Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> How to make the car quieter?, Change tyre or add sound proofing?

views

TSjackyyong
post Dec 7 2021, 02:43 PM, updated 6 months ago

Casual
422 posts

I have a Vellfire ANH20. I feel it's very noisy, I can hear all sorts of noise from the road, motors zipping beside me, the tyre hitting uneven surfaces on the road. I checked, the tyre is 5 years old, but still has more than 60% thread.

So here's the question, what can I do to reduce the noise coming into the car? For the same price (around RM2k), I can change all 4 new tyres, or I can add sound proofing to the doors and floors.

Which one would be the better solution?

Anybody who did sound proofing can share their insights? Especially if you have done on the Alphard / Vellfire?
TSjackyyong
post Dec 7 2021, 02:46 PM

Casual
422 posts

Forgot to add, current tyre is Bridgestone Regno, 235 / 50 / R18, made in Japan, year of manufacture 2016
nebula87
post Dec 7 2021, 02:47 PM

Fg = mg
1,137 posts

Do sound proofing foam
TSjackyyong
post Dec 7 2021, 02:48 PM

Casual
422 posts

I've done sound proofing foam on my Wira before. Don't feel any difference in terms of noise. Only feel the handling tighter
JZenith
post Dec 7 2021, 02:53 PM

Look at my stars. owai
629 posts

I'm not certain what do you mean by the sound of tyre hitting uneven surface, suspension issue?
5 years old tyre probably the rubber already hard therefore the road noise is very obvious, can try change continental cc tyres, their much more comfortable.
most effective solution i've tried for soundproofing is wheel arch/fender liner area.
door/floor soundproofing does almost nothing, paid so much but no effect on these area.
TSjackyyong
post Dec 7 2021, 03:11 PM

Casual
422 posts

Yes I suspect the 5 year old tyre is most likely the culprit too, maybe it has hardened. Initially I also suspected suspension issue, but checked with foreman, and recently changed steering rack bushing, so that also rules out bushing or control rod / lower arm issues.

Very interesting that you mentioned only the fender area more effective. Because I was quoted very high price on the floor and doors, reaching up to 4 digits RM! But fender treatment only maximum RM300 can kautim!

Most likely I'll try the wheel fender sound proofing first, see if it improves.
metalfire
post Dec 7 2021, 03:16 PM

Enthusiast
886 posts

you can do several things here...

1. autofoam body
2. soundproofing tire walls, undercarriage, doors, etc
3. use quieter tires

too quiet also bad, you still need to have some form of feedback to avoid driving dangerously on roads.

This post has been edited by metalfire: Dec 7 2021, 03:18 PM
littlefire
post Dec 7 2021, 03:18 PM

Regular
1,383 posts

QUOTE(JZenith @ Dec 7 2021, 03:53 PM)
I'm not certain what do you mean by the sound of tyre hitting uneven surface, suspension issue?
5 years old tyre probably the rubber already hard therefore the road noise is very obvious, can try change continental cc tyres, their much more comfortable.
most effective solution i've tried for soundproofing is wheel arch/fender liner area.
door/floor soundproofing does almost nothing, paid so much but no effect on these area.
Door/Floor soundproofing mostly related to ICE as most accessories shop once upgrade the speakers or add in woofer would like to minimize so call echo or vibration noise to improve the sound quality. If want to reduce the road noise, wheel arch/fender. Adding soundproofing on engine firewall insulation also a good place to reduce most of the engine noise bay intrusion if the shop can help do it.

This post has been edited by littlefire: Dec 7 2021, 03:21 PM
Daylight_walker
post Dec 7 2021, 04:28 PM

Getting Started
90 posts

i do read up many article about the same topic as u, many recommend on sound proof door and floor. some say to spray some sort of rubber paint alike to inner side between tyre and engine because all the sound between tyre or road directly come from there, it seem like a effective way to reduce noise, but then u need to respray again after 2-3 months. another 1 is to sound proof the whole engine wall which engine noise contribute the most.
abubin
post Dec 7 2021, 05:21 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,296 posts

