Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Mi TV Stick (2020) vs 2nd Gen Fire TV Stick (2016), my personal reviews about these two.

views

TSakmfhm P
post Aug 19 2021, 01:40 AM, updated 3y ago

Probation
0 posts

hello,I am new here so if my forum post is not on the right topic please let me know, I will move it away quickly.
I am originally writing this as a review about Fire TV Stick 2nd Gen because I stumble across a great deal of just RM99 for The Fire TV Stick
I can't post the link here but you can search on Lelong by the seller name "deanwong"
and because I already have a Mi TV Stick,I think I should do a comparison considering that they are on the kinda same price range.

On my Lelong review I said that I prefer the Fire TV Stick more.Here is why.

Responsiveness
I found that the overall feel of the FireTV is snappier compared to MiTV Stick.I there are not much delays compared to the latter.
It is worth noting that I didn't install too much apps on these device,
on the Mi TV Stick I only have Netflix and UnifiTV installed(and YouTube,but I disabled it and only use the casting function when I want to watch YT)
while on Fire TV Stick,with all of the same apps mentioned above + the original Amazons' bloatware (such as prime,gamecircle,amazon music etc...)
All I can say is FireTV performs quite well.

Here is my overall review.[SIZE=7]

Media Casting Features
One of my concern of buying a media streaming device is the ability to cast any content that we want.
While both of them is a certified Netflix* streaming device,
Mi TV Stick has the chromecast feature built-in and not for the Fire TV Stick.
But,is it bothersome?not really,atleast for me. Here is why:
I use to watch anime all the time from *pahe and I use an app called "web video caster" to send the video streaming file to my Mi TV Stick. And this uses a format called "m3u8"
which, the Fire TV Stick didn't support.
But, I Found a workaround for this by installing the same app but the receiver version ( web video caster receiver - sideloaded using aptoide tv) and voila I can do pretty much the same on my Mi TV Stick as well.

**Other than (just FYI) if you want to cast to Youtube on fire TV (Youtube TV is sideloaded via aptoide too - idk why amazon appstore won't allow me to download it)
You just have to Link the TV with your devices and the next time you want to cast the only thing you need to do is open youtube and select your Fire TV Stick device to cast-which I think may be a bit downside for some people,considering that Chromecast feature built-in Mi TV Stick allows you to instantly open youtube and any other chromecast supported application directly wherever you are.But I am ok with that, so I will just leave it as a personal preference only.

Which one are hotter?
Frankly speaking,I didnt' do benchmarks but this is what I feel from time to time of these devices.
I could say that the Fire TV Stick is cooler compared to the latter.
But I think that is all for this part,since I didn't do any benchmarks,rather just opening YT/Netflix back and forth for several hours-that is what I have concluded

Using extra peripherals
Now,I think the Fire TV Stick is a clear winner in this matter.It support dongle for extension such as ethernet extension,it also support keyboard from remote application on phone devices.It is a bit of hassle to type using these limited remote so usually if I want to login to an app on my TV , I would connect it to my phone's remote app and use the keyboard function there,which worked for Fire TV , but not for MiTV. I am not sure why, but if you guys know something about this please let me know.
Other than that, I have tested bluetooth earphone adapter (an adaptor which converts wired earphone to wireless using a bluetooth dongle) model is UGreen Bluetooth 5.0 Audio Receiver APTX
and the quality of sound on the Fire TV Stick is seriously better,with less noise while on the other hand the Mi TV stick I could hear a lot of noise and the quality is pretty bad too honestly and I am not sure what is the reason considering that Mi TV Stick uses a slightly updated version of bluetooth 4.2 vs blueooth 4.1 on the Fire TV Stick

app store availability
although both of these is actually certified android tv,but Fire TV is run on a customized OS called FIREOS (which the backbone is from android itself)
This is where the fire TV Stick is losing its remark here.There are limited apps to choose from,and with the legacy hardware of the 2nd Gen Fire TV Stick,some of these apps become incompatible,which later I have to sideload them using third party app,which for me require a bit of workaround here and there.So if you want to grab a FireTV soon, please keep that in mind,
but weirdly enough my UnifiTV that I sideloaded from the internet on the Fire TV Stick has no bug compared to my Mi TV Stick,that doesn't show programme information everytime I open it.

[SIZE=7]SUMMARY

Overall I think it is best to say that RM99 for this 2nd Gen Mi TV stick is quiet a bargain-considering we as marhaen may have to think twice or more to spend extra +- RM50 to grab a Mi TV Stick, although if you are patience enough you may find a great deal on Lazada or Shopee which sometimes do a promo sale on Mi TV Stick- that the price may drop to around RM130 and the price could get even lower if you deduct from your own shopee coins too.

In conclusion,if you are a techsavvy,or you like to explore more,I recommend you to get the Fire TV Stick.
While if you did not know so much about tech, sticking to Mi TV Stick is already a fine option,since it is a newer hardware and we can expect some updates in the future too.

ALTHOUGH IDK BY THE TIME OF YOU READING THIS MAYBE THE FIRE TV STICK WILL RUN OUT OF STOCK SOON-IDK LOLL tongue.gif

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS. HAVE A NICE DAY rclxm9.gif

~Akmal
TSakmfhm P
post Aug 19 2021, 01:46 AM

Probation
0 posts

Please excuse my messy typing as this is my first time writing a forum on lowyat and I can't edit the post.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0186sec    0.47    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:14 PM