Wira overhaul price and good workshop in kl

views

TSnrr P
post Jan 23 2022, 12:07 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Jan 22 2022, 01:08 PM)
Leak below radiator?
Don't play play with coolant leaks as, it correlates with engine overheating compelling one to carry out engine major overhauls.
The consolation with Wira is you have cast iron cylinder head and cylinder block which can tahan against acute  dimension distortions arising from engine overheating.
Please remedy coolant leaks, fast, without further delay!!!
Replace coolant (rubber) hoses and coolant (iron) pipes generously especially there are more than 15-20 year old.
Reput cables and wires ? Don't worry too much about this as it won't lead to compulsory engine major overhaul due to overheating. Change the wire as and when it appears bad to you, never ever replace the whole wiring harness as sometimes proposed.
Epic fail from my end. I meant slight leak below the distributor believe it has to do with the o ring seal. Sorry but thank you so much for the insights to the car and Co incidentally yesterday the car was overheating and I checked it at home to identify it was due to the radiator fan fuse that had some issue and now it’s back to normal.
Mysagavvt
post Jan 23 2022, 12:34 PM

45 posts

QUOTE(kdr93 @ Jan 21 2022, 11:33 AM)
Older cars that have been running for so long have been worn down components.

Over time the components might have compensated  and with material buildup that has kept the engine running all this years. Mating surfaces would have been worn down unevenly, yet it has done so in a way that hasn't caused any leaks/ problems.

Older components may not be able to mate properly with the replaced parts.

Merely doing top overhaul might mean that the older components and tolerances are no longer able to 'gel' properly and in place.

Unless you are prepared to potentially do an extensive overhaul, top overhaul could potentially open up a can of worms.

Just my 2cents.
a top overhaul will clear carbon deposits in and around the head. if the camshaft lobes show wear, time to replace it, or bring it to kem kita to have it reground...... the valves will sit nicely too, if valve grinding is done properly..... the head should be lightly skimmed to ensure a level surface, ready for a new head gasket....... coupled with a new timing belt and water pump, besides new gaskets, oil seals, fresh plugs and engine oil will give the car a new breadth of life..... engine will feel slightly smoother.... i don't see how it could be detrimental to old engines
zeng
post Jan 23 2022, 03:03 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(nrr @ Jan 23 2022, 12:07 PM)
Epic fail from my end. I meant slight leak below the distributor believe it has to do with the o ring seal. Sorry but thank you so much for the insights to the car and Co incidentally yesterday the car was overheating and I checked it at home to identify it was due to the radiator fan fuse that had some issue and now it’s back to normal.
Huuuh... sweat.gif
Does coolant temperature needle touches Red zone?
If yes, for how many seconds whilst on red?
If no, how many mm was the coolant temp needle away from the edge of the red zone?

Note: Oil leaks is less worrisome compared to coolant leaks, as long as engine oil level remains higher than MIN on dipstick.
Not suggesting oil leaks is a non-issue.

Note2: On 2 separate occassions, coolant temperature needle touches the Red zone on my 2007 Avanza - no harm to cylinder head and its gasket. Only on one time (out of 2) I replace valve cover gasket .

This post has been edited by zeng: Jan 23 2022, 03:10 PM
LA773
post Jan 24 2022, 06:10 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

Was thinking of doing major service and touch up for my 20+ yrs wira aerobaak too
Mainly those rubberwear n tear and suspension parts, repaint maybe
Let us know once u done urs and the cost bro
LA773
post Jan 24 2022, 06:14 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Jan 23 2022, 03:03 PM)
Huuuh... sweat.gif
If no, how many mm was the coolant temp needle away from the edge of the red zone?

Note: Oil leaks is less worrisome compared to coolant leaks, as long as engine oil level remains higher than MIN on dipstick.

