post Aug 29 2021, 01:45 AM, updated 3y ago

Enthusiast
826 posts

Ryzen 2600
16GB DDR4
Asrock A320 Mobo
RX580 8GB
RX470 8GB

Lately my pc having driver timed out frequently. Already update windows & driver. Few month ago no prob even most of the time using it for mining with kryptex. Playing dota also no problem. But now every few seconds driver timed out. The temp when mining always below 65c. No prob with temp. I dont know what the problem. Its not mining software prob. Any solution?
jetblast
post Aug 29 2021, 02:48 AM

Regular
1,010 posts

Try ddu then reload driver
System Error Message
post Oct 22 2021, 10:27 AM

Regular
1,781 posts

not really a fan of players of games like dota, mostly toxic people.

There is a known issue/bug with your GPU series and windows. I once had a rx480 and it died in 2 months due to driver bug. The driver timeout you get is likely a hardware problem as its either power or the components seem to be wearing out a lot faster than normal.

Still you should try adjusting bios settings and perhaps freshly installing your drivers through DDU way. Wipe drivers fully, then install. Make sure you also tweak your GPU settings and use the right good quality PSU. Most PSUs in malaysia used are below tier 3 with plenty at tier 6. Tier 3 is minimum for home users (you can google the PSU tier list).
ifourtos
post Oct 22 2021, 10:56 AM

Regular
1,884 posts

QUOTE(Cruxs @ Aug 29 2021, 01:45 AM)
Ryzen 2600
16GB DDR4
Asrock A320 Mobo
RX580 8GB
RX470 8GB

Lately my pc having driver timed out frequently. Already update windows & driver. Few month ago no prob even most of the time using it for mining with kryptex. Playing dota also no problem. But now every few seconds driver timed out. The temp when mining always below 65c. No prob with temp. I dont know what the problem. Its not mining software prob. Any solution?
no problem with the Temp....

what a bold and naive statement.

VRM, Mosfet, RAMDAC temp u can check????
any1 of above burn out, minor damage can cause weird problem....

i have few damaged card due to mining.

not the GPU, but GDDR5 burned.
TSCruxs
post Oct 26 2021, 08:08 PM

Enthusiast
826 posts

QUOTE(jetblast @ Aug 29 2021, 02:48 AM)
Try ddu then reload driver
Done. But still happen but seldom

QUOTE(System Error Message @ Oct 22 2021, 10:27 AM)

There is a known issue/bug with your GPU series and windows. I once had a rx480 and it died in 2 months due to driver bug. The driver timeout you get is likely a hardware problem as its either power or the components seem to be wearing out a lot faster than normal.

Still you should try adjusting bios settings and perhaps freshly installing your drivers through DDU way. Wipe drivers fully, then install. Make sure you also tweak your GPU settings and use the right good quality PSU. Most PSUs in malaysia used are below tier 3 with plenty at tier 6. Tier 3 is minimum for home users (you can google the PSU tier list).
I read somewhere its about page file error that force the driver to restart. But lost track. Got dude solve the issue by some tweak to page file size.

QUOTE(ifourtos @ Oct 22 2021, 10:56 AM)

I didnt oc the vram on radeon card. All stock condition. Only downclock the core from 1366mhz to 1066mhz. Should be no prob for temp. It occurs before i start using it for mining. Obviously after windows update. My gpu temp nvr go above 65c. My casing optimize for good airflow. I tried to test with different temp. Stop all fan. temp goes up to 80c. no problem for few days. I tried looking at many website. Most radeon 400 & 500 series face this prob even they r not mining. Some miner boost vram up to 400mhz.
TSCruxs
post Oct 26 2021, 08:12 PM

Enthusiast
826 posts

I tried with new rx580 for casual use. Not mining. Just open from box. Same problem. Less problem with adrenalin 21.5.2. the latest driver 21.10.2 the worst 1. From the website & forum looks like its all started from feb this year after windows update.
TSCruxs
post Oct 26 2021, 08:17 PM

