Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Frontend Developers, what's happening?

views

Find The Way
post Apr 3 2022, 01:19 PM

Enthusiast
724 posts

QUOTE(life4 @ Apr 3 2022, 11:10 AM)
i just curios for the expansion part . should not it be a HR KPI goal as they should help to find enough qualified candidate?
I'm not sure if that company's HR has this KPI, perhaps they do. However, if engineering team and manager keeps telling higher management that we don't have enough capacity to handle more projects, it definitely makes the manager look bad in the eyes of senior management, well... at least in that company's management culture. HR has their own standard hiring method/channel, we knew those are not enough, so engineering team will have to do extra to bridge the gap, say organising outreach events, or use some of the engineering team's budget to launch referral program, etc..
flashang
post Apr 3 2022, 02:05 PM

Getting Started
175 posts

QUOTE(Find The Way @ Apr 3 2022, 12:44 PM)
What I meant is that, I didn't expect that company's front-end dev job to be that simple. There was a team in HQ dedicated for building and maintaining in-house front-end framework, it's intentional to make front-end works for business project as simple as possible. To the interest of engineer, that approach has cons and pros: it makes life very easy for front-end dev (non-framework), but it also makes them easily replaceable. Every time that company exercises restructuring or head count cut, front-end devs (non-framework) in the company got hit first, impact on back-end devs and front-end devs (framework) was usually very light or even none sometimes. Occasionally I got this feeling that in management's eyes, these front-end devs (non-framework) are more like temp/contractors.
A clear interface for user can access to the function fast and easy without guessing is very important.
User have no patience for a simple page load to for 10+ seconds (or may be even lesser).
Or some function hide deep inside sub-sub-sub menu / page.

For back-end dev,
basic coding on front-end to test the data integrity / conversion is very important.
At least they know what should / shouldn't expose to front-end,
the proper way to query for certain information from back-end, ...

So some company appoint graphics designer to draft layout / elements / templates,
and back-end dev applied these design and display to user.

They might using some opensource or commercial components to build the front-end,
or build in-house engine to generate layout for front-end.

sweat.gif

TSsilverhawk
post Apr 3 2022, 03:13 PM

I'm Positively Lustrous
Group Icon
Elite
4,537 posts

QUOTE(Find The Way @ Apr 3 2022, 12:55 PM)
What I meant by data structure, includes those simplest one like array and list. My observation is that there are three types of front-end jobs:
1. Those who build components from scratch, or at least actively maintaining components
2a. Those to use only pre-built in-house components
2b. Those to use only pre-built external or opensource components
3. Mix of (1) and (2).
For my last company, we have 10% of front-end jobs are type 1 (a dedicated team in HQ), 90% are type 2a (every other front-end dev in the org), there's no type 2b or type 3 role in the company. Advantage: easier to achieve consistency. Disadvantage: occasional bottleneck.
If they can't write their own component, they're not a dev.. doh.gif

This post has been edited by silverhawk: Apr 3 2022, 03:14 PM
Find The Way
post Apr 3 2022, 09:13 PM

Enthusiast
724 posts

QUOTE(silverhawk @ Apr 3 2022, 03:13 PM)
If they can't write their own component, they're not a dev.. doh.gif
Indeed, job title ambiguity is an annoying thing, which is not uncommon in software development world bangwall.gif I experienced the pain

This post has been edited by Find The Way: Apr 3 2022, 09:22 PM
dstl1128
post Apr 6 2022, 02:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,463 posts

QUOTE(kingkingyyk @ Aug 27 2021, 08:24 PM)
Obscenely short Python :
CODE
def solution(n: int):
   ans = [' '.join([str(y) for y in range(1,n+2-x)]) for x in range(1,n+1)]
   print('\n'.join(ans))

solution(4)

or maybe nicer.

CODE
def solution(n: int):
   full = [str(x) for x in list(range(1,n+2))]
   for i in range(1,n+1):
       print(' '.join(full[:-i]))

solution(4)

sweat.gif The truth is there are too many incompetent developers here.
Why so inefficient?
CODE

def fn(n):
   for x in range(n,0,-1):
       print('*'*x)

dexeric
post Apr 6 2022, 03:36 PM

Getting Started
82 posts

CODE

#N = 4

For #J = #N downto 1
$Out = ''
  For #I = #J downto 1
     $Out =  conv(#I) + ' ' + $Out
  Endfor
Umsg($Out,-1)
Endfor

Niche language, [PROIV]

This post has been edited by dexeric: Apr 6 2022, 03:39 PM
dexeric
post Apr 6 2022, 03:44 PM

Getting Started
82 posts

Not sure how the backend and frontend is differentiate as i am using niche language where frontend is interactive and backend is group by cycle.
I do notice alot dev do not know / scared to use loop. Not just recurrant loop, just while or for loop they also avoid...

It is just a shame for them to forgo such powerful syntax...
kingkingyyk
post Apr 6 2022, 10:20 PM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
15,391 posts

QUOTE(dstl1128 @ Apr 6 2022, 02:50 PM)
Why so inefficient?
CODE

def fn(n):
   for x in range(n,0,-1):
       print('*'*x)

Compare the output of your code with mine.