Note2: On 2 separate occassions, coolant temperature needle touches the Red zone on my 2007 Avanza - no harm to cylinder head and its gasket. Only on one time (out of 2) I replace valve cover gasket .
I had engine oil leak too last week
Actually its been there almost 1 yr
So should not be an issue
But when i went to service my car, the workshop told me some cars that caught on fire on the road are mainly due to the engine oil leak and got to car exhaust piping, that's when fire happen
Immediately i went for engine wash n change gasket seal
zeng
post Jan 25 2022, 11:45 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(LA773 @ Jan 24 2022, 06:14 PM)
But when i went to service my car, the workshop told me some cars that caught on fire on the road are mainly due to the engine oil leak and got to car exhaust piping, that's when fire happen
I understand car owners get frightened with bold above which sounds logical with leaking engine oil but, IME several decades ago 1980's Ford Ghia car engines, yes in plural form, used to catch burning fire on road sides due to typical fuel (highly flammable) leaking carburretor which sat and was positioned right directly on top of exhaust pipes.

I don't remember there was any then Japanese carburretors like Nissan/Toyota having exhaust related burning engines on road sides, let alone caused by leaking petrol fuel from Japanese carburretors. CMIIMW.

Exhaust related engine burning incidents due to leaking engine oil ??????

Come on, this mechanic with (I'm sure) no direct experience/witnessing with a burning engine incident as purportedly caused by leaking engine oil, must be pulling a fast one on you imho.

Can one imagine the voluminous amount of white smoke resulting from a tiny but harmles amount of leaking engine oil onto exhaust pipes (which happens quite often and regularly after filling up or topping up fresh new engine oil), goes unnoticed by car owners prior to leaking engine oil related engine burning, if any?

Having said that, I stand to be corrected on leaking engine oil related burning engine incidents from sifus who had directly and personally seen and investigate such cases, with his own eyes and his own conclusion.

Hearsay? Or no please.

Edit: If my memory serves me right, carbuttetor on my disposed 1994 Wira (Mitsubishi) does NOT sit directly on top of exhaust pipes.

This post has been edited by zeng: Jan 25 2022, 12:12 PM
LA773
post Jan 25 2022, 12:47 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Jan 25 2022, 11:45 AM)
I understand car owners get frightened with bold above which sounds logical with leaking engine oil but, IME several decades ago 1980's Ford Ghia car engines, yes in plural form, used to catch burning fire on road sides due to typical fuel (highly flammable) leaking carburretor which sat and was positioned right directly on top of exhaust pipes.

I don't remember there was any then Japanese carburretors like Nissan/Toyota having exhaust related burning engines on road sides, let alone caused by leaking petrol fuel from Japanese carburretors. CMIIMW.

Exhaust related engine burning incidents due to leaking engine oil ??????

Come on, this mechanic with (I'm sure) no direct experience/witnessing with a burning engine incident as purportedly caused by leaking engine oil, must be pulling a fast one on you imho.

Can one imagine the voluminous amount of white smoke resulting from a tiny but harmles amount of leaking engine oil onto exhaust pipes (which happens quite often and regularly after filling up or topping up fresh new engine oil), goes unnoticed by car owners prior to leaking engine oil related engine burning, if any?

Having said that, I stand to be corrected on leaking engine oil related burning engine incidents from sifus who had directly and personally seen and investigate such cases, with his own eyes and his own conclusion.

Hearsay? Or no please.

Edit: If my memory serves me right, carbuttetor on my disposed 1994 Wira (Mitsubishi) does NOT sit directly on top of exhaust pipes.
Yea, actually i personally doubt that EO leak can cause fire, since my car has been leaking on & off for many years. Somehow my valve cover gasket starts leak after 2-3 years after replacing new ones.
But since hv to change anyway, and its causing heavy oil smells, so i just change lo

zeng
post Jan 25 2022, 02:01 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(LA773 @ Jan 25 2022, 12:47 PM)
Yea, actually i personally doubt that EO leak can cause fire, since my car has been leaking on & off for many years. Somehow my valve cover gasket starts leak after 2-3 years after replacing new ones.
But since hv to change anyway, and its causing heavy oil smells, so i just change lo
Valve cover gaskets leaks again, 2-3 years after previous replacement?

That is not too bad a valve cover gasket imo.

My 2007 Avanza valve cover gasket replacement job last me exactly 16 months only from Sept 2020 to Jan 2022, after for the first time ever in this 15 yo Avanza I had very bad oil leaks so much so as to compelling me to top up engine oil between oil changes.

