12 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

The NOT good things about Win 11 here

views

TSnetmatrix
post Oct 24 2021, 01:11 PM, updated 2y ago

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

I just clean installed Win 11 in my non TPM hardware. Just in a few hours i found a few things not good about it.

- Speed. While it almost seems not much different from Win 10. However there seems to be mysterious unresponsive lag issues from time to time. I do not know if this is because of that TPM or not. But Core i5-4460 with 8GB ram & SSD is not a slouch either for most regular use.

- Biggest beef. CUT and PASTE. They are now tiny icons. whats the problem of having them shown as WORDS in context menu?

- Anyone managed to default an app like Chrome easily? Maybe there would be a patch by Google to solve that problem. But at this moment, its another dirty move.

- Why New interface network adapter settings is not mirrored in old network adapter settings? Like if you add in new DNS in new interface, it cannot be seen in old interface. But it still works. hmm.gif

- Supposedly new Widgets need MS account to use. Unlike live tiles that we could see the preview without account. This is apparent in MS News.

- Volume control requires you to click speaker icon move mouse to slider bar to adjust. And you cannot see the volume number anymore. dry.gif Win 10 time, click once use mouse scroll to adjust and you can see the volume number.

- I also noticed that they are already readying AD SPACES inside the settings page. As of now i have Office 365 being suggested in it. Does not mean that there would not be other ads being added inside. Last time If you install win 10 there would be random programs (that are not installed) inside that you cannot remove unless you install and remove in the all apps bar. You could turn off the suggested apps feature. Yes i know about suggested apps. This has no relation to pre suggested apps that is available in MS products library.

There are a few more inconveniences that makes this a RELEARNING the process again. To the average user that only uses their own apps and not needing to configure or set up anything at all, its not a problem. To the people that has to deal with manually adjusting everything in easy to reach location like control panel how have to dig deep and wide to find where everything went or renamed.

This post has been edited by netmatrix: Oct 24 2021, 01:18 PM
laksamana
post Oct 24 2021, 01:28 PM

Regular
1,278 posts

Had my 2 laptops upgraded to W11 (not clean installed, but so far no issues), and I would tend to agree with your general assessment

Speed-wise it seems a bit better than W10 (esp on my 10th gen), but overall I feel it's mainly cosmetic changes over W10 with not much of a significant advantage
lawrencesha
post Oct 24 2021, 01:28 PM

Enthusiast
858 posts

Wait for Win12 then...
TSnetmatrix
post Oct 24 2021, 01:34 PM

6,491 posts

QUOTE(lawrencesha @ Oct 24 2021, 01:28 PM)
Wait for Win12 then...
I am not suggesting to wait. But a place to compile the complaints about it. MS has been promoting this as PRODUCTIVITY focused improvement. For who actually? rclxub.gif I am very sure a lot of tech support people are screaming their heads off and making scripts to simplify their most used process. rolleyes.gif

The latest updates in Windows 10 since 2 months ago effectively killed all peer to peer printer sharing. I am sure all Panasonic KX1121 users are grunting. I am also sure the Epson dot matrix users are grunting too. You can't even imaging the amount of rollbacks and hidden updates needed to be done to solve the issues like printing. Not valid for networked printers though.

This post has been edited by netmatrix: Oct 24 2021, 01:36 PM
xxboxx
post Oct 24 2021, 02:09 PM

The mind is for having ideas, not holding them
5,093 posts

- Volume control requires you to click speaker icon move mouse to slider bar to adjust. And you cannot see the volume number anymore. dry.gif  Win 10 time, click once use mouse scroll to adjust and you can see the volume number.

I hover my mouse on volume icon, it show the volume %. When I drag volume slider, it show the number.
MS going to make volume adjust using scroll wheel.
user posted image
https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/10/18/wi...e-from-taskbar/

The copy/paste icon, I feel it's not big enough, hard to make out what the icon represent. Maybe after more time will get more used to it.