Enthusiast
826 posts

QUOTE(System Error Message @ Oct 22 2021, 10:27 AM)

That driver issue kill ur gpu? I got few pc. Some of it using deepcool DA700 & seasonic. Yes i quit dota bcos its not fun anymore. After that i start mining. Waste if just let the gpu collect dust. As im gpu collector.
TSCruxs
post Oct 26 2021, 08:21 PM

Enthusiast
826 posts

What gpu u use for mining? I only oc the 3060Ti vram +800mhz & downclock the core. The rx470 the best as its mining for more than 3 years.
System Error Message
post Oct 27 2021, 10:01 AM

Regular
1,781 posts

QUOTE(Cruxs @ Oct 26 2021, 08:17 PM)
That driver issue kill ur gpu? I got few pc. Some of it using deepcool DA700 & seasonic. Yes i quit dota bcos its not fun anymore. After that i start mining. Waste if just let the gpu collect dust. As im gpu collector.
yup, there was a windows 10 driver bug that literally killed rx 480. i got mine when it was new and was pretty mad so i just ran nvidia from there. I got myself vega when it was new but to avoid scalper prices i just got the vega fe instead. Had a good run testing it with compute. Vega however was a power hog that many boards could not support (the FE version due to the vram used), but at least theres a switch on the GPU to select the bios you want. The rx480/580 are similar architectures to AMD's cut down architecture since after GCN1. The HD 7970 overclocked can match the original titan in double FP performance.

I collect GPUs too but i'm about to sell off the older duplicate ones i have, and the architectures i am not fond of.

I did not buy my GPUs when i was in malaysia but when i was overseas at the time so even the pricing is better.
TSCruxs
post Oct 27 2021, 10:49 AM

Enthusiast
826 posts

QUOTE(System Error Message @ Oct 27 2021, 10:01 AM)
yup, there was a windows 10 driver bug that literally killed rx 480. i got mine when it was new and was pretty mad so i just ran nvidia from there. I got myself vega when it was new but to avoid scalper prices i just got the vega fe instead. Had a good run testing it with compute. Vega however was a power hog that many boards could not support (the FE version due to the vram used), but at least theres a switch on the GPU to select the bios you want. The rx480/580 are similar architectures to AMD's cut down architecture since after GCN1. The HD 7970 overclocked can match the original titan in double FP performance.

I collect GPUs too but i'm about to sell off the older duplicate ones i have, and the architectures i am not fond of.

I did not buy my GPUs when i was in malaysia but when i was overseas at the time so even the pricing is better.
Thats what im worried about. The bug. Even the New World game can kill high end gpu. Till now i cant find the solution for driver timed out prob. But now its seldom happening. My fren can get new rtx3080 for rm4k oversea. But it will be a prob when want to claim for warranty. Newer gpu draw lot of power. Can see miner use weird brand of psu for mining without problem. I cant mining using asic miner yet. For now im using gpu that left around. If windows 11 is safe then i will migrate. Vega gpu is my dream. But its hard to get it. Im collecting gpu since riva tnt2. But now all those nice looking hardware cost a bomb.
System Error Message
post Oct 27 2021, 11:11 AM

Regular
1,781 posts

QUOTE(Cruxs @ Oct 27 2021, 10:49 AM)
Thats what im worried about. The bug. Even the New World game can kill high end gpu. Till now i cant find the solution for driver timed out prob. But now its seldom happening. My fren can get new rtx3080 for rm4k oversea. But it will be a prob when want to claim for warranty. Newer gpu draw lot of power. Can see miner use weird brand of psu for mining without problem. I cant mining using asic miner yet. For now im using gpu that left around. If windows 11 is safe then i will migrate. Vega gpu is my dream. But its hard to get it. Im collecting gpu since riva tnt2. But now all those nice looking hardware cost a bomb.
windows 11 isn't safe yet. Its a bit like the time i tried windows server 2016 when it first came out, and it was so bad that it was so laggy that even the system clock was hours behind.