QUOTE(dexeric @ Apr 6 2022, 03:44 PM)
I do notice alot dev do not know / scared to use loop. Not just recurrant loop, just while or for loop they also avoid...
Are they dev or just code technician? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by kingkingyyk: Apr 6 2022, 10:22 PM
dexeric
post Apr 7 2022, 08:59 AM

Getting Started
82 posts

QUOTE(kingkingyyk @ Apr 6 2022, 10:20 PM)
Compare the output of your code with mine.
Are they dev or just code technician?  laugh.gif
I don't know... maybe stack overflow has big influence.. lol
SpiderMon68
post Apr 7 2022, 09:50 AM

Getting Started
69 posts

QUOTE(FlierMate @ Aug 26 2021, 09:35 PM)
It took me (as an old-timer) awhile to solve it. Initially I thought single loop was enough, but double loops are necessary. (See https://dotnetfiddle.net/6D78Dv, TQ for the exercise :=)

Maybe this question is too mind-boggling for frontend developers?  rclxub.gif    By all means, I am not qualified for web frontend tech stack either.
Same here, been a while since I did any programming and was a great mind puzzle to solve. After penning on paper i downloaded a lightweight C/C++ compiler on my mac to try it out for fun.

Thanks TS for nice morning puzzle. I'm also not qualified for any 'end or any 'stack, just having fun.
SUSkykylala
post Apr 8 2022, 04:50 PM

25 posts

Hey, if you guys like this kind of puzzle Leetcode has a lot of them. You can access a lot of the questions with just free account.
FlierMate
post Apr 8 2022, 08:11 PM

On my way
Validating
515 posts

QUOTE(kykylala @ Apr 8 2022, 04:50 PM)
Hey, if you guys like this kind of puzzle Leetcode has a lot of them. You can access a lot of the questions with just free account.
Post #35 had mentioned about it anyway.

SUSkykylala
post Apr 8 2022, 09:55 PM

25 posts

Oh, my bad. Didn't see that post.

QUOTE(dexeric @ Apr 6 2022, 03:44 PM)
Not sure how the backend and frontend is differentiate as i am using niche language where frontend is interactive and backend is group by cycle.

It is just a shame for them to forgo such powerful syntax...
Scared to use loop? How do they work then? Then they'll probably avoid recursion like the plague.

TS, I found this interview guide, how does it apply to the current market?
fronted guide
dexeric
post Apr 9 2022, 10:08 AM

Getting Started
82 posts

QUOTE(kykylala @ Apr 8 2022, 09:55 PM)
Scared to use loop? How do they work then? Then they'll probably avoid recursion like the plague.

fronted guide
Yes they do avoid like a plague... especially new generation
TSsilverhawk
post Apr 9 2022, 11:05 AM

I'm Positively Lustrous
Group Icon
Elite
4,537 posts

QUOTE(kykylala @ Apr 8 2022, 09:55 PM)

fronted guide
Most of the candidates I interviewed would have failed that guide as well.

I generally don't like asking questions which you can google to get the job done. After all, I don't expect people to remember all the CSS rules by heart or how the different flexbox arguments work together to build a layout.

What I look for is fundamental understanding that powers your decision making. For example, do they understand javascript's callbacks and async nature? do they understand what a virtualdom is, or why we have state management. These things affect how you write code and even what sort of questions you google to solve, and if you lack understanding you will end up googling the wrong things.
twigky
post Apr 12 2022, 08:13 AM

Getting Started
59 posts

While reading this post, feel it's could go really bad if an interview conducted by a pure manager without tech background. And it didn't get any better if conduct by a tech person interview without leadership skill.

Perhaps panel interview really the way to go.
15cm
post Apr 12 2022, 08:27 PM

Getting Started
179 posts

i asked some of my friends this question, around 4/10 of them cant answer as well, not as much as 90% la...

but they also quite defensive, they think this is leetcode tricks, not relevant to front end..
TSsilverhawk
post Apr 12 2022, 08:47 PM

I'm Positively Lustrous
Group Icon
Elite
4,537 posts

QUOTE(15cm @ Apr 12 2022, 08:27 PM)
i asked some of my friends this question, around 4/10 of them cant answer as well, not as much as 90% la...

but they also quite defensive, they think this is leetcode tricks, not relevant to front end..
So ask them if they had a json like this

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

and they had to display that data as a table, how would they do it? Assume that the columns are selectable by the user, so the result is dynamic
nyem
post Jul 7 2022, 10:03 PM

Enthusiast
746 posts

QUOTE(silverhawk @ Apr 12 2022, 08:47 PM)
So ask them if they had a json like this

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

and they had to display that data as a table, how would they do it? Assume that the columns are selectable by the user, so the result is dynamic
Not sure what you mean by dynamic, but here's my version of a table with selectable and sortable columns

Came across this javascript interview questions and I fail every single one of them bangwall.gif

Buffalo Soldier
post Jul 7 2022, 10:16 PM

Casual
413 posts

Kinda verbose, but here's my Python answer...
CODE
def reverse_print(target):
   for outer in range(target + 1, 0, -1):
       for inner in range(1, outer):
           print(inner, end="")
       print()

reverse_print(4)

9 Pages « < 5 6 7 8 9 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0222sec    0.45    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 5th February 2023 - 09:19 PM