Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Any software project ideas to help communities?

views

TSIdonthaveaname P
post Oct 3 2021, 07:50 PM, updated 3y ago

Probation
8 posts

What are your recommendations about some interesting university software project ideas to solve community issues or to help the communities to achieve a better life?
What are some of the problems or issues facing by the communities right now that a software can more or less help to solve it? I am looking through UN sustainable development goals but can't actually come up with an idea.
This is my first ever software project to be developed, so I don't really know how much can I achieve as a beginner. As this is a 4 months project, I am scared that I don't have sufficient time to learn and develop a working application from scratch. University only teach programming syntax but never teach how to develop a software using those existing frameworks and APIs.
However, it would be better if the software could integrate some AI models as I am majoring in AI.

Thank you for any recommendations.
smile.gif
SUSjbcoder
post Oct 3 2021, 08:24 PM

Enthusiast
783 posts

Animal rescue community.

App to inform of where animals that need rescue, for anyone in that area.

Sorry, I only care about animals.
dylan_chng
post Oct 3 2021, 08:26 PM

On my way
659 posts

This is 1 one of my projects - http://tempatmakanan.com/

It attempts to allow the finding of food we want faster. e.g. chicken rice.

This is actually version 2 of my idea. Functionalities limited due to being built off Wordpress. Version 1 was my diploma FYP and can be seen here: https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/5073099.

In version 1, my group implemented image processing to detect the billboard which was then passed onto OCR to check if the picture being uploaded was a restaurant store front.

For you, can consider implementing an AI chat bot.

WongGei
post Oct 3 2021, 10:35 PM

Regular
1,206 posts

QUOTE(Idonthaveaname @ Oct 3 2021, 07:50 PM)
What are your recommendations about some interesting university software project ideas to solve community issues or to help the communities to achieve a better life?
What are some of the problems or issues facing by the communities right now that a software can more or less help to solve it? I am looking through UN sustainable development goals but can't actually come up with an idea.
This is my first ever software project to be developed, so I don't really know how much can I achieve as a beginner. As this is a 4 months project, I am scared that I don't have sufficient time to learn and develop a working application from scratch. University only teach programming syntax but never teach how to develop a software using those existing frameworks and APIs.
However, it would be better if the software could integrate some AI models as I am majoring in AI.

smile.gif
May I know what languages you learn from the class?
FlierMate
post Oct 4 2021, 03:23 PM

On my way
Validating
543 posts

I don't know if there is such system in the market.

I suggest a medical visit appointment system , for nursing homes and the elderly.

This medical visit appointment system also consists of alarm reminder, so that it can tells: when is the next appointment date.

The issue is, without integration with hospitals healthcare system, this custom appointment system cannot be automatic, which means must set the next appointment date manually.

Maybe it is as simple as reminder app for the elderly, but for a old folks home or nursing home, with large number of patients, it is crucial to know (1) who, (2) when, (3) where (xxx hospital's xxx clinic).
The type of reminder can be as simple as (1) collect meds, (2) injection, (3) medical check-up, (4) medical visit, (5) ward discharge..... to name a few.

I have seen a principal of nursing home uses manual system, which means he marks down the event on calendar, and write on whiteboard.

It is best if can be implemented as mobile app, so that it can be installed on the phone of principal or person in charge of a welfare home.

BTW, it is good to have this kind of project for the communities.

TSIdonthaveaname P
post Oct 5 2021, 01:16 AM

Probation
8 posts

QUOTE(WongGei @ Oct 3 2021, 10:35 PM)
May I know what languages you learn from the class?
C++, Java, Python, HTML, CSS, Javascript.
TSIdonthaveaname P
post Oct 5 2021, 01:18 AM

Probation
8 posts

QUOTE(Idonthaveaname @ Oct 5 2021, 01:16 AM)
C++, Java, Python, HTML, CSS, Javascript.
and PHP
Lord Tiki Mick
post Oct 7 2021, 01:53 PM

Regular
1,018 posts

I have a side project, but not really helping the community. It's a maven pom command line editor. I'm not sure what to name it. The repo is called mq.
WongGei
post Oct 7 2021, 02:13 PM

Regular
1,206 posts

When you talk about helping the community, covid-19 is the first one that's comes out from my and many minds. You can take a look at Mysejatera or https://covidnow.moh.gov.my/ webiste, see what kind of data you can used and what kind of function you might need and crate your own program. Another idea is queuing system. Its not something new, just a normal booking system to go into the restaurant or book a class in the U deal to space limitation. But one can use the mysejatera to do pre-book or cert checking to reduce human checking the vaccination cert.....

This post has been edited by WongGei: Oct 7 2021, 02:18 PM
ragk
post Oct 7 2021, 02:16 PM

BooBoo~
2,265 posts

QUOTE(dylan_chng @ Oct 3 2021, 08:26 PM)
This is 1 one of my projects - http://tempatmakanan.com/

It attempts to allow the finding of food we want faster. e.g. chicken rice.

