Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Starter problem

views

TSYeettt P
post Oct 9 2021, 02:41 PM, updated 3y ago

Probation
0 posts

My motorcycle just suddenly couldn't start for some reason in the traffic light.
While at the traffic light, I used my kill switch and then when I want to start my engine all of a sudden it couldn't start. I here some clicks when I use the ignition switch at the back end of my motorcycle but it just couldn't start.
Luckily there was a motorcycle shop nearby, it's currently in shop and they are still trying to figure out the issue. I've ask some of my friends , they said usually it's the starter solenoid issue?
Im not sure but hoping it's nothing worse.

Do you guys have any other thoughts about this? And usually will it be expensive to get this solved, because the shop was just at the road side, really hoping I do not get scammed by them. Thanks
alexei
post Oct 9 2021, 09:55 PM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

QUOTE(Yeettt @ Oct 9 2021, 02:41 PM)
My motorcycle just suddenly couldn't start for some reason in the traffic light.
While at the traffic light, I used my kill switch and then when I want to start my engine all of a sudden it couldn't start. I here some clicks when I use the ignition switch at the back end of my motorcycle but it just couldn't start.
Luckily there was a motorcycle shop nearby, it's currently in shop and they are still trying to figure out the issue. I've ask some of my friends , they said usually it's the starter solenoid issue?
Im not sure but hoping it's nothing worse.

Do you guys have any other thoughts about this? And usually will it be expensive to get this solved,  because the shop was just at the road side, really hoping I do not get scammed by them. Thanks
1. What bike? Is it Kawasaki?
2. What's the voltage of the battery when key is switched off?
3. What's the voltage of the battery when key on, and pressing starter switch?
4. When pressing starter switch, got any sound? Only clicking sound? What happen to dash meter light when clicking sound? Do the lights dim down and up with the clicking sound?

Based on above, can tell if battery, starter relay, or starter solenoid problem? Sorted by most likely, to least likely.
TSYeettt P
post Oct 10 2021, 01:47 AM

Probation
0 posts

QUOTE(alexei @ Oct 9 2021, 09:55 PM)
1. What bike? Is it Kawasaki?
2. What's the voltage of the battery when key is switched off?
3. What's the voltage of the battery when key on, and pressing starter switch?
4. When pressing starter switch,  got any sound? Only clicking sound? What happen to dash meter light when clicking sound? Do the lights dim down and up with the clicking sound?

Based on above, can tell if battery, starter relay, or starter solenoid problem? Sorted by most likely, to least likely.
1. Yamaha r25
2/3. As for voltages I'm not sure, but pretty sure it wasn't the battery problem cuz the shop tried to do something about the battery and still don't work.
4. Yes only click sound, at my dash the engine trouble warning light comes on but only if I click the ignition switch, once I release it the trouble warning light goes off. My bike lights, signal lights all working no problem .
Flyinghighaero
post Oct 10 2021, 03:02 PM

12 posts

QUOTE(Yeettt @ Oct 10 2021, 01:47 AM)
1. Yamaha r25
2/3. As for voltages I'm not sure, but pretty sure it wasn't the battery problem cuz the shop tried to do something about the battery and still don't work.
4. Yes only click sound, at my dash the engine trouble warning light comes on but only if I click the ignition switch, once I release it the trouble warning light goes off. My bike lights, signal lights all working no problem .
If when you push start you hear clicking sound the starter relay is most likely ok. 1st maybe baterry dead. Check voltage of battery. If not its maybe starter motor problem. Check the connection from starter relay to starter motor 1st.
jacktay94
post Oct 11 2021, 10:18 AM

6 stars only? :(
1,333 posts

Might be starter relay too. If the solenoid is clicking, but not fully closed (close circuit=live), then it can be cause.
alexei
post Oct 11 2021, 01:26 PM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

QUOTE(Yeettt @ Oct 10 2021, 01:47 AM)
1. Yamaha r25
What the shop do? Tried to charge it again? If the battery is dead, no point try to charge it.
Did the shop try to use another battery to start the bike?
- not sure if already identified battery issue or not
- still need a multimeter to diagnose a few things

Bikes all need voltage monitor - charging, and battery levels very important. Undercharge, bike will die suddenly while riding when battery cannot power the fuel pump, injector or ECU... overcharge, kill ECU.

#4. with the clicking, which trouble light come up?
- maybe need to read error code, maybe not

Better bring to another shop to check properly.
TSYeettt P
post Oct 11 2021, 03:15 PM

Probation
0 posts

QUOTE(alexei @ Oct 11 2021, 01:26 PM)
What the shop do? Tried to charge it again? If the battery is dead, no point try to charge it.
Did the shop try to use another battery to start the bike?
- not sure if already identified battery issue or not
- still need a multimeter to diagnose a few things

Bikes all need voltage monitor - charging, and battery levels very important. Undercharge, bike will die suddenly while riding when battery cannot power the fuel pump, injector or ECU... overcharge, kill ECU.

#4. with the clicking, which trouble light come up?
- maybe need to read error code, maybe not

Better bring to another shop to check properly.
Yea, I've send my bike to the shop where I bought it from, the previous shop told me the starter jam and wanted to charge me rm650 for it telling me replace the starter, which I think was total BS as my bike was in such a perfect condition before this and I highly doubt that it was the starter problem.

Currently still waiting for an update from the new shop.
alexei
post Oct 11 2021, 04:42 PM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

QUOTE(Yeettt @ Oct 11 2021, 03:15 PM)
Yea, I've send my bike to the shop where I bought it from, the previous shop told me the starter jam and wanted to charge me rm650 for it telling me replace the starter, which I think was total BS as my bike was in such a perfect condition before this and I highly doubt that it was the starter problem.

Currently still waiting for an update from the new shop.
compare to shopee price, seems RM650 a bit high.
Good luck.
TSYeettt P
post Oct 11 2021, 06:44 PM

Probation
0 posts

QUOTE(alexei @ Oct 11 2021, 04:42 PM)
compare to shopee price, seems RM650 a bit high.
Good luck.
Well... luck definitely isn't on my side. Shop just called me and said my starter is missing, they called the previous shop and they ain't freaking answering their phones. So f***king pissed now. This is clearly a nightmare. Can't believe this is happening to me, gonna ask my shop to confirm if my other parts are still original and not being swapped out.
alexei
post Oct 12 2021, 11:27 AM

Biker Mice from Mars
1,709 posts

QUOTE(Yeettt @ Oct 11 2021, 06:44 PM)
Well... luck definitely isn't on my side. Shop just called me and said my starter is missing, they called the previous shop and they ain't freaking answering their phones. So f***king pissed now. This is clearly a nightmare. Can't believe this is happening to me, gonna ask my shop to confirm if my other parts are still original and not being swapped out.
Wow... calm down and pay them a visit. Time is hard for (almost) everybody.
hopefully it can be resolved.

This post has been edited by alexei: Oct 12 2021, 11:27 AM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0140sec    0.23    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:28 PM