Windows update killed my laptop

views

TSHuman Nature
post Jan 16 2022, 01:48 PM

- student of human nature -
All Stars
25,130 posts

QUOTE(Muusyc @ Jan 16 2022, 01:39 PM)
Looks like your laptop is in a very bad shape and conditions. Now I really doubt that Windows update killed your laptop. Time to get yourself a new laptop.
That is just the hardware power button part. Software wise was good. But yeah, am scouting for a new laptop.
Muusyc
post Jan 16 2022, 02:08 PM

Getting Started
283 posts

QUOTE(Human Nature @ Jan 16 2022, 01:48 PM)
That is just the hardware power button part. Software wise was good. But yeah, am scouting for a new laptop.
doh.gif

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

netmatrix
post Jan 16 2022, 03:07 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

QUOTE(PRSXFENG @ Jan 15 2022, 04:39 PM)
Sounds like maybe a bios related issue?

Sometimes bios updates can come down alongside windows updates and might cause issues
Can almost confirm the BIOS update not complete. I think the DOS screen came up and is halfway updating BIOS/ FIRMWARE with red text and TS shut the laptop off.

In fact almost all brand new laptop i saw sold in 2020/2021 had firmware updates came with windows update!

If the firmware came from DELL update there is a safety feature that it will not update if there is no charger attached to it. It will cycle telling you there is a problem or charger not detected.

But i have not seen the firmware delivered though windows update did that. Damn scary yo.

So if anyone bought new laptop immediately run windows update with charger on. Finish all the windows update and it should be fine.

BUT TS said laptop no power. I would just try another charger just in case. Very likely the charger failed and the battery depleted. No way that is going to boot again without at least a 15 minutes charge.
TSHuman Nature
post Jan 16 2022, 03:15 PM

All Stars
25,130 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Jan 16 2022, 03:07 PM)
Can almost confirm the BIOS update not complete. I think the DOS screen came up and is halfway updating BIOS/ FIRMWARE with red text and TS shut the laptop off.

In fact almost all brand new laptop i saw sold in 2020/2021 had firmware updates came with windows update!

If the firmware came from DELL update there is a safety feature that it will not update if there is no charger attached to it. It will cycle telling you there is a problem or charger not detected.

But i have not seen the firmware delivered though windows update did that. Damn scary yo.

So if anyone bought new laptop immediately run windows update with charger on. Finish all the windows update and it should be fine.

BUT TS said laptop no power. I would just try another charger just in case. Very likely the charger failed and the battery depleted. No way that is going to boot again without at least a 15 minutes charge.
I selected the update and restart option, so I shut down after it reached the windows login page. The laptop has the adapter/charger on as the battery is removed. I also suspect that the laptop did not receive the power as the indicator just blinked 1 sec, as though not enough of juice. The physical power button is already faulty before this, so maybe they are related.
Muusyc
post Jan 23 2022, 05:17 PM

Getting Started
283 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Jan 16 2022, 03:07 PM)

I really doubt that the case especially when the battery is not present as been told by TS earlier, and I do recall by default (for safety reason) Dell laptop to be able to do a BIOS/Firmware updating both the AC adapter and battery must present unless a special DOS command is used to skipped the battery detection before a flashing is allowed to continue with warning to further allowing the process to proceed.

user posted image

This post has been edited by Muusyc: Jan 23 2022, 05:35 PM
ktek
post Jan 24 2022, 03:28 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,537 posts

hold FN + D + power button
he will run dell system checking
ktek
post Jan 24 2022, 03:29 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,537 posts

power button rosak, we change turn on function to ac recovery
twtang
post Jan 24 2022, 03:33 PM

On my way
626 posts

happened to my wife, windows 10 pro, XPS.
After windows updates before year end, laptop can't boot at all. Press power button no response.

Called Dell and replace mobo
TSHuman Nature
post Jan 24 2022, 03:35 PM

All Stars
25,130 posts

QUOTE(twtang @ Jan 24 2022, 03:33 PM)
happened to my wife, windows 10 pro, XPS.
After windows updates before year end, laptop can't boot at all. Press power button no response.

Called Dell and replace mobo
Oh, did the technician say what causes it?
twtang
post Jan 24 2022, 03:40 PM

On my way
626 posts

QUOTE(Human Nature @ Jan 24 2022, 03:35 PM)
Oh, did the technician say what causes it?
no, they just changed it. we waited for weeks for mobo to arrive.
TSHuman Nature
post Jan 24 2022, 03:44 PM

All Stars
25,130 posts

QUOTE(twtang @ Jan 24 2022, 03:40 PM)
no, they just changed it. we waited for weeks for mobo to arrive.
Luckily it is still under warranty, but caused this kind of inconveniences.
msacras
post Jan 25 2022, 12:26 AM

Regular
1,672 posts

I ain't actually surprised.

My Vostro3700 died few years ago on WIN8 too. I suspect it's the windows update messing and corrupted the BIOS somehow to the point the PC simply bricked.

This post has been edited by msacras: Jan 25 2022, 12:27 AM
TSHuman Nature
post Jan 25 2022, 01:40 AM

All Stars
25,130 posts

Common denominator seems to be dell. A few others who had the same issue were using dell too.

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0140sec    0.26    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:45 PM