Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

IPTV in Malaysia

views

TSyenchenje
post Sep 23 2021, 09:48 PM, updated 3y ago

Enthusiast
728 posts

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at Malaysia's TV info recently and have found out that Unifi no longer provides STB Boxes and the new Unifi Plus boxes only uses the PlayUnifi app(Which I only can assume is OTT based), and not using a dedicated port on routers/switches anymore to use multicast as sources. But is multicast still technically provided by Unifi/Astro? I'm more curious about Unifi's current IPTV implementation and if using multicast directly is still possible. (udp://239.192.100.1 - udp://239.192.100.255 etc etc) I'm not concerned about Astro as their satellite channels can be watched easily with specific hardware without official Astro STBs whistling.gif . As for why not just go for OTT, I'm a quality over quantity snob (I prefer to wait for highest fidelity and not watch low quality streams with issues such as delays, bad encoding, blurry, laggy streams as most streams are just HDMI captures downmixed to fit webstreams), which comes the question, can I just get old Unifi STBs from second hand marketplaces like Carousell/Facebook Marketplace and let TM bind the STB's MAC to my current Unifi account (Subscribing to Unifi package, or if there's no need to and I can just force my NAS to subscribe to a multicast address and watch the streams) and have access to multicast streams again. (Yes I am aware Conditional Access exists but any channels that doesn't have CA is just another great addition to my own Tvheadend box)
noobz4ever
post Sep 23 2021, 09:58 PM

Getting Started
290 posts

"can I just get old Unifi STBs from second hand marketplaces like Carousell/Facebook Marketplace and let TM bind the STB's MAC to my current Unifi account"
Yes

This post has been edited by noobz4ever: Sep 23 2021, 09:59 PM
linkinstreet
post Sep 24 2021, 07:14 AM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
9,215 posts

QUOTE(yenchenje @ Sep 23 2021, 09:48 PM)
Hi everyone,

I've been looking at Malaysia's TV info recently and have found out that Unifi no longer provides STB Boxes and the new Unifi Plus boxes only uses the PlayUnifi app(Which I only can assume is OTT based), and not using a dedicated port on routers/switches anymore to use multicast as sources. But is multicast still technically provided by Unifi/Astro? I'm more curious about Unifi's current IPTV implementation and if using multicast directly is still possible. (udp://239.192.100.1 - udp://239.192.100.255 etc etc) I'm not concerned about Astro as their satellite channels can be watched easily with specific hardware without official Astro STBsĀ  whistling.gif . As for why not just go for OTT, I'm a quality over quantity snob (I prefer to wait for highest fidelity and not watch low quality streams with issues such as delays, bad encoding, blurry, laggy streams as most streams are just HDMI captures downmixed to fit webstreams), which comes the question, can I just get old Unifi STBs from second hand marketplaces like Carousell/Facebook Marketplace and let TM bind the STB's MAC to my current Unifi account (Subscribing to Unifi package, or if there's no need to and I can just force my NAS to subscribe to a multicast address and watch the streams) and have access to multicast streams again. (Yes I am aware Conditional Access exists but any channels that doesn't have CA is just another great addition to my own Tvheadend box)
Speaking of which, our DVB-T2 MyTV is technically IPTV, even tho it's broadcasted OTA (it's basically h264 1080i stream anyway). My only issue was those cheap USB DVB-T2 receivers from china does not play well with Linux/TVHeadend. I needed to plug it in a windows machine with NextPVR, and have TVHeadend link it from there

This post has been edited by linkinstreet: Sep 24 2021, 07:15 AM
TSyenchenje
post Sep 24 2021, 12:16 PM

Enthusiast
728 posts

QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Sep 24 2021, 07:14 AM)
Speaking of which, our DVB-T2 MyTV is technically IPTV, even tho it's broadcasted OTA (it's basically h264 1080i stream anyway). My only issue was those cheap USB DVB-T2 receivers from china does not play well with Linux/TVHeadend. I needed to plug it in a windows machine with NextPVR, and have TVHeadend link it from there
For me I consider those as HDTV streams as well tbh, since you can also get h264 streams over ATSC-T (QAM256 modulation), but I think if you wanna get DVB-T or like DVB-S to work properly, the best way is to use minisatip(https://github.com/catalinii/minisatip) and link up supported tuners to another seperate box like a RPi or whatever since it can work over the local network, and use that to link up in tvheadend since tvheadend can grab minisatip desc.xml super easily and it can easily identify what the tuner is DVB-T, DVB-S, DVB-S2, ATSC-C, ATSC-T or whatever etc etc.. Since drivers support for Linux can be hard to get at the best of time, best to just use another container to handle it that has dedicated drivers. https://github.com/catalinii/minisatip/blob...ted_Hardware.md Here's the list of supported hardware by minisatip. Since I've noticed that the method that allows me to watch Astro has added a lot more channels recently, including ASSP UHD (4K HEVC AC3 codec), I might buy a box or two off AliExpress and see if I can get the CA working in tvheadend.. Idk yet, only issue with that is my astro dish is the old type (Not Black B.Yond) and only has one tuner available on the LNB.. gonna have to change it out to dual or quad LNB to see if it works hmm.gif (The old dish can also receive HD/UHD streams just fine)

This post has been edited by yenchenje: Sep 24 2021, 12:19 PM
linkinstreet
post Sep 24 2021, 12:40 PM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
9,215 posts

