Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Should I buy a Hifiman He400se ? Or M1060,, M1060 vs He400se vs sundara Vs sivga p2

views

TSsonyman
post Oct 7 2021, 07:17 AM, updated 3y ago

Regular
1,039 posts

Hallo.

It's been a long time I didn't play headphone. So I want to get back into this segment.

Can I ask. Is the Hifiman He400se a good buy.

I'm looking to replace my old akg 601 headphones. They are old and suffer from age issues

Will the hi-fi man be able to perform up to this akg 601.

I'm also looking at monolith 1060. Are these better than the hi-fiman? Proce wise monolith is like sundara region.

I'm confused. Can anyone help out here.

Thank you in advance.

This post has been edited by sonyman: Oct 9 2021, 12:37 PM
gobiomani
post Oct 7 2021, 06:58 PM

Casual
466 posts

QUOTE(sonyman @ Oct 7 2021, 07:17 AM)
Hallo. 

It's been a long time I didn't play headphone.  So I want to get back into this segment. 

Can I ask.  Is the Hifiman He400se a good buy.

I'm looking to replace my old akg 601 headphones.  They are old and suffer from age issues

Will the hi-fi man be able to perform up to this akg 601.

I'm also looking at monolith 1060. Are these better than the hi-fiman? Proce wise monolith is like sundara region.

I'm confused.  Can anyone help out here.

Thank you in advance.
I have not tried the HE400SE but I have the HE4XX and HE400i 2020. IMO the HE400SE would be quite similar to what I have and thus is very good value for money. I have not heard AKG601 so cannot comment on how it compares to that. However, if you can afford the Sundara, you should go for that as it appears to be the most highly recommend headphones under USD500 price point.
TSsonyman
post Oct 7 2021, 08:04 PM

Regular
1,039 posts

QUOTE(gobiomani @ Oct 7 2021, 06:58 PM)
I have not tried the HE400SE but I have the HE4XX and HE400i 2020. IMO the HE400SE would be quite similar to what I have and thus is very good value for money. I have not heard AKG601 so cannot comment on how it compares to that. However, if you can afford the Sundara, you should go for that as it appears to be the most highly recommend headphones under USD500 price point.
Thank you so much
xxboxx
post Oct 9 2021, 08:51 AM

The mind is for having ideas, not holding them
5,093 posts

I got M1060 and HE4XX. HE4XX should sound more similar to HE400SE.

HE4XX the sound is more on highs and mids. It's softer on lows. It's a bright signature.
I heard Sundara before, it still bright signature but highs not so ear piercing like HE4XX and have slightly more lows.

M1060 is strong on lows while less on mids and lows. The sound is like when you set hall or stadium effect, the sound have reverb and vocal sounds distance. I don't like how it sound initially. Following the fuzzor mods, I added some felt on the inner side. This makes the sound less reverb and vocal sounds more closer. It still have strong lows. It's my preferred headphone for instrumentals and vocal that is more soft like whisper.
TSsonyman
post Oct 9 2021, 12:34 PM

Regular
1,039 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Oct 9 2021, 08:51 AM)
I got M1060 and HE4XX. HE4XX should sound more similar to HE400SE.

HE4XX the sound is more on highs and mids. It's softer on lows. It's a bright signature.
I heard Sundara before, it still bright signature but highs not so ear piercing like HE4XX and have slightly more lows.

M1060 is strong on lows while less on mids and lows. The sound is like when you set hall or stadium effect, the sound have reverb and vocal sounds distance. I don't like how it sound initially. Following the fuzzor mods, I added some felt on the inner side. This makes the sound less reverb and vocal sounds more closer. It still have strong lows. It's my preferred headphone for instrumentals and vocal that is more soft like whisper.
Thanks bro. I tried the LCD 2 and Sundara and sivga p2 yesterday. All in all I prefer sivga and lcd2. On the hifiman I feel the tonal accuracy is not quite there. Maybe my problem.
But it was a nice experience on the LCD 2.

