Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Parenting in Covid Era, How are you guys coping

views

LordPennDragon
post Oct 11 2021, 03:28 AM

Getting Started
50 posts

QUOTE(bengang14 @ Oct 8 2021, 08:55 AM)
Hi all. I just thought of sharing this. Maybe to encourage others as well as seek some encouragement myself.

Covid has pretty challenging for me as a father. A little background.

My wife and i are still working, thankfully. She works from home and I do field job. 9 years old kid is doing online classes.
Online classes is really an issue for us. My kid can't handle electronic well. He gets very frustrated when things are not going his way, like slow internet, sometimes a little slow in loading or teacher have not provided the slides and he assume it was already loaded. You know those usual stuff when dealign with online classes. Believe me when I tell you that he broke the laptop LCD twice. One a window laptop and another a brand new MacBook.

Apart from breaking these two, he gets really upset to the point of crying when thing doesn't go his way. He is so fixated with the problem that he cannot snap out of it. My wife will need to raise her voice to bring him back.  When he was in physical class such things doesn't happen. At least there complain from teacher.

He now seeing a therapist. Not sure if it helps. My wife is also at her limit. Some time during telco my kid would be barging in and crying and shouting. Just yesterday my wife told me she doesn't know how to communicate with my kid anymore. i can empathatize with her. I mean she is the one facing all these issue while i am at work. Imagine facing this all day long, at night already not in the mood with my kid shenanigans anymore.

so far feedback from teacher is ok. I mean no seriously issues. Sometimes he forget to submit his homework but not to the extend that teacher have to call out his name.

what i can see here is he is really lacking in social queue. interaction with other kids and teacher helps. but now he is really lacking in social manners. My parents are living not too far away. We have our dinner there and my parents comments has been pretty unpleasant. Can see that at times he is "rude". i don't mean rude rude. its more like my kid gets upset easily and that in turn will mess the mood of dinner. I am assuming that when kids see their grandparents too often they tend to slack and that where they can be misconstructed as being rude. I don't know guys. what do you think?

I am thankful that my wife and I are still working. But i really can''t wait for school to be reopen, vaccine or no vaccine.

please tell me my problem is not unique. It really frustrating and i am really worried for my boy.

also how are you guys coping. Hopefully much better than me.
first off, you are not alone in this. Im facing the same issue, surely other parents too. It is really hard for our children to live a normal live these past 2 yrs. Tragic and theres nothing we can do but give them our support and try very hard to understand them. the impact is not only on their education, the children are facing social, emotional and physical challenges that are possibly affecting them in the long run. wish you and your family well, hope things will get better.
LordPennDragon
post Oct 11 2021, 10:48 PM

Getting Started
50 posts

QUOTE(random.heart @ Oct 11 2021, 08:07 PM)
It is not as bad as many perceived. I always see positivity out of everything. WFM or SFH enables parents and children to have more interaction. I am learning more about them and vice versa.
Kudos for seeing things in a positive light. I'm trying hard to be able to keep my head above water these days. Hope i can contain my despair to myself and not be seen by the young ones.
LordPennDragon
post Oct 13 2021, 10:52 PM

Getting Started
50 posts

QUOTE(bengang14 @ Oct 13 2021, 12:25 AM)
well i am already encourage. i know my situation is not as bad as it sounds. i know there are a lot of parents that had it worse. this thread is not just about me but also to all parents out there struggling with this WFH and SFH.

its not easy really. Just the other day the teacher text the parents not withhold christmas present on kids that are slacking in their homework.

this morning my boy was doing his online maths quiz. he took it like a formula one race.  rclxub.gif  rclxub.gif  rclxub.gif  rclxub.gif simply tembak. i have to sit down with him to do the quiz once more.Hopefully its not cheating. lol

i also wonder how much can they learn online. at year 3 he is still learning addition and subtraction.
I was worrying at one point and finally realized that whatever they learn throughout the pandemic, it is what they can managed and life is just too short to be fussing over them for not going ahead and be superb in learning. All that I ask from them is to respect the teachers who are also struggling by attending classes and pay as much attention as possible. Just be present, understand stuff or not, we work it out slowly. So now que sera sera, let the kids be kids and survive the pandemic with a sane mind. console.gif

Whatever they missed surely can catch up sooner or later. Maybe my thoughts and approaches are rubbish, but honestly, these are all I have left and I have nothing else to work on. sad.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0210sec    0.16    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:05 AM