QUOTE(yenchenje @ Sep 24 2021, 12:16 PM)
For me I consider those as HDTV streams as well tbh, since you can also get h264 streams over ATSC-T (QAM256 modulation), but I think if you wanna get DVB-T or like DVB-S to work properly, the best way is to use minisatip(https://github.com/catalinii/minisatip) and link up supported tuners to another seperate box like a RPi or whatever since it can work over the local network, and use that to link up in tvheadend since tvheadend can grab minisatip desc.xml super easily and it can easily identify what the tuner is DVB-T, DVB-S, DVB-S2, ATSC-C, ATSC-T or whatever etc etc.. Since drivers support for Linux can be hard to get at the best of time, best to just use another container to handle it that has dedicated drivers.  https://github.com/catalinii/minisatip/blob...ted_Hardware.md Here's the list of supported hardware by minisatip. Since I've noticed that the method that allows me to watch Astro has added a lot more channels recently, including ASSP UHD (4K HEVC AC3 codec), I might buy a box or two off AliExpress and see if I can get the CA working in tvheadend.. Idk yet, only issue with that is my astro dish is the old type (Not Black B.Yond) and only has one tuner available on the LNB.. gonna have to change it out to dual or quad LNB to see if it works  hmm.gif (The old dish can also receive HD/UHD streams just fine)
FWIW NextPVR works fine without me having to do much tinkering. I mean from the description it sounds like it's doing what I am already doing, linking TVHeadend with another box just to get the DVB-T2 signal.
user posted image
TSyenchenje
post Sep 24 2021, 04:02 PM

Enthusiast
728 posts

QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Sep 24 2021, 12:40 PM)
FWIW NextPVR works fine without me having to do much tinkering. I mean from the description it sounds like it's doing what I am already doing, linking TVHeadend with another box just to get the DVB-T2 signal.
user posted image
Interesting, never saw a UI like this.. Guess I gotta buy a tuner to just play around with it, TBS sells like a dual DVB-S/DVB-T tuner for 160$ but importing it to Malaysia might be tiring hmm.gif
TSyenchenje
post Sep 24 2021, 04:32 PM

Enthusiast
728 posts

QUOTE(noobz4ever @ Sep 23 2021, 09:58 PM)
"can I just get old Unifi STBs from second hand marketplaces like Carousell/Facebook Marketplace and let TM bind the STB's MAC to my current Unifi account"
Yes
There's 3 revisions of the STB right? The first and second looks like the big chungus from Astro back in the days and the third one is the one from Huawei, does it matter which one I try to find or does it not matter and all of tthem can decode FHD streams just fine?
linkinstreet
post Sep 24 2021, 05:11 PM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
9,215 posts

QUOTE(yenchenje @ Sep 24 2021, 04:02 PM)
Interesting, never saw a UI like this.. Guess I gotta buy a tuner to just play around with it, TBS sells like a dual DVB-S/DVB-T tuner for 160$ but importing it to Malaysia might be tiring  hmm.gif
I used USB DVB-T2 receiver that is around RM70ish from China. Bought using Lazada. Needed two tho since there are two MyTV muxes. I presume if you buy something that has a better chipset, you could directly use it with TVHeadend

QUOTE(yenchenje @ Sep 24 2021, 04:32 PM)
There's 3 revisions of the STB right? The first and second looks like the big chungus from Astro back in the days and the third one is the one from Huawei, does it matter which one I try to find or does it not matter and all of tthem can decode FHD streams just fine?
The Huawei EC6108V8 (white) is the one you want. I am using that one as well due to the same issue, I need high quality 50FPS image
TSyenchenje
post Sep 24 2021, 07:20 PM

Enthusiast
728 posts

QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Sep 24 2021, 05:11 PM)
I used USB DVB-T2 receiver that is around RM70ish from China. Bought using Lazada. Needed two tho since there are two MyTV muxes. I presume if you buy something that has a better chipset, you could directly use it with TVHeadend
Oh, can I have the link for checking? Haven't used Lazada in forever, just been on shopee etc tongue.gif
TSyenchenje
post Sep 24 2021, 07:22 PM

Enthusiast
728 posts

QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Sep 24 2021, 05:11 PM)
The Huawei EC6108V8 (white) is the one you want. I am using that one as well due to the same issue, I need high quality 50FPS image
Ah so I need the Android one got it, modded or non modded only? Cause I have an old same model but it's heavily modded to run custom firmware.. so was kinda curious if the modded ver will work, and I can just unmod it or something and save some money there and no need to buy another underpowered box tongue.gif
linkinstreet
post Sep 24 2021, 07:43 PM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
9,215 posts

QUOTE(yenchenje @ Sep 24 2021, 07:20 PM)
Oh, can I have the link for checking? Haven't used Lazada in forever, just been on shopee etc  tongue.gif
https://www.lazada.com.my/products/i2081659...8332186362.html

QUOTE(yenchenje @ Sep 24 2021, 07:22 PM)
Ah so I need the Android one got it, modded or non modded only? Cause I have an old same model but it's heavily modded to run custom firmware.. so was kinda curious if the modded ver will work, and I can just unmod it or something and save some money there and no need to buy another underpowered box  tongue.gif
I didn't mod mine, because that thing has no other use other than receiving the IPTV's muticast. it's quite old and underpowered to boot

noobz4ever
post Sep 25 2021, 12:32 AM

Getting Started
290 posts

QUOTE(yenchenje @ Sep 24 2021, 04:32 PM)
Sry, I can't answer that question. But I did obtain an unused unit of hypetv(the white small box) and reported my iptv have issue to tmnut, than the technician come and I handed him the unit for reconfiguration, I did remember hearing the technician calling to center to unbind mac address. Its like the ip address for iptv is bind to the unit mac address..maybe, not my expertise..

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0167sec    0.10    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:50 AM