But did u try to compare lcd2 vs m1060.?
xxboxx
post Oct 9 2021, 02:19 PM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(sonyman @ Oct 9 2021, 12:34 PM)
Thanks bro.  I tried the LCD 2 and Sundara and sivga p2 yesterday. All in all I prefer sivga and lcd2.  On the hifiman I feel the tonal accuracy is not quite there.  Maybe my problem.
But it was a nice experience on the LCD 2.

But did u try to compare lcd2 vs m1060.?
Didn't get chance to try lcd2 yet. How does the lcd2 sound? Does it makes the sound like have hall/stadium effect?

Those that prefer bright sound will like Hifiman. I prefer a bit more on bass so m1060 and hd650 is what I always use.
TSsonyman
post Oct 9 2021, 06:17 PM

Regular
1,039 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Oct 9 2021, 02:19 PM)
Didn't get chance to try lcd2 yet. How does the lcd2 sound? Does it makes the sound like have hall/stadium effect?

Those that prefer bright sound will like Hifiman. I prefer a bit more on bass so m1060 and hd650 is what I always use.
no stadium effect. but its wide. strong bass. and i would say its fantastic. it does impress me but of course at that price i would need to see what other brands could offer.

not too sure. but i dont quite like the sundara. against the sivga and lcd2.

Does the Sundara signature sound like the 4XX?

can i ask?? Do u regret owning the m1060? Or it was your best investment?

What are u using to push the m1060?

This post has been edited by sonyman: Oct 9 2021, 06:30 PM
xxboxx
post Oct 9 2021, 09:04 PM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(sonyman @ Oct 9 2021, 06:17 PM)
no stadium effect. but its wide. strong bass. and i would say its fantastic. it does impress me but of course at that price i would need to see what other brands could offer.
not too sure. but i dont quite like the sundara. against the sivga and lcd2.

Does the Sundara signature sound like the 4XX?

can i ask?? Do u regret owning the m1060? Or it was your best investment?

What are u using to push the m1060?

I feel Sundara signature is similar to HE4XX, just less harsh on the treble and better bass extension.

Far from regret. It's one of my favorite headphone. But this is individual preference. You might prefer different kind of sound than me.
For me I like to listen to sounds that have string, echoes and reverb, like Kent Nishimura acoustic guitar and 2Cellos. M1060 very suitable for this.
If for vocal, especially women voice, I prefer HD650 more than M1060.
I'm using DX3 Pro but this headphone almost anything also can power it.

This 2Cellos new adaptation is the kind of sound I like. Got string, echoes and reverb.

TSsonyman
post Oct 10 2021, 12:55 PM

Regular
1,039 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Oct 9 2021, 09:04 PM)
I feel Sundara signature is similar to HE4XX, just less harsh on the treble and better bass extension.

Far from regret. It's one of my favorite headphone. But this is individual preference. You might prefer different kind of sound than me.
For me I like to listen to sounds that have string, echoes and reverb, like Kent Nishimura acoustic guitar and 2Cellos. M1060 very suitable for this.
If for vocal, especially women voice, I prefer HD650 more than M1060.
I'm using DX3 Pro but this headphone almost anything also can power it.

This 2Cellos new adaptation is the kind of sound I like. Got string, echoes and reverb.

Thank you so much. i understand better now.

So each headphone of different genre and different headphone excel in different genre.

Do you remove the foam? i see its recommended.

do u suffer any quality issues from owning the headphones? is yours the 2nd batch with the proper connector i cant remember what they call it. the improved ones.

What amp are u using to drive the M1060?

Btw can i kindly ask how much did u get your M1060 and from where.

This post has been edited by sonyman: Oct 10 2021, 12:58 PM
xxboxx
post Oct 10 2021, 02:03 PM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(sonyman @ Oct 10 2021, 12:55 PM)
Thank you so much. i understand better now.

So each headphone of different genre and different headphone excel in different genre.

Do you remove the foam? i see its recommended.

do u suffer any quality issues from owning the headphones? is yours the 2nd batch with the proper connector i cant remember what they call it. the improved ones.

What amp are u using to drive the M1060?

Btw can i kindly ask how much did u get your M1060 and from where.
Ya, since some model excel in 1 genre but not other, usually end up with multiple headphones. Plus the space needed is not much unlike speaker.

