Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Wardrobe Door Type Suggestion, Hinge vs Sliding vs Bifold

views

TSGX9900g
post Oct 23 2021, 10:21 PM, updated 3y ago

Getting Started
77 posts

Hello. Any sifu(s) here can briefly describe your choice of door for wardrobe and why? Pro and con for the choice of doors? What about the durability? Thank you.
thefryingfox
post Oct 23 2021, 10:38 PM

Lonely Maharajah
5,165 posts

Sliding for simplicity and convinience
TSGX9900g
post Oct 23 2021, 11:47 PM

Getting Started
77 posts

QUOTE(thefryingfox @ Oct 23 2021, 10:38 PM)
Sliding for simplicity and convinience
Yes, that what I found and actually quite fond of it but am concern on the maintenance and durability part. Some said it will no able to close tightly after few years and the sliding door will be less smooth after a few years. Scare have to do lots of maintenance only.
thefryingfox
post Oct 23 2021, 11:55 PM

Lonely Maharajah
5,165 posts

QUOTE(GX9900g @ Oct 23 2021, 11:47 PM)
Yes, that what I found and actually quite fond of it but am concern on the maintenance and durability part. Some said it will no able to close tightly after few years and the sliding door will be less smooth after a few years. Scare have to do lots of maintenance only.
No maintenance so far 6 years using mine

Just need to make sure you clean the rails from dust and debris
mini orchard
post Oct 24 2021, 06:05 AM

10k Club
All Stars
13,913 posts

QUOTE(GX9900g @ Oct 23 2021, 11:47 PM)
The only maintenance for sliding door is the wear and tear of the rollers similar to any sliding mechamism ... windows, doors, grilles etc.

The good about sliding doors for wardrobe is the flexibility to remove the doors without unscrewing any hinges.

If you are a neat person who always arrange things, the doors are not necessary .... 'open concept'....and is cheaper. My Pax series from Ikea are without doors.

The 'bad' about sliding door ...... can only use one side at any one time .... which directly causes the wear and tear of the rollers.

The reason why sliding doors cannot close completely is because of the uneven floor level. This should be corrected during the the installation where the skill of the installer is important. It can also happen the hinge doors.

This post has been edited by mini orchard: Oct 24 2021, 10:10 AM
TSGX9900g
post Oct 24 2021, 01:23 PM

Getting Started
77 posts

QUOTE(thefryingfox @ Oct 23 2021, 11:55 PM)
No maintenance so far 6 years using mine
Just need to make sure you clean the rails from dust and debris
Okay, thanks for the maintanence tips
TSGX9900g
post Oct 24 2021, 01:26 PM

Getting Started
77 posts

QUOTE(mini orchard @ Oct 24 2021, 06:05 AM)
The only maintenance for sliding door is the wear and tear of the rollers similar to any sliding mechamism ... windows, doors, grilles etc.

The good about sliding doors for wardrobe is the flexibility to remove the doors without unscrewing any hinges.

If you are a neat person who always arrange things, the doors are not necessary .... 'open concept'....and is cheaper. My Pax series from Ikea are without doors.

The 'bad' about sliding door ...... can only use one side at any one time .... which directly causes the wear and tear of the rollers.

The reason why sliding doors cannot close completely is because of the uneven floor level. This should be corrected during the the installation  where the skill of the installer is important. It can also happen the hinge doors.
I see, then most probably I will stick to sliding door. Don't think I am suitable for the open concept sweat.gif . Thanks for the explanation, will be more alert when the installation is being done. biggrin.gif
thefryingfox
post Oct 24 2021, 01:48 PM

Lonely Maharajah
5,165 posts

QUOTE(GX9900g @ Oct 24 2021, 01:26 PM)
I see, then most probably I will stick to sliding door. Don't think I am suitable for the open concept  sweat.gif . Thanks for the explanation, will be more alert when the installation is being done.  biggrin.gif
One concept like doors sometime have issue...after awhile of opening closing..the hinge will break ( especially modern hinge witb plastic innards). Then start to senget .....that's why I prefer sliding.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0128sec    0.13    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:00 PM