Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Wira overhaul price and good workshop in kl

views

TSnrr P
post Jan 8 2022, 11:11 PM, updated 2y ago

Probation
34 posts

Happy New Year.

I am kinda new here and it’s my first post. Would like to get some sifu and legends to help me here.

My wira ‘99 mileage about 550k, never done overhaul and I am looking to do some restoration. The workshop I went to says that if it’s more then half million it needs to be overhauled even if it drives fine. I never had any major engine issues nor reduction in engine oil. Only see some oil leakage below the distributor.

Do I still need a full overhaul to be done? If yes, what is the expected price and if you can recommend me some reliable workshop which doesn’t cut throat.
TSnrr P
post Jan 14 2022, 01:55 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(Balanced @ Jan 9 2022, 01:40 AM)
Wow 550k and going strong. Dont need to overhaul if no issues. If your car always travel long distances, its possible engine still good.
If u itchy to know engine health, do a compression test and leak down test, but personally i wont bother since u said no issues.

Top overhaul around a few hundreds. Full overhaul around 1.5k and above depending on what needs to be done. Only can know after open engine.
Thank you for your response. I am planning to keep the car for a very long time so if you talk about compression and leak down test will it do any harm to my engine or it’s good to be done? What would be the cost like? And any recommendation on the a good workshop for this?

For the full overhaul, is it possible to get proton genuine parts considering the age of the model? And any recommended workshop that does overhaul with no headaches thereafter.
TSnrr P
post Jan 14 2022, 01:58 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(kdr93 @ Jan 9 2022, 01:02 PM)
With older cars sometimes doing top overhaul can do more harm then good.

Unless you are prepared to do major overhaul, it might actually worsen otherwise minor issues previuosly.

If no compression issues or blow by then no need to overhaul.

I would use the funds to replace the other components like your timing belt and pulleys, water pump , moutings, radiotor and hoses etc.
Thank you for your response.

Yes that was my initial thought as well if I were to touch things that weren’t broken for the past 20 years it’s gonna do more damage but I would also like to ensure the care can run for the next 20 years(if that’s possible) without any major issues.

I will be changing the components you have mentioned to make sure all that is taken care off.

TSnrr P
post Jan 15 2022, 09:13 AM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(Balanced @ Jan 14 2022, 02:17 PM)
I guess the cost would be around rm100+-.
It won't do any harm to the engine. Find any reputable shops around you.

I think proton overhauling kit still have genuine parts. However proper full overhaul including rebore, new bigger pistons due to rebored block, all bearings, piston rings, full balancing etc, you will be looking at a few thousands. Most people just change piston rings as a shortcut to save cost. This will cost around 2k i think.
Cool will get that test done just to know how things are doing with the engine.

And thanks for the estimates so I can plan the required accordingly.
TSnrr P
post Jan 15 2022, 09:14 AM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(Thrust @ Jan 14 2022, 03:33 PM)
My suggestion is don't do overhaul if your engine is still running fine and don't consume engine oil.

Probably what I will do is to replace all the oil seals.
Yeah my thought too. Coz I believe the o ring needs to be replaced as well. Since I see some leak below the distributor but not major since no reduction on engine oil. I check them weekly so I am pretty sure.
TSnrr P
post Jan 20 2022, 10:57 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(Thrust @ Jan 15 2022, 09:52 AM)
I recommendation is to replace all oil seals and do valve adjustment. Refer to the link below for valve clearance gaps.

Do these 2 will keep your engine stay healthy.
Thank you for the link. There some good info and tips there. Will do the suggested.
TSnrr P
post Jan 20 2022, 11:00 PM

Probation
34 posts

I tried contacting some shop on doing the compression test and leak down test but many don’t even know about it. Some well known shops too so I am surprised this guys are in business with just the regular.

Would appreciate if anyone can suggest me shops that you know of which would do this.
TSnrr P
post Jan 21 2022, 03:34 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Jan 21 2022, 12:24 PM)
While conducting a cylinder pressure compression test and leak down test is well-intentioned, as a well-meaning makan gaji mechanic (of which I'm not one) I would counter-suggest you to abandon the idea basing on your disclosures thus far.

Even if you're facing a small drop in engine power or pick-up (which you are not), I would then suggest you vroom vroom the car at high engine speed of 4000-5500 rpm periodically (aka Italian tune up) at highway speeds which would surely improve the smoothness of running engine.

As others have suggested, don't touch it (like un-needed top/major overhauls) and only replace 1 or 2 parts as and when the need arises, not so much of what you want to replace.

Keywords: need vs want.
Thank you @zeng for the needed to hear comments. Yes I do have slight leak below the radiator, nothing major as mentioned so I would do the seal change, water pump, timing belt and etc and only change anything required.

You are right spending on things that’s not needed is just gonna make some mechanic happy but when it’s not needed in the first place.