I tried remove the outside foam. It makes the sound wider and more of the stadium effect but I don't like it so I put it back.
I got the v2 model, with 2.5mm jack on driver. The headband got loose on one side, need to unscrew the bracket and clamp it properly. There's a screw cover on the 2 side of the headband, one of it keep falling off so I superglue it. laugh.gif
Other than that so far no issue.

I use DX3 Pro internal AMP to drive it.

Got it from Amazon, about 1k plus with shipping. You can also check Monoprice US site, they always do offer for some of the headphone. Right now M1060 also on offer for USD260. M1060C is cheaper by USD10, last time it is more expensive. I read before some mod M1060C as open back and feel the sound is better than M1060. M1070 also looks great but more expensive by USD100. Last time I see Monoprice international shipping is expensive, would be better to use forwarder.
TSsonyman
post Oct 10 2021, 02:31 PM

Regular
1,039 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Oct 10 2021, 02:03 PM)
Ya, since some model excel in 1 genre but not other, usually end up with multiple headphones. Plus the space needed is not much unlike speaker.

I tried remove the outside foam. It makes the sound wider and more of the stadium effect but I don't like it so I put it back.
I got the v2 model, with 2.5mm jack on driver. The headband got loose on one side, need to unscrew the bracket and clamp it properly. There's a screw cover on the 2 side of the headband, one of it keep falling off so I superglue it. laugh.gif
Other than that so far no issue.

I use DX3 Pro internal AMP to drive it.

Got it from Amazon, about 1k plus with shipping. You can also check Monoprice US site, they always do offer for some of the headphone. Right now M1060 also on offer for USD260. M1060C is cheaper by USD10, last time it is more expensive. I read before some mod M1060C as open back and feel the sound is better than M1060. M1070 also looks great but more expensive by USD100. Last time I see Monoprice international shipping is expensive, would be better to use forwarder.
ok thanks bro. i think i will get one. Since most of review compares it with a LCD 2. But at a fraction of the price. Probably this first then maybe another different headphones later.

TSsonyman
post Nov 16 2021, 10:20 PM

Regular
1,039 posts

Uodate. Just got my M1060

Man. I can say. It's really something. Bass extension, Sound staging. It's really my Best Buy.

At this price per performance it's really something.
xxboxx
post Nov 17 2021, 07:21 PM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(sonyman @ Nov 16 2021, 10:20 PM)
Uodate.  Just got my M1060

Man.  I can say. It's really something.  Bass extension,  Sound staging.  It's really my Best Buy.

At this price per performance it's really something.
You bought from monoprice website?
Use their international shipping or forwarder? How much total damage?

How the sound like? Does vocal sounds like at a distant?
Still remember LCD2 sound? How compare with M1060?
TSsonyman
post Nov 17 2021, 08:15 PM

Regular
1,039 posts

QUOTE(xxboxx @ Nov 17 2021, 07:21 PM)
You bought from monoprice website?
Use their international shipping or forwarder? How much total damage?

How the sound like? Does vocal sounds like at a distant?
Still remember LCD2 sound? How compare with M1060?
I got it from techx Malaysia he is the official importer for monolith about 1.5 k with free some monolith gift
TSsonyman
post Nov 17 2021, 08:28 PM

Regular
1,039 posts

As for the sound. Didn't regret the decision. Infact i tested lcd2c which everyone is comparing its almost there but i feel the vocal on lcd2c is a bit more lush then again m1060 is not far away.
Bass department this m1060 is really awesome. It does extent all the way down and gives out some low freq vibration just like the lcd2c

High frequency its great. Although sometimes a bit rough but most of the times it's superb.

All in this pair of cans i tested for 2 days i can say hands down to monolith they really made an awesome product with a price which its really so far i tried within Rm1500 Below i would choose this.

My setup fiio x5ii -> monarchy audio dac -> transparent audio rca -> xduoo TA 05 -> m1060

Ps. The vocal is in the middle no distant. But staging is wide but not stadium.
No regrets man. I would recommend this anytime.

This post has been edited by sonyman: Nov 17 2021, 08:30 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0152sec    0.04    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:50 AM