Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Should i jump to IT/comp engineering from finance?

views

TSroyalknightssx
post Sep 14 2021, 02:24 AM, updated 3d ago

38 posts

Main question: Is it true that working in IT(software engineering/computer engineering) can easily earn more than 6k >3 year ,8k >5 year.

Finished degree in finance, starting salary only 2.5k after counting in benefit, Not in big 4.
Then asked senior who is accountant/auditor, seems that future not so good... Need to work more than 3 years for 4k~5k. To earn >10k need to be partner/finance director.

While my other friends that studied IT(inti uow,utar) software engineering and computer engineering both person have 3k+ starting salary, they said highly possible to earn up to 5k~7k after 3year.
After 5 year >10k if skill good and is team leader.
Also will have 2~3 months worth of salary as bonus if completed a huge project.
Is this true or they are boasting?

Heard that IT/comp people need to always keep up with new tech and knowledge to remain competetive and overtime so tiring.
But i find that auditor/accountant also same boring overtime and need to update knowledge everytime, but salary is much lower than IT field man, i'm honestly JEALOUS now.

I think i might have more passionate if do programming, from a gamers perspective lar, maybe also hate it after it become job. Really no life now everyday busy with the accounts. Might consider to restudy and take IT course if really can earn money easily.
lordgamer3
post Sep 14 2021, 02:35 AM

Getting Started
277 posts

QUOTE(royalknightssx @ Sep 14 2021, 02:24 AM)
Main question: Is it true that working in IT(software engineering/computer engineering) can easily earn more than 6k >3 year ,8k >5 year.

Finished degree in finance, starting salary only 2.5k after counting in benefit, Not in big 4.
Then asked senior who is accountant/auditor, seems that future not so good... Need to work more than 3 years for 4k~5k. To earn >10k need to be partner/finance director.

While my other friends that studied IT(inti uow,utar) software engineering and computer engineering both person have 3k+ starting salary, they said highly possible to earn up to 5k~7k after 3year.

Heard that IT/comp people need to always keep up with new tech and knowledge to remain competetive and overtime so tiring.
But i find that auditor/accountant also same boring overtime and need to update knowledge everytime, but salary is much lower than IT field man, i'm honestly JEALOUS now.

I think i might have more passionate if do programming, from a gamers perspective lar, maybe also hate it after it become job. Really no life now everyday busy with the accounts. Might consider to restudy and take IT course if really can earn money easily.
Why you wanna subject yourself to more torture? I from engineering go finance. Work hard shit pay and high competition.
PowerOfZero P
post Sep 14 2021, 06:13 AM

Probation
29 posts

True IT is one of the top field currently. Finance unless u doing investment got no future
tishaban
post Sep 14 2021, 08:44 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,568 posts

Why limit yourself to just one field, IT or finance? The breadth of technology means that anyone with knowledge across multiple fields in addition to technology will be multiple steps ahead of just someone who knows plain IT. Bring your finance knowledge into fintech for example, combine it with regulatory compliance and you can definitely earn more than just a plain IT person.

Also with most IT fields eg. programming or data science you can start doing things immediately with minimal cost. You might be more passionate to do programming? Start coding, submit stuff to some of these active telegram groups or github and learn. No matter what though, you do need to develop yourself and as usual there's an element of luck/fate involved.

All the best.

hustlingsalaryman
post Sep 14 2021, 08:45 AM

Getting Started
62 posts

I think you need to narrow down what kind of IT you want to be doing.

Do you want to build a software, build an app, involved in network and IT infrastructure, or in the process automation space.

you studied finance, but you're in account department now?
if so, then maybe you're in the wrong dept. maybe find something related to finance before jumping to IT.
tadashi987
post Sep 14 2021, 10:53 AM

memer
1,368 posts

Just FYI, IT has hard skill roles and softskill roles too.

harskill roles are like developers, programmer, database admin, infrastructure etc. Very hardskill dependant, you need good proof of your skill, like have done what project before, what IT language you learnt before

softskill roles include IT service manager, project manager, IT sale manager, IT business analyst, very experience dependant, what peoplea you have dealt before, who was your clients, what project scale you manage before.
weiloon888
post Sep 14 2021, 11:28 AM

38 posts

The salary range you quoted is above average.
I've seen average developers still earning 5k-6k after 10 years exp.
I've also seen outliers earning >10k in 5 years.
These are local markets, not companies paying in foreign currency.
So it's the same as most industries, you just need to perform, else you'll get left behind.