Ever since windows8/server 2012 i made the pledge never to use windows as a server ever again.

While new world kills high end GPUs i thank myself for only having nvidia up to the 1000 series as those don't get the same problem. ever since the 2000 series GPU design has gotten back to before the unified shader architecture, so instead of having a bunch of general purpose units doing all the work you now have dedicated units doing different work and each GPU core now consists of a bunch of dedicated units part of the rendering pipeline along with unified shaders. This in turn can use a lot more power and lead to the GPU power being under designed which is why new world can kill GPUs. I dont blame the software if it utilises the hardware efficiently but this is something that AMD knew and designed their power for which is why the vega FE is rated at 400W especially with its HBM2 memory. I have an eGPU test result of the vega FE somewhere and it only matches the 1070 in blender.
TSCruxs
post Oct 27 2021, 12:59 PM

Enthusiast
826 posts

QUOTE(System Error Message @ Oct 27 2021, 11:11 AM)
windows 11 isn't safe yet. Its a bit like the time i tried windows server 2016 when it first came out, and it was so bad that it was so laggy that even the system clock was hours behind.

Ever since windows8/server 2012 i made the pledge never to use windows as a server ever again.

While new world kills high end GPUs i thank myself for only having nvidia up to the 1000 series as those don't get the same problem. ever since the 2000 series GPU design has gotten back to before the unified shader architecture, so instead of having a bunch of general purpose units doing all the work you now have dedicated units doing different work and each GPU core now consists of a bunch of dedicated units part of the rendering pipeline along with unified shaders. This in turn can use a lot more power and lead to the GPU power being under designed which is why new world can kill GPUs. I dont blame the software if it utilises the hardware efficiently but this is something that AMD knew and designed their power for which is why the vega FE is rated at 400W especially with its HBM2 memory. I have an eGPU test result of the vega FE somewhere and it only matches the 1070 in blender.
U doing work with those gpu? Can see u knew a lot about hardware. As im in terengganu, no fren that can exchange technical info about hardware. Most people here depend on advertisement & chasing new product. In 2008 i was hardware geek too. Now i rely on some forum to seek more info & testimony. What ur opinion about new intel discrete gpu? Is it worth to try on? Maybe Vega FE score for gaming instead of blender or designer apps.
System Error Message
post Oct 27 2021, 02:37 PM

Regular
1,781 posts

QUOTE(Cruxs @ Oct 27 2021, 12:59 PM)
U doing work with those gpu? Can see u knew a lot about hardware. As im in terengganu, no fren that can exchange technical info about hardware. Most people here depend on advertisement & chasing new product. In 2008 i was hardware geek too. Now i rely on some forum to seek more info & testimony. What ur opinion about new intel discrete gpu? Is it worth to try on? Maybe Vega FE score for gaming instead of blender or designer apps.
IF you want my opinion on GPU hardware

Intel - best at compute efficiency (not fastest as they dont stuff many cores in comparison to other dedicated GPUs), lacks enough of other units other brands have like TMUs, ROPs, etc so this limits some settings you can use ingame.

Nvidia 400-500 series - compute orientated 600-700 series- graphics orientated, 900-1000 series, compute orientated, 2000-3000 series graphics orientated (via hardware units), you can see the trend here.

AMD HD 4000-6000 series - graphics, GCN - compute (though GCN 2 and newer had crippled double FP). What you have in the rx 400 and 500 are graphics orientated (less crippling but lacks the hardware for them), Vega - compute orientated. Their latest ones are graphics orientated.

This is usually how the big 2 companies have their GPU development cycles, focusing either on a compute feature or a graphics feature. That doesnt mean the nvida 1000 series beats 2000 series in compute but its more like how much of an improve is in a different focus and whether its worth sticking with what you have or upgrading.

So you can see why the upcoming 4000 series nvidia requires 600W and has new connectors for power. Compute is generally inefficient for use in graphics like gaming, and we're starting to see a large increase and scale of additional unit types in the cores from integer for AI to many other things.