QUOTE(Daylight_walker @ Dec 7 2021, 04:28 PM)
i do read up many article about the same topic as u, many recommend on sound proof door and floor. some say to spray some sort of rubber paint alike to inner side between tyre and engine because all the sound between tyre or road directly come from there, it seem like a effective way to reduce noise, but then u need to respray again after 2-3 months. another 1 is to sound proof the whole engine wall which engine noise contribute the most.
Where you read it says need to respray after 2-3 months? That spray is permanent and should last many years. Nobody have time to respray them every few months. That is just plain trying to make more money from user. I DIY my wheel fender by spraying the rubber paint and then installing soundproof on the fender liner (daun pisang). Noise becomes less "punchy" if you know what I mean. I still need to change the tyre as that is the main contributor to the noise.
TSjackyyong
post Dec 7 2021, 05:54 PM

Casual
422 posts

QUOTE(abubin @ Dec 7 2021, 05:21 PM)
Where you read it says need to respray after 2-3 months? That spray is permanent and should last many years. Nobody have time to respray them every few months. That is just plain trying to make more money from user. I DIY my wheel fender by spraying the rubber paint and then installing soundproof on the fender liner (daun pisang). Noise becomes less "punchy" if you know what I mean. I still need to change the tyre as that is the main contributor to the noise.
Wahhhh UnkerTech punya DIY video very informative! Just what I was looking for!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os7p5pWIdZI

I hope I can paste your video here. If cannot I will remove it.

BTW what material did you use for the sound proofing and where did you buy them? Interested to DIY myself too!
ktek
post Dec 7 2021, 06:07 PM

워터파크
All Stars
11,091 posts

what tyre u buying 500 each
TSjackyyong
post Dec 7 2021, 06:17 PM

Casual
422 posts

QUOTE(ktek @ Dec 7 2021, 06:07 PM)
what tyre u buying 500 each
If you read carefully, my tyre size is 235/50R18.

Cheapest RM450, goes up to RM600++. Don't talk about China tyres lar okay
ktek
post Dec 7 2021, 06:27 PM

워터파크
All Stars
11,091 posts

can spend 600 there will be nice ady.
i wonder ur window glass is acoustic type?
cawan
post Dec 7 2021, 07:04 PM

Getting Started
263 posts

When someone suggest add foam to chassis, not it will add more weight, fuel consumption? Like 10kg? Not?
DM52
post Dec 7 2021, 07:07 PM

Getting Started
299 posts

I shock read u had 5 years old tyre and still got 60% threads.

I had 5 years old tyre before and its already hardened and bring a rolling resistance noise.

btw, car noisy is very subjected. its due to so many things. the noise come from wind or engine or gearbox or from surrounding like motobodo nearest ur car.

if u drive a bit fast, it is very standard to have wind noise at high speed. even conti I see, start become noisy once reach 180kmh.

can soundproof or autofoam or use touring tyre or drive slow. all contribute to less noisy.
LarryPizzaGuy
post Dec 7 2021, 07:08 PM

/k 20k Club (Verified)
863 posts

1. Change tire > Consider Michelin Primacy 4 ST
2. Sound proof the door and engine firewall with sound insulation pads.
3. Better rubber door seals.

Personally I would avoid foaming, its more of a placebo effect (in terms for NVH).
DM52
post Dec 7 2021, 07:10 PM

Getting Started
299 posts

QUOTE(cawan @ Dec 7 2021, 07:04 PM)
When someone suggest add foam to chassis, not it will add more weight, fuel consumption? Like 10kg? Not?
it will definitely increase weight thus will decreaase fc. I read someone soundproof his entire car here. but lazy want to necro old post. and its not cheap too for entire car which make me cancel soundproof my car.lol
The Hunt Begins
post Dec 7 2021, 08:24 PM

Getting Started
57 posts

I have done entire car soundproofing. Car is a Satria Neo. Now in terms of stock NVH its not so bad.

But after soundproofing, oh my, you literally can enjoy on the highway. Idk how to describe it. But it feels... premium. As if proton made an "exclusive" version of my car.

One time I put a JBL Charge 4 speaker into my car with MAX VOLUME on and closed the door. Guess what? I didn't even hear anything. Nothing. No sound leakage nothing. Mind you, JBL Charge 4 is enough to fill a small living room. Now translate these results to your car.
Eternalgl0ry
post Dec 8 2021, 08:55 AM

Casual
400 posts

Just go autofoam

The uncle there should be one of the best soundproofing in malaysia

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0220sec    0.46    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th May 2022 - 01:56 PM