This is actually version 2 of my idea. Functionalities limited due to being built off Wordpress. Version 1 was my diploma FYP and can be seen here: https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/5073099.

In version 1, my group implemented image processing to detect the billboard which was then passed onto OCR to check if the picture being uploaded was a restaurant store front.

For you, can consider implementing an AI chat bot.
I got 1 suggestion, let user add a list of restaurant, and thn lucky draw. We did this to solve our "lunch eat what later" global issue in my ex-company XD

This post has been edited by ragk: Oct 7 2021, 02:16 PM
silverhawk
post Oct 8 2021, 05:02 PM

I'm Positively Lustrous
Group Icon
Elite
4,738 posts

QUOTE(ragk @ Oct 7 2021, 02:16 PM)
I got 1 suggestion, let user add a list of restaurant, and thn lucky draw. We did this to solve our "lunch eat what later" global issue in my ex-company XD
I tried to do with my wife, kena diao upside down laugh.gif
bumpo
post Oct 8 2021, 05:54 PM

On my way
632 posts

something for community.. hmm..
how about shared food delivery?
if few neighbor so happens order from same restaurant, then instead of individual deliveries with individual delivery charges, it will be single delivery and single delivery charges

kinda a spin off from overseas import via container
FlierMate
post Oct 11 2021, 11:29 PM

On my way
Validating
543 posts

QUOTE(Lord Tiki Mick @ Oct 7 2021, 01:53 PM)
I have a side project, but not really helping the community. It's a maven pom command line editor. I'm not sure what to name it. The repo is called mq.
Is this and***** / mq it?

Lord Tiki Mick
post Oct 12 2021, 02:29 PM

Regular
1,018 posts

QUOTE(FlierMate @ Oct 11 2021, 11:29 PM)
Is this  and***** / mq it?
Whoa, cool. You found it!

At first I simply wants to have a command line maven search tool, then ended up extending it to manipulate pom files. laugh.gif
zemega
post Oct 12 2021, 02:36 PM

On my way
698 posts

Codification of Malaysian laws. Sort of make Github repository for the whole laws in Malaysia.

So that people can make educated guess on whether they are breaking laws or not. Obviously you can't rely on police, as they are subjective in carrying out the laws.

For example, take a case study. It has keywords. Enter the keywords, and the project will return relevant laws regarding the keywords.

Bonus if the project can return legal proceeding like precedent and such.

At the very least, reduce the dependency on lawyers. Or can simply check whether a lawyer is conning you or not.
chooyang
post Oct 18 2021, 10:49 AM

Getting Started
223 posts

[quote=Idonthaveaname,Oct 3 2021, 07:50 PM]

smile.gif

[/quot

Is good if you have learning abt hardware + software, because I am looking university student to come out a very simple digital hardware prototype + simple function + hardcode to proof the idea. Can take it as final year project if willing and I bear the necessary cost. smile.gif

Back to your question, rgd community issues,
I have do some plan before, but no starting for some reason.
Is about "alert" system tht can alert community abt what happen nearby, what need to pay attention, any criminal case, any new things / events happen nearby, and other... Can target gate and guard area, or specific area like all resident in putrajaya, all resident nearby cyberjaya. u can implement AI as you mention.
FlierMate
post Oct 19 2021, 12:50 PM

On my way
Validating
543 posts

QUOTE(Lord Tiki Mick @ Oct 12 2021, 02:29 PM)
Whoa, cool. You found it!
Your C programming skill is good, I mean your the other project.

QUOTE(chooyang @ Oct 18 2021, 10:49 AM)
Is good if you have learning abt hardware + software, because I am looking university student to come out a very simple digital hardware prototype + simple function + hardcode to proof the idea. Can take it as final year project .....
I think it is fascinating to work with hardware + software project.

Wonder if student nowadays create simple circuit board by dipping in acid after drawing circuit using permanent marker pen?

It brings back memory, my first year project was a LED controller using parellel port interfacing, and my last year project was an anti-gravity pad but had never done it, too much Sci-Fi book at the time.
flashang
post Oct 19 2021, 05:04 PM

Casual
341 posts

QUOTE(FlierMate @ Oct 19 2021, 12:50 PM)
I think it is fascinating to work with hardware + software project.

Wonder if student nowadays create simple circuit board by dipping in acid after drawing circuit using permanent marker pen?

It brings back memory, my first year project was a LED controller using parellel port interfacing, and my last year project was an anti-gravity pad but had never done it, too much Sci-Fi book at the time.
I think most people using breadboard for "test module" / proof of concept.
then using marker pen drawing circuit for "prototype", which can take around and run a lot of demo.
For printed pcb if want to make a lot, or "release candidate" / "stable release"

smile.gif

Lord Tiki Mick
post Oct 20 2021, 10:51 PM

Regular
1,018 posts

QUOTE(FlierMate @ Oct 19 2021, 12:50 PM)
Thanks. That one is my masterpiece, but I don't use it myself. laugh.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0160sec    0.21    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:07 PM