Intel doesn't add the other units the brands do, so things like ray tracing in hardware won't be there, but they'll definitely add things for media encoding, AI and things that they expect to happen a lot more with their customers including simple games. intel dGPU can definitely play dota without any problems. I remember long ago at low yat some peeps were asking about the nvidia gt 520 in a laptop if it was good for games like dota, but all brands tend to be guilty of not sticking to their naming, so the 520 is 50% slower than the 420 due to half the cores.

Every unit in a GPU is good at something in particular in a game, it affects what settings you can use. open GPUz and find out. TMUs are textures which also handle AF(all GPUs can max out textures nowadays), ROPs handle post processing like some of the AAs (not FXAA as thats shader AA), and your shaders do geomatry and math. the ray tracing units just do a bunch of simple linear math to calculate the next point of reflection for light but not like the brands expose this to use for other useful practical tasks.

This post has been edited by System Error Message: Oct 27 2021, 02:37 PM
TSCruxs
post Oct 27 2021, 04:17 PM

Enthusiast
826 posts

QUOTE(System Error Message @ Oct 27 2021, 02:37 PM)
IF you want my opinion on GPU hardware

Intel - best at compute efficiency (not fastest as they dont stuff many cores in comparison to other dedicated GPUs), lacks enough of other units other brands have like TMUs, ROPs, etc so this limits some settings you can use ingame.

Nvidia 400-500 series - compute orientated 600-700 series- graphics orientated, 900-1000 series, compute orientated, 2000-3000 series graphics orientated (via hardware units), you can see the trend here.

AMD HD 4000-6000 series - graphics,  GCN - compute (though GCN 2 and newer had crippled double FP). What you have in the rx 400 and 500 are graphics orientated (less crippling but lacks the hardware for them), Vega - compute orientated. Their latest ones are graphics orientated.

This is usually how the big 2 companies have their GPU development cycles, focusing either on a compute feature or a graphics feature. That doesnt mean the nvida 1000 series beats 2000 series in compute but its more like how much of an improve is in a different focus and whether its worth sticking with what you have or upgrading.

So you can see why the upcoming 4000 series nvidia requires 600W and has new connectors for power. Compute is generally inefficient for use in graphics like gaming, and we're starting to see a large increase and scale of additional unit types in the cores from integer for AI to many other things.

Intel doesn't add the other units the brands do, so things like ray tracing in hardware won't be there, but they'll definitely add things for media encoding, AI and things that they expect to happen a lot more with their customers including simple games. intel dGPU can definitely play dota without any problems. I remember long ago at low yat some peeps were asking about the nvidia gt 520 in a laptop if it was good for games like dota, but all brands tend to be guilty of not sticking to their naming, so the 520 is 50% slower than the 420 due to half the cores.

Every unit in a GPU is good at something in particular in a game, it affects what settings you can use. open GPUz and find out. TMUs are textures which also handle AF(all GPUs can max out textures nowadays), ROPs handle post processing like some of the AAs (not FXAA as thats shader AA), and your shaders do geomatry and math. the ray tracing units just do a bunch of simple linear math to calculate the next point of reflection for light but not like the brands expose this to use for other useful practical tasks.
Tq for the info. I plan to get Vega64 since its quite rare.
System Error Message
post Oct 27 2021, 05:14 PM

Regular
1,781 posts

QUOTE(Cruxs @ Oct 27 2021, 04:17 PM)
Tq for the info. I plan to get Vega64 since its quite rare.
i have some of the rarer older GPUs myself and i plan to get rid of some of the less rare redundant ones.

I have a gtx 285 2GB, thats rare, same with a HD 5870 6 DP 2GB as well, and low profile GTS 250. i plan to get rid of a GTS 250, HD 5870 1GB, HD 4970, 2x GTX 680, prob a GCN 1 as well and might get rid of a titan Xp as i have 2 of those, just need to check if 1 still works seeing as my f riend betrayed me and trashed my place.

This post has been edited by System Error Message: Oct 27 2021, 05:14 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0130sec    0.27    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:12 PM