Right click menu I feel come out a bit slow than Win 10, this makes it feel laggy. I think it's intentional to make some time for animation.

I don't use widget so doesn't care for it. But it waste an important function with touch screen. Swipe from left side of screen used to be for task switcher which is very intuitive, now they change that gesture for widget. bangwall.gif
PJng
post Oct 24 2021, 02:32 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,531 posts

QUOTE(PJng @ Sep 15 2021 12:54 PM)

QUOTE(PJng @ Oct 6 2021 11:54 PM)
Get back old context menu on windows 11

https://www.howtogeek.com/759449/how-to-get...-file-explorer/

Will admin create a new section for windows 11?
Repost from win 11 thread
TSnetmatrix
post Oct 24 2021, 03:14 PM

6,491 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Oct 24 2021, 02:09 PM)
I hover my mouse on volume icon, it show the volume %. When I drag volume slider, it show the number.
user posted image

The copy/paste icon, I feel it's not big enough, hard to make out what the icon represent. Maybe after more time will get more used to it.

Right click menu I feel come out a bit slow than Win 10, this makes it feel laggy. I think it's intentional to make some time for animation.

I don't use widget so doesn't care for it. But it waste an important function with touch screen. Swipe from left side of screen used to be for task switcher which is very intuitive, now they change that gesture for widget. bangwall.gif
This exact feature was working when i was on Win 10. But it cannot anymore on Win 11. I do not know if it is driver problem or desktop vs surface (product specific) feature. But definitely a big problem when viewing *ahem* content. laugh.gif laugh.gif
PJng
post Oct 25 2021, 10:17 AM

10k Club
All Stars
10,531 posts

QUOTE(Jadehow @ Oct 24 2021, 10:40 PM)
Looks like better wait for win11 sp1.
There is not more SP1, SP2
TSnetmatrix
post Oct 25 2021, 10:59 AM

6,491 posts

Today found 2 more problems. The scroll bars slimmer. Making point, click and drag more difficult. It isn't a problem if you have scrolling wheels mouse. But If i set the scroll to 1 row, it will be useless in web where i need 3 rows scroll.

Also in whatsapp. You can't drop files from File explorer to Whatsapp in Taskbar anymore. You have to snap the windows in place opened to do that. WHY?!?!?!? 😣

Its starting to be UNPRODUCTIVE!!!

This post has been edited by netmatrix: Oct 25 2021, 11:02 AM
PJng
post Oct 25 2021, 02:59 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,531 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Oct 25 2021, 10:59 AM)
Today found 2 more problems. The scroll bars slimmer. Making point, click and drag more difficult. It isn't a problem if you have scrolling wheels mouse. But If i set the scroll to 1 row, it will be useless in web where i need 3 rows scroll.

Also in whatsapp. You can't drop files from File explorer to Whatsapp in Taskbar anymore. You have to snap the windows in place opened to do that. WHY?!?!?!? 😣

Its starting to be UNPRODUCTIVE!!!
https://www.howtogeek.com/761064/5-ways-the...an-windows-10s/

Many backward on taskbar, even windows XP got more option that 11
Andrewtst
post Oct 25 2021, 05:00 PM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

My only complain in Windows 11
- The Taskbar too simplified. Cannot drag and drop to Taskbar, cannot move Taskbar to others location other than bottom and also cannot resize the Taskbar.
- Setup default apps is nightmare. Current method is like forcing people use Microsoft preinstalled apps as default.

I am ok with following
- Prefer the cut, paste, rename show as icon, also I much prefer the new context menu as it is no longer bloat with many after install more apps.
- I did not bother with volume control as my keyboard came with scroll wheel to control the volume. Beside this I also set my mouse with custom button for volume control up and down.

Performance
- Actually Windows 11 running much faster and smoother than Windows 10 if your CPU is meet the requirement.
- Any CPU that is more than 6 years old is highly suggest not use for Windows 11. Microsoft is set not older than 4 years old.