But one thing that is different, is that you're expected to have minimal work life balance, in some MNC and more so in SME.
feydrax
post Sep 14 2021, 02:20 PM

Getting Started
238 posts

Why not both, go learn up RPA. It's a good hybrid knowledge to be in between both accounting and IT fields.
seventwo
post Sep 14 2021, 04:07 PM

Enthusiast
709 posts

Haha, boasting too much biggrin.gif

QUOTE(weiloon888 @ Sep 14 2021, 11:28 AM)
The salary range you quoted is above average.
I've seen average developers still earning 5k-6k after 10 years exp.
I've also seen outliers earning >10k in 5 years.
These are local markets, not companies paying in foreign currency.
So it's the same as most industries, you just need to perform, else you'll get left behind.

But one thing that is different, is that you're expected to have minimal work life balance, in some MNC and more so in SME.
TS, refer to this, I agreed with him.
Work-life balance is like nonexistent in this line mega_shok.gif

This post has been edited by seventwo: Sep 14 2021, 04:08 PM
Topace111
post Sep 14 2021, 05:52 PM

Regular
1,985 posts

https://www.hays.com.my/salary-guide

You can check salary comparison here.
PowerOfZero P
post Sep 14 2021, 07:44 PM

Probation
29 posts

QUOTE(Topace111 @ Sep 14 2021, 05:52 PM)

You can check salary comparison here.
This 1 all from recruitment agency not reflect real life. Only applicable to high ppl
Maria Takagi
post Sep 14 2021, 10:16 PM

Enthusiast
940 posts

I thought IT programming OT is even worse than finance

Some commercial finance go back home at 6-7pm. Some of them closing only month end, leave late night.

Auditor night life only 3-4 years then you quit go to commercial. Some more got bonus and find GF when work in team.

But IT programming everyday work late and middle of night.

Not sure IT programming work late night can find GF or not.

ctw88
post Sep 15 2021, 01:11 PM

Getting Started
80 posts

IT itself is very broad. Some have really good prospect, while some are pretty stagnant. So choose wisely

Dont look at the money others are making, just follow what you're passionate about. I've seen people jumping from a job that has nothing to do with IT, and thrive. Most important is always your passion for what you do.

When I started my career as a network engineer, pay was measly and have to work over weekends. My friends were laughing at my less than 2k base salary.

But with passion and hunger for knowledge I gained a number of certs and experience along the way. A decade later, I'm already earning way more than my friends, while they still stagnate at their old jobs

If you really decided to dive into IT, you have to constantly keep yourself up-to-date with latest stuff. Once you learned enough and feel stagnant, move to other tech tower

Honestly speaking, when you gained enough experience, offers will start pouring in from headhunters. You dont even have to worry about your salary anymore, unless you're aiming for something like 100k a month lol
Topace111
post Sep 15 2021, 01:40 PM

Regular
1,985 posts

QUOTE(PowerOfZero @ Sep 14 2021, 07:44 PM)
This 1 all from recruitment agency not reflect real life. Only applicable to high ppl
True, but I put more weight on what is published. The numbers quite reflect those on the higher bracket. Their survey does focus on larger companies after all.

Can easily discount 20% to work backward for average/ smaller companies.
.iuforever.
post Yesterday, 06:26 PM

44 posts

go ahead if you really want to try, of course if you willing to sacrifice your rest time to study and pay yourself for the course.

if budget and time is not a problem, i dont see anything wrong to learn extra skill to secure better value in ur future career.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0211sec    0.65    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th September 2021 - 12:54 AM