Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Wira roof panel replacement or sunroof

views

TSnrr P
post Jan 8 2022, 11:25 PM, updated 2y ago

Probation
34 posts

Hi I am looking for anyone that can suggest me the best option if I should change to a sunroof or go with whole roof panel replacement? My problem is the roof rusting issue which is from the front to the back and I need it done asap

My thoughts on the both and so my confusion:

Roof panel replacement
1. Very close to sunroof cost. The quote I received is close from RM1k to RM1.3k with no warranty
2. Not genuine proton roof panel as it’s no longer manufactured. So my concern on it’s quality
3. Worried if the new panel may have the same issue in the future. I know the initial issue is due to glue used but would there be an instance of it reoccurring ?

Sunroof:
1. It cozy somewhere aroun RM1.5k to RM1.7k very close to the above but lifetime warranty for leaking not on parts
2. The process will cut the middle portion so worried if the rust cancer will still effect the portion that’s at the edges of the original roof.
3. Does the sunroof panel go down after a long period of time?
4. Does it require Jpj approval as I plan to change car ownership after the roof panel is done
5. Does the roof rigidity get compromised with the installation of the sunroof?

Hopefully any experienced in this topic can assist me here. I would also like to know any shop that you can recommend with Value for money pricing and reliable workmanship.
Balanced
post Jan 9 2022, 01:31 AM

On my way
688 posts

Go for whole roof panel replacement. If sunroof, must go for whole roof also since the rust will spread to the whole roof.

If wan gaya, take sunroof. Have risk of leaks. Need to occasionally use it or the gears will have issues opening close if too long. Yes roof rigidity compromised a bit. No need jpj approval i think..

If want practical and cheaper, take normal roof. Last time my previous sentra b13 workshop quote me rm800. Penang area
TSnrr P
post Jan 9 2022, 10:42 AM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(Balanced @ Jan 9 2022, 01:31 AM)
Go for whole roof panel replacement. If sunroof, must go for whole roof also since the rust will spread to the whole roof.

If wan gaya, take sunroof. Have risk of leaks. Need to occasionally use it or the gears will have issues opening close if too long. Yes roof rigidity compromised a bit. No need jpj approval i think..

If want practical and cheaper, take normal roof. Last time my previous sentra b13 workshop quote me rm800. Penang area
Thank you for your response. Can share some details of the workshop in Penang? I am from KL but I don’t mind going there if the price and the workmanship is right.
Balanced
post Jan 9 2022, 11:12 AM

On my way
688 posts

QUOTE(nrr @ Jan 9 2022, 10:42 AM)
Thank you for your response. Can share some details of the workshop in Penang? I am from KL but I don’t mind going there if the price and the workmanship is right.
KL much more shops doing this thing. Try search online or in fb. Sure have. Penang you do, then got leak when rain next day, how to claim warranty wor...
TSnrr P
post Jan 14 2022, 02:00 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(Balanced @ Jan 9 2022, 11:12 AM)
KL much more shops doing this thing. Try search online or in fb. Sure have. Penang you do, then got leak when rain next day, how to claim warranty wor...
I have searched multiple online but somehow I seem to get people cut throat or just not happy with their workmanship. Agreed KL would be much more practical for issues. Need to continue my survey on the workshop.
plc255
post Jan 14 2022, 04:58 PM

Getting Started
178 posts

side track a bit..

the wira roof problem was the biggest reason I upgraded my car a couple of years back.. just too tired at that time to deal with it.

good luck with your 550k wira. i clocked 420k on a 97 1.6(m) b4 selling it to my mechanic in year 2014. I still see the car often, and honestly I miss vroom vroom my old car..
TSnrr P
post Jan 15 2022, 09:09 AM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(plc255 @ Jan 14 2022, 04:58 PM)
side track a bit..

the wira roof problem was the biggest reason I upgraded my car a couple of years back.. just too tired at that time to deal with it.

good luck with your 550k wira. i clocked 420k on a 97 1.6(m) b4 selling it to my mechanic in year 2014. I still see the car often, and honestly I miss vroom vroom my old car..
Hey… ya it’s a pretty good car under the hood. Not the best but very very reliable and tough I must say. That’s sad to hear you had to sell it..
TSnrr P
post Jan 21 2022, 03:41 PM

Probation
34 posts

I have decided to go with the oem roof panel replacement instead coz I would like to maintain the original look of the car. Do tell me if you guys this is a good choice or otherwise?

