15, lenovo ideapad gaming 3, msi, asus. scout for discounts and you'll be able to get the dell g15 ryzen or ideapad gaming 3 under 4k. though of late, lenovo is supplying a crappy wifi card with their ryzen-based laptops.
overfloe
post Feb 14 2022, 09:44 AM

2,058 posts

QUOTE(rumpelstilt @ Feb 13 2022, 01:01 PM)
Hi @overfloe. So the trading vendor platform told me the ideal CPU speed should be around 4.5 GHZ without any delay when all charts are up.  So i've been looking a lot of spec and think the MSI GF63 THIN I5-10500H is good enough because it can overclock up to 4.5 Ghz.

My question is, for laptops, when it is overclocked constantly, would there be any issue in terms of potential damage to the processor chip? Since there's no extra cooling system in laptops. And i will be turning it on a lot during the day.
that 4.5GHz on the i5-10500h is not overclocked speed but the max turbo frequency at max TDP.

to run at max speed, the laptop will require good cooling. it won't damage the chip and the CPU will throttle down if it hits its max temp. to run at max speed, the cooling fan will run at full blast.. so usually, the fan will kaput first due to the prolonged run at high rpm tongue.gif

i have a workstation laptop with 8th gen i7 and it hits 100c occasionally when it is fully loaded. the GPU fan failed after 2 years. it has new CPU & GPU fans now and still running fine despite the heat.

I'm not familiar with MSI laptops but that Thin model looks like it has a single fan model, so it's either the CPU & GPU will run at lower tdp or the fan will work hard all day long to cool the CPU & GPU.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0186sec    0.29    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:46 AM