Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Wira overhaul price and good workshop in kl

views

TSnrr P
post Jan 8 2022, 11:11 PM, updated 2y ago

Probation
34 posts

Happy New Year.

I am kinda new here and it’s my first post. Would like to get some sifu and legends to help me here.

My wira ‘99 mileage about 550k, never done overhaul and I am looking to do some restoration. The workshop I went to says that if it’s more then half million it needs to be overhauled even if it drives fine. I never had any major engine issues nor reduction in engine oil. Only see some oil leakage below the distributor.

Do I still need a full overhaul to be done? If yes, what is the expected price and if you can recommend me some reliable workshop which doesn’t cut throat.
Balanced
post Jan 9 2022, 01:40 AM

On my way
680 posts

QUOTE(nrr @ Jan 8 2022, 11:11 PM)
Happy New Year.

I am kinda new here and it’s my first post. Would like to get some sifu and legends to help me here.

My wira ‘99 mileage about 550k, never done overhaul and I am looking to do some restoration. The workshop I went to says that if it’s more then half million it needs to be overhauled even if it drives fine. I never had any major engine issues nor reduction in engine oil. Only see some oil leakage below the distributor.

Do I still need a full overhaul to be done? If yes, what is the expected price and if you can recommend me some reliable workshop which doesn’t cut throat.
Wow 550k and going strong. Dont need to overhaul if no issues. If your car always travel long distances, its possible engine still good.
If u itchy to know engine health, do a compression test and leak down test, but personally i wont bother since u said no issues.

Top overhaul around a few hundreds. Full overhaul around 1.5k and above depending on what needs to be done. Only can know after open engine.

zeng
post Jan 9 2022, 05:15 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

Congratulations on your 550k Wira.
No, the Wira don't need a full/major overhaul neither does it need a top/minor overhaul when things are running fine.

Just monitor closely coolant temperature and engine oil loss, if any.

kdr93
post Jan 9 2022, 01:02 PM

On my way
534 posts

With older cars sometimes doing top overhaul can do more harm then good.

Unless you are prepared to do major overhaul, it might actually worsen otherwise minor issues previuosly.

If no compression issues or blow by then no need to overhaul.

I would use the funds to replace the other components like your timing belt and pulleys, water pump , moutings, radiotor and hoses etc.
TSnrr P
post Jan 14 2022, 01:55 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(Balanced @ Jan 9 2022, 01:40 AM)
Wow 550k and going strong. Dont need to overhaul if no issues. If your car always travel long distances, its possible engine still good.
If u itchy to know engine health, do a compression test and leak down test, but personally i wont bother since u said no issues.

Top overhaul around a few hundreds. Full overhaul around 1.5k and above depending on what needs to be done. Only can know after open engine.
Thank you for your response. I am planning to keep the car for a very long time so if you talk about compression and leak down test will it do any harm to my engine or it’s good to be done? What would be the cost like? And any recommendation on the a good workshop for this?

For the full overhaul, is it possible to get proton genuine parts considering the age of the model? And any recommended workshop that does overhaul with no headaches thereafter.
TSnrr P
post Jan 14 2022, 01:58 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(kdr93 @ Jan 9 2022, 01:02 PM)

Unless you are prepared to do major overhaul, it might actually worsen otherwise minor issues previuosly.

I would use the funds to replace the other components like your timing belt and pulleys, water pump , moutings, radiotor and hoses etc.
Thank you for your response.

Yes that was my initial thought as well if I were to touch things that weren’t broken for the past 20 years it’s gonna do more damage but I would also like to ensure the care can run for the next 20 years(if that’s possible) without any major issues.

I will be changing the components you have mentioned to make sure all that is taken care off.

Balanced
post Jan 14 2022, 02:17 PM

On my way
680 posts

QUOTE(nrr @ Jan 14 2022, 01:55 PM)
Thank you for your response. I am planning to keep the car for a very long time so if you talk about compression and leak down test will it do any harm to my engine or it’s good to be done? What would be the cost like? And any recommendation on the a good workshop for this?

