Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> AstraZeneca vs. Sinovac : Efficacy Against Gamma V

views

TSJustin.Loong
post Sep 15 2021, 01:30 PM, updated 2w ago

Look at all my stars!!
2,533 posts

A large Brazil study has just compared the efficacy of the AstraZeneca and Sinovac vaccines against the Gamma variant of COVID-19!
Here is what you need to know!

SARS-CoV-2 Gamma Variant : What Is It?
The Gamma variant of the SARS-CoV-2 virus (P.1) is one of the four Variants of Concern (VOCs). It was first detected in Brazil in November 2020, but has since spread to more than 10 other countries.
user posted image

As this BBC comparison shows – it is more similar to the Beta (UK) variant than the Delta (India) variant. It shares two of the mutations of concern with the Beta variant, but none with the Delta variant.

The Gamma variant is less transmissible than the Delta variant, but has greater resistance to vaccines.

Therefore, the results of this study is of great interest to scientists and doctors who are worried about the effectiveness of current vaccines, if the Gamma variant becomes more prevalent.
user posted image

AstraZeneca vs. Sinovac : TLDR Summary
The Brazilian study looked at 60.5 million Brazilians who were vaccinated with either the AstraZeneca Vaxzevria vaccine, or the Sinovac CoronaVac vaccine.
Here is our quick TLDR summary of their key findings :

AstraZeneca Vaxzevria

breakthrough infections were high for people who were partially-vaccinated
partially-vaccinated individuals had significant protection against hospitalisation, ICU admission and death
fully-vaccinated individuals had very good protection against hospitalisation, ICU admission and death
there was a big drop in vaccine effectiveness in people 90 years or older

Sinovac CoronaVac
breakthrough infections were high, whether people were partially- or fully-vaccinated
partially-vaccinated individuals had poor protection against hospitalisation, ICU admission and death
fully-vaccinated individuals had good protection against hospitalisation, ICU admission and death
there was a big drop in vaccine effectiveness in people 90 years or older

Despite what Internet rumours may claim, the AstraZeneca vaccine is definitely superior to the Sinovac vaccine.
But both vaccines offer good protection against the Gamma variant of COVID-19, but only after individuals are fully-vaccinated.

AstraZeneca vs. Sinovac : Study Results Summarised
The Brazilian study was a retrospective study involving 60.5 million Brazilians from 18 January until 30 June 2021.

It compared the effectiveness of the AstraZeneca Vaxzevria and Sinovac CoronaVac vaccines in preventing :
COVID-19 infection,
hospitalisation,
ICU admission, and
death.
The study also noted that the Gamma variant was the most frequent variant in Brazil at the time it was conducted.

Partial Vaccination
The Brazilian team defined partial vaccination as 14 days or longer after receiving the first dose of a vaccine, but before receiving the second dose.

They found that partial vaccination with the AstraZeneca Vaxzevria vaccine offered significant protection against hospitalisation, ICU admission and death – about 50% better than unvaccinated people.

Partial vaccination with the Sinovac CoronaVac vaccine offered less protection than the AstraZeneca vaccine.

Full Vaccination
The Brazilian team defined partial vaccination as 14 days or longer after receiving the second dose of a vaccine.

They found that people fully-vaccinated with the AstraZeneca Vaxzevria vaccine had good protection against getting infected with COVID-19, and very good protection against hospitalisation, ICU admission and death.

Full vaccination with the Sinovac CoronaVac vaccine offered significant protection against getting infected with COVID-19, and good protection against hospitalisation, ICU admission and death.

This shows the importance of being fully-vaccinated with either vaccine.

People 90 Years Or Older
The Brazilian team also identified a big drop in vaccine effectiveness in people who are 90 years or older.

This is a bigger problem for the Sinovac CoronaVac, which offers only 35% protection against death for this age group; and less so for the AstraZeneca Vaxzevria, which offers twice that (70%).

Because of this big drop in vaccine effectiveness, the study authors are recommending a booster dose for this age group.
user posted image

AstraZeneca vs. Sinovac : Authors’ Conclusions
You can read the entire preprint paper, Effectiveness of Vaxzevria and CoronaVac vaccines in Brazil, by Cerqueira-Silva et. al.

Here are the conclusions by the study authors :
Both vaccines demonstrated overall effectiveness against severe COVID-19 up to 80 years of age. Our results suggest that individuals aged 90 years or older may benefit from an expedited third booster dose. Ongoing evaluations, including any additional vaccines authorized, are crucial to monitoring long-term vaccine effectiveness.