I would like to also ask on what kinda shop should I look for to do some tidying work on my cables, wires, and pipes in the engine bay coz it’s kinda needs some cleanup to change those reput cables and change some wires that’s in bad shape due to the wearing over 20+ years.
TSnrr P
post Jan 23 2022, 12:07 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Jan 22 2022, 01:08 PM)
Leak below radiator?
Don't play play with coolant leaks as, it correlates with engine overheating compelling one to carry out engine major overhauls.
The consolation with Wira is you have cast iron cylinder head and cylinder block which can tahan against acute  dimension distortions arising from engine overheating.
Please remedy coolant leaks, fast, without further delay!!!
Replace coolant (rubber) hoses and coolant (iron) pipes generously especially there are more than 15-20 year old.
Reput cables and wires ? Don't worry too much about this as it won't lead to compulsory engine major overhaul due to overheating. Change the wire as and when it appears bad to you, never ever replace the whole wiring harness as sometimes proposed.
Epic fail from my end. I meant slight leak below the distributor believe it has to do with the o ring seal. Sorry but thank you so much for the insights to the car and Co incidentally yesterday the car was overheating and I checked it at home to identify it was due to the radiator fan fuse that had some issue and now it’s back to normal.
TSnrr P
post Jan 27 2022, 10:23 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Jan 23 2022, 03:03 PM)
Huuuh... sweat.gif
Does coolant temperature needle touches Red zone?
If yes, for how many seconds whilst on red?
If no, how many mm was the coolant temp needle away from the edge of the red zone?

Note: Oil leaks is less worrisome compared to coolant leaks, as long as engine oil level remains higher than MIN on dipstick.
Not suggesting oil leaks is a non-issue.

Note2: On 2 separate occassions, coolant temperature needle touches the Red zone on my 2007 Avanza - no harm to cylinder head and its gasket. Only on one time (out of 2) I replace valve cover gasket .
Nope it did not touch the red zone. Pulled over way before that. It was due to the radiator fuse which has an issue on its bottom end with some corrosion. Need to get that either fixed or replaced depending when I open it. The fan works if u just move the fuse slightly.

On the oil leak part no reduction on my dip stick I check it every week just to make sure. It’s above the middle line as when I have serviced the car.
TSnrr P
post Jan 27 2022, 10:27 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(LA773 @ Jan 24 2022, 06:10 PM)
Was thinking of doing major service and touch up for my 20+ yrs wira aerobaak too
Mainly those rubberwear n tear and suspension parts, repaint maybe
Let us know once u done urs and the cost bro
Awesome… good luck with yours. Surely will do. Right now I am just waiting for CNY to get over and I will be sending my car to change my roof first. That’s about 1.3k. I hope to stay around the 5k mark. But I am also opting to probably go with nippon full paint and clear which was quoted to be around 3.8k.. kinda on the high side but the work looks good. Anyone here can share some hoot paint shops that also provides warranty as what I was quoted is giving me a 3 year warranty as well.
TSnrr P
post Jan 28 2022, 08:54 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(LA773 @ Jan 27 2022, 11:08 PM)
3 yrs is a long warranty period, need to ask warranty of wat in details ? Later say not covered this & that

Im thinking to go for repair n change parts first, at the same time get mechanic to check engine etc condition if its worth it & can drive 5-10 more yrs
If not, paint d, break down after 1 year, wasted only
Yup that’s surely gonna be questioned before I send my car to them.

Good idea to get to know if it’s worth doing all those things over the long run. For me I believe my car can sustain as long as I get done with all the advices the Sufi’s here have provided. Let’s see how it goes.
TSnrr P
post Feb 2 2022, 06:37 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(kyuen5 @ Jan 29 2022, 02:03 AM)
That's interesting to know. I have a Wira AB that needs a new roof too. Can I know where you are getting yours done? Thanks.
Hi sure please do me separately and I will share the details. It’s at Segambut area
TSnrr P
post Feb 2 2022, 06:39 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(nrr @ Feb 2 2022, 06:37 PM)
Hi sure please do dm me separately and I will share the details. It’s at Segambut area
TSnrr P
post Feb 21 2022, 02:07 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(kyuen5 @ Jan 29 2022, 02:03 AM)
That's interesting to know. I have a Wira AB that needs a new roof too. Can I know where you are getting yours done? Thanks.
Hi. Update to the previous note on getting my roof done. It’s halted now as the guy in the workshop changes his price quoted after CNY. It was quoted 1.2k-1.3k now he says nothing less than 1.6k which to me is ridiculous.. I decided I am not giving it to someone who cannot keep up to their words. Gave him a peace of mind and told him to next time write down somewhere on what he had told people. Anyway now in the journey to look for another workshop that can do this for the right price.
TSnrr P
post Aug 9 2022, 11:15 AM

Probation
34 posts

Roof work completed. Next need to work on the suspension system, engine (small fixing), and interior. Gonna do this project slow and cost efficient

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0179sec    0.65    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:09 PM