The cost that I surveyed was around 1.2k to 1.3k no warranty included. Is this expensive or about right? Some other shop is going to about 1.7 which I find ridiculous. Not sure if anyone has done this change and it’s a good choice.

Angry Clerk
post Jan 22 2022, 07:59 PM

Getting Started
215 posts

interested.. parking to know more
Balanced
post Jan 23 2022, 05:37 PM

On my way
688 posts

QUOTE(plc255 @ Jan 14 2022, 04:58 PM)
side track a bit..

Your car must be good since he wanted it.
How much u sold it for? Rm4k?
Balanced
post Jan 23 2022, 05:39 PM

On my way
688 posts

QUOTE(nrr @ Jan 21 2022, 03:41 PM)
I have decided to go with the oem roof panel replacement instead coz I would like to maintain the original look of the car. Do tell me if you guys this is a good choice or otherwise?

The cost that I surveyed was around 1.2k to 1.3k no warranty included. Is this expensive or about right? Some other shop is going to about 1.7 which I find ridiculous. Not sure if anyone has done this change and it’s a good choice.
I think that is a fair price. Yeah if its me i also would go for oem roof. Sunroof might leak and here is malaysia, hot dusty weather
TSnrr P
post Jan 27 2022, 10:36 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(Balanced @ Jan 23 2022, 05:39 PM)
I think that is a fair price. Yeah if its me i also would go for oem roof. Sunroof might leak and here is malaysia, hot dusty weather
Yup doing it after the CNY holidays. I asked for them to fix the roof without the painting but the guy tells me he can’t do it without painting coz of the edges near the mirror needs to be painted if not cannot be installed. Unfortunately I will be repainting the whole car after all the required things are done on the car. Thought I could save some extra couple hundreds there, but no luck there.
empire
post Jan 30 2022, 12:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,502 posts

sunroof is the most silly thing Malaysians installed in their cars. I can understand if we are in europe where the weather is very cold and you want sun to enter your car....but Malaysia is damn hot and extremely wet. Both very harsh elements... and there are people who think a sunroof is practical in Malaysia??
TSnrr P
post Feb 2 2022, 06:41 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(empire @ Jan 30 2022, 12:36 PM)
sunroof is the most silly thing Malaysians installed in their cars. I can understand if we are in europe where the weather is very cold and you want sun to enter your car....but Malaysia is damn hot and extremely wet. Both very harsh elements... and there are people who think a sunroof is practical in Malaysia??
Haha.. I would think probably it’s for either the stylish look or the 2nd thing would be if u would just wanna have the night breeze cruising on a long drive. That’s what I would have wanted it for initially. But changed my mind to keep it rather original.
TSnrr P
post Feb 19 2022, 11:13 AM

Probation
34 posts

Hi guys.. hope all had a very well CNY. I have got very sad news to share. My roof panel which I was supposed to replace after CNY with the quote of 1.2k - 1.3k now the guy changes his price and tells me 1.6k. Terrible cut throat shop. Just couple weeks back was 400 cheaper and he tells me that price can’t do. I think next time need to record the conversation. Very disappointed. I will need to find for another shop in this case. Damn wasted my time.
TSnrr P
post Aug 9 2022, 11:13 AM

Probation
34 posts

Changed my roof at last. Had another unpleasant experience with one of the workshop that promised to do it for 1k and they purposely delayed as they gave priority to big and expensive cars in store( store in Ampang) for nearly 5 months keeping my car. I decided to move to a different store and they completed it for me for 1.3k. Work was done very well. Will post some pics of anyone interested.
ktek
post Aug 9 2022, 11:53 PM

拼拼拼多啦
All Stars
12,545 posts

pics come2. include painting for 1300 worth

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0169sec    0.29    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:30 AM