Posted by Dr. Adrian Wong
user posted image

Source: AstraZeneca vs. Sinovac : Efficacy Against Gamma Variant
heavensea
post Sep 15 2021, 01:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,444 posts

Which means abang adik?
Clueless07
post Sep 15 2021, 02:17 PM

On my way
639 posts

Hi there.... anywhere which we could get Sinovac?
via walk in possible?
Maknusia
post Sep 15 2021, 02:31 PM

On my way
669 posts

QUOTE(Clueless07 @ Sep 15 2021, 02:17 PM)
Hi there.... anywhere which we could get Sinovac?
via walk in possible?
IDCC was dispensing Sinovac, but there was a press news saying today is the last day for PPV, hence not sure if the walkin are closed or the whole center is closed.

Maybe trying finding their number and calling them would help? There are also couple of new clinics been opened for vaccination as well.
diffyhelman2
post Sep 15 2021, 02:32 PM

Casual
476 posts

if above 90 yo, died also can be from old age already, not just covid. Normal flu also deadly.
Heroicage
post Sep 15 2021, 02:37 PM

Getting Started
147 posts

i never denied this.

must also calculate the rare blood clot risk...

IF AZ updated their vaccine to reduce this risk, it would be a good vaccine overall.

lowyat101
post Sep 15 2021, 02:41 PM

Regular
1,036 posts

i think it's known from the beginning that sinovac is not as effective as the others available here but also it's with much lesser risks.

and based on the above chart, the average of 70% vs 85%, i would say that it's a very good already for those who prefers lower site effect risks

Selectt
post Sep 15 2021, 02:44 PM

wattttt!!
1,419 posts

of course az better than sino, i never question about it
lordgamer3
post Sep 15 2021, 02:49 PM

Casual
312 posts

AZ is quite efficient though EU downplay it stating side effects etc but yeah AZ side effects are quite severe then that of Tongsan Vac but protection mmg better. However its important to discuss with your doc
ApocalypseSoon
post Sep 15 2021, 02:51 PM

Getting Started
132 posts

AZ vs Sinovac

Of coz AZ is better in fighting virus...provided you survived the blood clot after the 1st dose.

LOL
gogo2
post Sep 15 2021, 03:00 PM

gogo2
All Stars
18,621 posts

QUOTE(ApocalypseSoon @ Sep 15 2021, 02:51 PM)
AZ vs Sinovac

Of coz AZ is better in fighting virus...provided you survived the blood clot after the 1st dose.

LOL
Is it like what doesn't kill you make you stronger?
xander83
post Sep 15 2021, 04:17 PM

Blast off like a rocket
3,918 posts

QUOTE(lowyat101 @ Sep 15 2021, 02:41 PM)
i think it's known from the beginning that sinovac is not as effective as the others available here but also it's with much lesser risks.

and based on the above chart, the average of 70% vs 85%, i would say that it's a very good already for those who prefers lower site effect risks
CCP propaganda all this while rclxms.gif

Side effects will be always there it is the severity which scares ppl of AZ
lowyat101
post Sep 15 2021, 05:39 PM

Regular
1,036 posts

QUOTE(xander83 @ Sep 15 2021, 04:17 PM)
CCP propaganda all this while  rclxms.gif

haha.. if you read properly, i'm referring to the risk level

side effects are very subjective, but the risks, both known and unknown, well your choice

This post has been edited by lowyat101: Sep 15 2021, 05:40 PM
jcheong
post Sep 15 2021, 05:51 PM

Casual
310 posts

Israel: 32 daily deaths
Malaysia: 463 daily deaths

user posted image
user posted image

Still want to compare with Israel?

This post has been edited by jcheong: Sep 15 2021, 05:51 PM
xander83
post Sep 15 2021, 06:38 PM

Blast off like a rocket
3,918 posts

QUOTE(lowyat101 @ Sep 15 2021, 05:39 PM)
haha.. if you read properly, i'm referring to the risk level

side effects are very subjective, but the risks, both known and unknown, well your choice
Don’t compared the risks compared the rewards now
lowyat101
post Sep 16 2021, 12:36 AM

Regular
1,036 posts

QUOTE(xander83 @ Sep 15 2021, 06:38 PM)
Don’t compared the risks compared the rewards now
that's why i said b4, different ppl got different priorities. there's no right or wrong.

msacras
post Sep 16 2021, 12:41 AM

Regular
1,151 posts

QUOTE(xander83 @ Sep 15 2021, 04:17 PM)
CCP propaganda all this while  rclxms.gif

Actually it's German's propaganda...
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-56580728

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0214sec    0.52    5 queries    GZIP Disabled