How much? about 0.6L ...... it's sort of a record for me.

Prior to previous valve cover gasket job in 2020, there had never been any oil leak phenomenon. But why the job, you may ask?

That's because my engine overheated (with coolant temperature needle in red zone for like 2-3 seconds and a very loud and strange engine sound) whilst driving otw back to kampung......
help came with 6L of water to fill up, and you know what? Can't see water level in the radiator after 6L fill!

Before your engine is a burning fire due to leaking engine oil onto exhaust pipes as warned by OP's mechanic above, you would suffer a very huge and plentiful amount of smelly engine smoke from under hood. That should give you plenty of time and warning to sort it out once and for all before a real engine burning with fire happens.

This post has been edited by zeng: Jan 25 2022, 02:03 PM
LA773
post Jan 25 2022, 05:14 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Jan 25 2022, 02:01 PM)
Valve cover gaskets leaks again, 2-3 years after previous replacement?

That is not too bad a valve cover gasket imo.

My 2007 Avanza valve cover gasket replacement job last me exactly 16 months only from Sept 2020 to Jan 2022, after for the first time ever in this 15 yo Avanza I had very bad oil leaks so much so as to compelling me to top up engine oil between oil changes.

How much? about 0.6L ...... it's sort of a record for me.

Prior to previous valve cover gasket job in 2020, there had never been any oil leak phenomenon. But why the job, you may ask?

That's because my engine overheated (with coolant temperature needle in red zone for like 2-3 seconds and a very loud and strange engine sound) whilst driving otw back to kampung......
help came with 6L of water to fill up,  and you know what? Can't see water level in the radiator after 6L fill!

Before your engine is a burning fire due to leaking engine oil onto exhaust pipes as warned by OP's mechanic above, you would suffer a very huge and plentiful amount of smelly engine smoke from under hood. That should give you plenty of time and warning to sort it out once and for all before a real engine burning with fire happens.
My other car had this issue as well, changed O2 sensor and water pump. Problem solved
Yea,mostly gasket rosak due to overheating
TSnrr P
post Jan 27 2022, 10:23 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Jan 23 2022, 03:03 PM)
Huuuh... sweat.gif

Nope it did not touch the red zone. Pulled over way before that. It was due to the radiator fuse which has an issue on its bottom end with some corrosion. Need to get that either fixed or replaced depending when I open it. The fan works if u just move the fuse slightly.

On the oil leak part no reduction on my dip stick I check it every week just to make sure. It’s above the middle line as when I have serviced the car.
TSnrr P
post Jan 27 2022, 10:27 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(LA773 @ Jan 24 2022, 06:10 PM)
Was thinking of doing major service and touch up for my 20+ yrs wira aerobaak too
Mainly those rubberwear n tear and suspension parts, repaint maybe
Let us know once u done urs and the cost bro
Awesome… good luck with yours. Surely will do. Right now I am just waiting for CNY to get over and I will be sending my car to change my roof first. That’s about 1.3k. I hope to stay around the 5k mark. But I am also opting to probably go with nippon full paint and clear which was quoted to be around 3.8k.. kinda on the high side but the work looks good. Anyone here can share some hoot paint shops that also provides warranty as what I was quoted is giving me a 3 year warranty as well.
LA773
post Jan 27 2022, 11:08 PM

Enthusiast
943 posts

QUOTE(nrr @ Jan 27 2022, 10:27 PM)
Awesome… good luck with yours. Surely will do. Right now I am just waiting for CNY to get over and I will be sending my car to change my roof first. That’s about 1.3k. I hope to stay around the 5k mark. But I am also opting to probably go with nippon full paint and clear which was quoted to be around 3.8k.. kinda on the high side but the work looks good. Anyone here can share some hoot paint shops that also provides warranty as what I was quoted is giving me a 3 year warranty as well.
3 yrs is a long warranty period, need to ask warranty of wat in details ? Later say not covered this & that

Im thinking to go for repair n change parts first, at the same time get mechanic to check engine etc condition if its worth it & can drive 5-10 more yrs
If not, paint d, break down after 1 year, wasted only
TSnrr P
post Jan 28 2022, 08:54 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(LA773 @ Jan 27 2022, 11:08 PM)
3 yrs is a long warranty period, need to ask warranty of wat in details ? Later say not covered this & that

Im thinking to go for repair n change parts first, at the same time get mechanic to check engine etc condition if its worth it & can drive 5-10 more yrs
If not, paint d, break down after 1 year, wasted only
Yup that’s surely gonna be questioned before I send my car to them.