This post has been edited by Andrewtst: Oct 25 2021, 05:09 PM
SUSlife5tyle
post Oct 26 2021, 08:34 AM

Getting Started
277 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Oct 24 2021, 01:11 PM)
- Speed. While it almost seems not much different from Win 10. However there seems to be mysterious unresponsive lag issues from time to time. I do not know if this is because of that TPM or not. But Core i5-4460 with 8GB ram & SSD is not a slouch either for most regular use.

- Supposedly new Widgets need MS account to use. Unlike live tiles that we could see the preview without account. This is apparent in MS News.
Performance wise it seem slower a bit on older processor. My old Windows 7 laptop after upgrade to Windows 10, it was slower. But my desktop from Windows 10 clean installation to Windows 11, it run faster. Expected coz newer software required more processing power even they simplify some of the process in the operating process due to old processor performance cannot cope with the new software requirement for optimum performance.

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Oct 24 2021, 01:34 PM)
The latest updates in Windows 10 since 2 months ago effectively killed all peer to peer printer sharing. I am sure all Panasonic KX1121 users are grunting. I am also sure the Epson dot matrix users are grunting too. You can't even imaging the amount of rollbacks and hidden updates needed to be done to solve the issues like printing. Not valid for networked printers though.
Your Panasonic KX-1121 was old one with parallel/series port? Well, my company was still using that printer and it is connected to Windows 10 64-bit desktop and so far they never complaint got issue.

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Oct 24 2021, 02:09 PM)
user posted image
Not experiencing what u experiencing there with the volume.

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Oct 25 2021, 10:59 AM)
Again, I didn't have those problem with scroll bars.
xxboxx
post Oct 26 2021, 12:24 PM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(life5tyle @ Oct 26 2021, 08:34 AM)
Not experiencing what u experiencing there with the volume.
Only released for Insider. Haven't come out to Stable.
SUSlife5tyle
post Oct 26 2021, 01:38 PM

Getting Started
277 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Oct 26 2021, 12:24 PM)
Only released for Insider. Haven't come out to Stable.
You can upgrade to the official release version now. No longer need to use the Preview version.
xxboxx
post Oct 26 2021, 05:07 PM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(life5tyle @ Oct 26 2021, 01:38 PM)
You can upgrade to the official release version now. No longer need to use the Preview version.
Didn't understand what you mean. Insider and Stable release cater for different usage.
TruboXL
post Oct 26 2021, 08:36 PM

Over 900 useless posts
984 posts

QUOTE(lawrencesha @ Oct 24 2021, 01:28 PM)
Wait for Win12 then...
Guess we will see that in 2027 based on the timeline
sp6068
post Oct 26 2021, 08:58 PM

Lights Out and Away We Go!
1,604 posts

Taskbar customization has been eliminated in W11. You add like a battery bar to it. And you can no longer choose the option to ungroup multiple windows icon on the taskbar (which is a big deal to me).
SUSlife5tyle
post Oct 27 2021, 07:26 AM

Getting Started
277 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Oct 26 2021, 05:07 PM)
Didn't understand what you mean. Insider and Stable release cater for different usage.
Sorry, I should say evaluation version. My mistake.
lawrencesha
post Oct 27 2021, 08:57 AM

Enthusiast
858 posts

QUOTE(sp6068 @ Oct 26 2021, 08:58 PM)
Taskbar customization has been eliminated in W11. You add like a battery bar to it.  And you can no longer choose the option to ungroup multiple windows icon on the taskbar (which is a big deal to me).
yeah.. I miss that ability to customize my taskbar... since I uses dual screen, this is important to me.
kimpetras2 P
post Oct 27 2021, 09:53 PM

Probation
30 posts

Seems lightweight.... downloaded it today, just issue with sound bar not showing up.

12 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0258sec    0.35    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:39 PM