Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Apple will soon let you pass on your iCloud data, when you die

views

TSdaisiesdontdoit92
post Nov 17 2021, 02:49 AM, updated 3y ago

On my way
574 posts

Have you thought about passing on your iCloud data/Facebook/Google account if you die? Who will you pass it on to?

[QUOTE]
A new program coming to iPhones, iPads and Macs, Digital Legacy allows you to choose five Legacy Contacts who can see your stuff.

Apple is solving a complicated problem with its latest iOS update: right of survivorship. Until now, when a loved one or family member dies, there was no easy way to access their iCloud account and absolutely no way of unlocking their phone without knowing their passcode. According to the iCloud terms of service, the deceased person’s data goes with them even with a death certificate.

With the new Digital Legacy program, first announced at WWDC earlier this year and arriving in iOS 15.2, you can designate up to five people as Legacy Contacts. These individuals can then access your data and personal information stored in iCloud when you die, such as photos, documents, and even purchases.

To activate Digital Legacy, Apple still requires proof of death and an access key. Still, it’s a much more simplified process than before, which could require a court order confirming a right to inheritance, and even then, there was no guarantee you would get access to the data.

This has been a complicated situation for Apple, which has long touted its core principles of protecting users’ privacy. Grieving parents and spouses railing against the company for not giving them access to their spouses’ photos isn’t a good look. But neither is doling out people’s data willy-nilly.

Both Google and Facebook have systems in place for designating account access to other people, and it’s good to see Apple catching up here.

user posted image

How to set up a Legacy Contact

(note you need to be running iOS 15.2 to access this feature)

On an iOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > Password & Security.
On a Mac, go to System Preferences > Apple ID > Password & Security.
Under Legacy Contact, follow the instructions to add a Legacy Contact. If you use Family Sharing, you can choose a family member from the list; alternatively, add someone using their email or phone number.
Notify your Legacy Contact and share an access key via Messages. If they accept, a copy of the access key is automatically stored in their Apple ID settings. If they decline, you will receive a notification. The access key is required to get into your account if you pass away.
While you can add a Legacy Contact who isn’t on iOS 15.2, they won’t be able to store the access key in the settings on their device, so you should provide it to them in another way.

Legacy Contact is part of the Digital Legacy program and is available now in the public beta version of iOS 15.2 for iPhone. It will be broadly accessible when iOS 15.2 fully launches. Apple hasn’t said which version of macOS will support the feature.[QUOTE]

https://www.theverge.com/2021/11/10/2277487...15-iphones-macs

This post has been edited by daisiesdontdoit92: Nov 17 2021, 03:14 AM
wanna be hi-tech
post Jan 5 2022, 07:08 PM

Any self respecting GEEK, certainly owns more than a single rig
1,598 posts

TLDR. Short storey pls
quebix
post Mar 12 2022, 10:18 AM

Gelato Director
1,180 posts

QUOTE(wanna be hi-tech @ Jan 5 2022, 07:08 PM)
TLDR. Short storey pls
if u die, then the person u put in Legacy contact can access ur iphone data/icloud data.

photos, passwords etc.

wanna be hi-tech
post Mar 12 2022, 10:30 PM

Any self respecting GEEK, certainly owns more than a single rig
1,598 posts

QUOTE(quebix @ Mar 12 2022, 10:18 AM)
if u die, then the person u put in Legacy contact can access ur iphone data/icloud data.

photos, passwords etc.
Ohw ! Its good then ! I had a situation where sm1 died in an accident and his family was trying to recover data from his ipong, which never got through.

But i guess it defeats the purpose in a way !
ZzZzz...
post Mar 14 2022, 07:48 AM

Art of Sleeping
1,773 posts

but but but, how apple define someone pass away
quebix
post Mar 14 2022, 08:57 AM

Gelato Director
1,180 posts

QUOTE(wanna be hi-tech @ Mar 12 2022, 10:30 PM)
Ohw ! Its good then ! I had a situation where sm1 died in an accident and his family was trying to recover data from his ipong, which never got through.

But i guess it defeats the purpose in a way !
well it depends.

what if you dont want to pass on those data/access? then dont put anyone under Legacy contact.
if you want, then you can put someone.
i put my wife and my sister as my Legacy contact.

so it doesnt defeat the purpose. purpose is well served.

SUSWahlberg
post Apr 29 2022, 03:22 PM

Getting Started
144 posts

This kinda ok i think... digital footprint is also like a history log now adays

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0135sec    0.27    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:45 PM