For the full overhaul, is it possible to get proton genuine parts considering the age of the model? And any recommended workshop that does overhaul with no headaches thereafter.
I guess the cost would be around rm100+-.
It won't do any harm to the engine. Find any reputable shops around you.

I think proton overhauling kit still have genuine parts. However proper full overhaul including rebore, new bigger pistons due to rebored block, all bearings, piston rings, full balancing etc, you will be looking at a few thousands. Most people just change piston rings as a shortcut to save cost. This will cost around 2k i think.
h0riz0nLine
post Jan 14 2022, 02:22 PM

Getting Started
175 posts

550k if drives fine then no need touch anything. Overhaul usually done when got problem.
Thrust
post Jan 14 2022, 03:33 PM

Power To The People!!!
3,689 posts

My suggestion is don't do overhaul if your engine is still running fine and don't consume engine oil.

Probably what I will do is to replace all the oil seals.
TSnrr P
post Jan 15 2022, 09:13 AM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(Balanced @ Jan 14 2022, 02:17 PM)
I guess the cost would be around rm100+-.
It won't do any harm to the engine. Find any reputable shops around you.

I think proton overhauling kit still have genuine parts. However proper full overhaul including rebore, new bigger pistons due to rebored block, all bearings, piston rings, full balancing etc, you will be looking at a few thousands. Most people just change piston rings as a shortcut to save cost. This will cost around 2k i think.
Cool will get that test done just to know how things are doing with the engine.

And thanks for the estimates so I can plan the required accordingly.
TSnrr P
post Jan 15 2022, 09:14 AM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(Thrust @ Jan 14 2022, 03:33 PM)
My suggestion is don't do overhaul if your engine is still running fine and don't consume engine oil.

Probably what I will do is to replace all the oil seals.
Yeah my thought too. Coz I believe the o ring needs to be replaced as well. Since I see some leak below the distributor but not major since no reduction on engine oil. I check them weekly so I am pretty sure.
Thrust
post Jan 15 2022, 09:52 AM

Power To The People!!!
3,689 posts

QUOTE(nrr @ Jan 15 2022, 09:14 AM)
Yeah my thought too. Coz I believe the o ring needs to be replaced as well. Since I see some leak below the distributor but not major since no reduction on engine oil. I check them weekly so I am pretty sure.
I recommendation is to replace all oil seals and do valve adjustment. Refer to the link below for valve clearance gaps.

https://www.diytacra.com/2010/12/4g1315-val...adjustment.html

Do these 2 will keep your engine stay healthy.
TSnrr P
post Jan 20 2022, 10:57 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(Thrust @ Jan 15 2022, 09:52 AM)
I recommendation is to replace all oil seals and do valve adjustment. Refer to the link below for valve clearance gaps.

Do these 2 will keep your engine stay healthy.
Thank you for the link. There some good info and tips there. Will do the suggested.
TSnrr P
post Jan 20 2022, 11:00 PM

Probation
34 posts

I tried contacting some shop on doing the compression test and leak down test but many don’t even know about it. Some well known shops too so I am surprised this guys are in business with just the regular.

Would appreciate if anyone can suggest me shops that you know of which would do this.
Mysagavvt
post Jan 21 2022, 10:04 AM

45 posts

QUOTE(kdr93 @ Jan 9 2022, 01:02 PM)

just curious.... what do u mean by more harm than good?

kdr93
post Jan 21 2022, 11:33 AM

On my way
534 posts

QUOTE(Mysagavvt @ Jan 21 2022, 10:04 AM)
just curious.... what do u mean by more harm than good?
Older cars that have been running for so long have been worn down components.

Over time the components might have compensated and with material buildup that has kept the engine running all this years. Mating surfaces would have been worn down unevenly, yet it has done so in a way that hasn't caused any leaks/ problems.