Good idea to get to know if it’s worth doing all those things over the long run. For me I believe my car can sustain as long as I get done with all the advices the Sufi’s here have provided. Let’s see how it goes.
Balanced
post Jan 28 2022, 11:41 PM

On my way
680 posts

QUOTE(LA773 @ Jan 24 2022, 06:14 PM)
Engine oil won't cause fire even if touch the exhaust. Engine oil typically won't burn over 200C. Mineral engine oil maybe less around 170C I think. See engine oil flash point to confirm.
Petrol or wiring intermittent sparking yes can cause fire.
LA773
post Jan 29 2022, 12:06 AM

Enthusiast
943 posts

QUOTE(Balanced @ Jan 28 2022, 11:41 PM)
Engine oil won't cause fire even if touch the exhaust. Engine oil typically won't burn over 200C. Mineral engine oil maybe less around 170C I think. See engine oil flash point to confirm.
Petrol or wiring intermittent sparking yes can cause fire.
Ya, i ignored it for quite a long time
But I did some googling, mostly say its possible to catch fire eg..

https://www.wapcar.my/news/6-reasons-why-ca...void-them-22471

Maybe its rare, but sooner or later u still hv to replace the gasket.. For the engine performance and also the oil smell especially when its hot
Long term its still bad for ur health
Its just cost like rm50-60, if buy online i saw like rm20 only
So, just change it
Balanced
post Jan 29 2022, 12:28 AM

On my way
680 posts

QUOTE(LA773 @ Jan 29 2022, 12:06 AM)
Ya, i ignored it for quite a long time
But I did some googling, mostly say its possible to catch fire eg..

https://www.wapcar.my/news/6-reasons-why-ca...void-them-22471

Maybe its rare, but sooner or later u still hv to replace the gasket.. For the engine performance and also the oil smell especially when its hot
Long term its still bad for ur health
Its just cost like rm50-60, if buy online i saw like rm20 only
So, just change it
Oh that is news to me.
I have seen tons of cars leaking at the engine head valve cover and engine oils are basically coating the whole manifold exhaust area blink.gif
So far no fire yet la.
The cars are the workhorse, they won't repair it. Just continue pouring cheapest mineral engine oil they can find
LA773
post Jan 29 2022, 01:50 AM

Enthusiast
943 posts

QUOTE(Balanced @ Jan 29 2022, 12:28 AM)
Oh that is news to me.
I have seen tons of cars leaking at the engine head valve cover and engine oils are basically coating the whole manifold exhaust area  blink.gif
So far no fire yet la.
The cars are the workhorse, they won't repair it. Just continue pouring cheapest mineral engine oil they can find
I think small leaks won't reach the exhaust manifold area, most probably just coat the valve cover areas.
Maybe major leaks & also coincide with very hot temperatures like long journeys + overheating engines+ hot weather etc+ sparks
Anyhow, i just play it safe lo
kyuen5
post Jan 29 2022, 02:03 AM

3 posts

QUOTE(nrr @ Jan 27 2022, 10:27 PM)
That's interesting to know. I have a Wira AB that needs a new roof too. Can I know where you are getting yours done? Thanks.
TSnrr P
post Feb 2 2022, 06:37 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(kyuen5 @ Jan 29 2022, 02:03 AM)
That's interesting to know. I have a Wira AB that needs a new roof too. Can I know where you are getting yours done? Thanks.
Hi sure please do me separately and I will share the details. It’s at Segambut area
TSnrr P
post Feb 2 2022, 06:39 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(nrr @ Feb 2 2022, 06:37 PM)
Hi sure please do dm me separately and I will share the details. It’s at Segambut area

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0172sec    0.95    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:29 PM