Older components may not be able to mate properly with the replaced parts.

Merely doing top overhaul might mean that the older components and tolerances are no longer able to 'gel' properly and in place.

Unless you are prepared to potentially do an extensive overhaul, top overhaul could potentially open up a can of worms.

Just my 2cents.

zeng
post Jan 21 2022, 12:24 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(nrr @ Jan 20 2022, 11:00 PM)
I tried contacting some shop on doing the compression test and leak down test but many don’t even know about it. Some well known shops too so I am surprised this guys are in business with just the regular.

Would appreciate if anyone can suggest me shops that you know of which would do this.
While conducting a cylinder pressure compression test and leak down test is well-intentioned, as a well-meaning makan gaji mechanic (of which I'm not one) I would counter-suggest you to abandon the idea basing on your disclosures thus far.

Even if you're facing a small drop in engine power or pick-up (which you are not), I would then suggest you vroom vroom the car at high engine speed of 4000-5500 rpm periodically (aka Italian tune up) at highway speeds which would surely improve the smoothness of running engine.

As others have suggested, don't touch it (like un-needed top/major overhauls) and only replace 1 or 2 parts as and when the need arises, not so much of what you want to replace.

Keywords: need vs want.

This post has been edited by zeng: Jan 21 2022, 12:26 PM
TSnrr P
post Jan 21 2022, 03:34 PM

Probation
34 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Jan 21 2022, 12:24 PM)
While conducting a cylinder pressure compression test and leak down test is well-intentioned, as a well-meaning makan gaji mechanic (of which I'm not one) I would counter-suggest you to abandon the idea basing on your disclosures thus far.

Even if you're facing a small drop in engine power or pick-up (which you are not), I would then suggest you vroom vroom the car at high engine speed of 4000-5500 rpm periodically (aka Italian tune up) at highway speeds which would surely improve the smoothness of running engine.

As others have suggested, don't touch it (like un-needed top/major overhauls) and only replace 1 or 2 parts as and when the need arises, not so much of what you want to replace.

Keywords: need vs want.
Thank you @zeng for the needed to hear comments. Yes I do have slight leak below the radiator, nothing major as mentioned so I would do the seal change, water pump, timing belt and etc and only change anything required.

You are right spending on things that’s not needed is just gonna make some mechanic happy but when it’s not needed in the first place.

I would like to also ask on what kinda shop should I look for to do some tidying work on my cables, wires, and pipes in the engine bay coz it’s kinda needs some cleanup to change those reput cables and change some wires that’s in bad shape due to the wearing over 20+ years.
kp93300
post Jan 22 2022, 12:51 PM

40 posts

In my experience, quality of workmanship is the most important criteria . You may end up worst off and need to spend more money to redo
zeng
post Jan 22 2022, 01:08 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(nrr @ Jan 21 2022, 03:34 PM)
Yes I do have slight leak below the radiator, nothing major as mentioned so I would do the seal change, water pump, timing belt and etc and only change anything required.

I would like to also ask on what kinda shop should I look for to do some tidying work on my cables, wires, and pipes in the engine bay coz it’s kinda needs some cleanup to change those reput cables and change some wires that’s in bad shape due to the wearing over 20+ years.
Leak below radiator?
Don't play play with coolant leaks as, it correlates with engine overheating compelling one to carry out engine major overhauls.
The consolation with Wira is you have cast iron cylinder head and cylinder block which can tahan against acute dimension distortions arising from engine overheating.
Please remedy coolant leaks, fast, without further delay!!!
Replace coolant (rubber) hoses and coolant (iron) pipes generously especially there are more than 15-20 year old.
Reput cables and wires ? Don't worry too much about this as it won't lead to compulsory engine major overhaul due to overheating. Change the wire as and when it appears bad to you, never ever replace the whole wiring harness as sometimes proposed.

This post has been edited by zeng: Jan 22 2022, 01:08 PM

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0177sec    0.42    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:24 PM