Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Google Drive for desktop rant, Backup and Sync replacement

views

TSxxboxx
post Aug 14 2021, 11:15 PM, updated 3y ago

The mind is for having ideas, not holding them
5,093 posts

Google is replacing it's Backup and Sync program (and Drive File Stream for enterprise user) with Drive. Some may remember prior 2018, that is the program name before it is being replaced by Backup and Sync (and Drive File Stream for enterprise user). So Google have done full circle with Drive now.

Anyways, what I'm most interested is that now it support (as Google called it) stream files. Now files can be cleared from device to free up space but downloaded whenever I need it. Something that Microsoft OneDrive already have for very long time. Even Synology Drive have the same function. This is a very useful function on my laptop with limited bandwidth when I'm on the move, as I don't need all files that newly edited on my PC to be downloaded into my laptop since the files will not be accessed in laptop.

After installing the new Drive, I realized Google implement it very differently than how Microsoft and Synology implement theirs. You either choose to stream files + make some available offline, or mirror files. I guess it makes sense if you consider it as Google taking 2 programs and joint it as 1 program.
user posted image

Mirror files option work like how Backup and Sync work. Everything is mirrored. You can't free up space, you can't even browse previous version. Right click on files give you little option, this is on .docx file
user posted image

Stream files is where the new stuff is. All files will not be available offline unless you select which files you choose to have it available offline. Opening a file, it won't keep an offline copy like how MS OneDrive and Synology Drive does it. There's no free up space. Ok, it treat it differently, not an issue. If I want it to keep a copy, I can select to make it available offline.
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

The other thing I like about cloud storage is Versioning. You can revert back to earlier version of your files in case when needed. MS OneDrive the only one that implement it the best way, you're given a list of earlier version (with date and size) and can choose to restore or download. Synology Drive same can see list of earlier version (but only with date) and only have option to download any version that you want. Google Drive on the other hand open file explorer to show the version list, with added numbering before the filename. I guess still have to stick with Drive on web browser to restore file version.

One useful thing it added is now you can see if someone else is editing Microsoft Office files, so you'll know when it is safe to edit.
user posted image

One annoying thing for me with this new Drive is, it will add as drive letter in This PC. Something that I don't find it as necessary, maybe Google want to remind how many (cloud) space used and remaining free space. Another annoying thing Drive will do is after restart or boot, it will add the drive shortcut to Quick Access. There's no option in Drive to stop it from doing this every time. I end up denying current user's write permission to Quick Access.

The taskbar icon also no more black and white icon, which previously look great BTW with my dark taskbar. Now it's the ugly square icon with triangle inside. There's no option to change the icon. When files being updated, it give a very light, hard to notice, white hue circling inside the square. Look how ugly is that icon.
user posted image
Sieg
post Aug 14 2021, 11:31 PM

★★★★★★★★★★
726 posts

same thing with google hangout > chat, it's like google hates it's user or something. Keep on making software that is worse than the previous version and then force their shit on you
frantic912
post Aug 15 2021, 12:38 AM

~ Demn ~
704 posts

how to specific only certain folder appear on our file explorer...not all folder in google drive....any ideas..?
zemega
post Aug 15 2021, 12:51 AM

On my way
698 posts

There's a page somewhere with that shows all the registry hack for more control of Google drive behaviour. Couldn't remember the link. Somewhere in Google help page

The most annoying thing to me that made me search for fine control was the behaviour of using 20% of a partition for cache. This is for files that you stream often and not related to files kept offline. With a small 500 GB drive, this is an issue for me.

I personally don't mind the drive lettering. It works well inside WSL. It becomes/mnt/g and /mnt/h in the Linux side.

Currently 'mv a b' in WSL doesn't work with Google Drive. So you couldn't compile in Google drive, not that you should. But some download automation script that use 'mv' will be broken.
TSxxboxx
post Aug 15 2021, 09:46 AM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(Sieg @ Aug 14 2021, 11:31 PM)
same thing with google hangout > chat, it's like google hates it's user or something. Keep on making software that is worse than the previous version and then force their shit on you
I guess less time spend to make it user friendly. And more on experimental stuff that forced on.

QUOTE(frantic912 @ Aug 15 2021, 12:38 AM)
how to specific only certain folder appear on our file explorer...not all folder in google drive....any ideas..?
I think can't. One way would be to make a backup of folder not on Drive, from another computer. But now it will appear in drive lettering.

QUOTE(zemega @ Aug 15 2021, 12:51 AM)
There's a page somewhere with that shows all the registry hack for more control of Google drive behaviour. Couldn't remember the link. Somewhere in Google help page

The most annoying thing to me that made me search for fine control was the behaviour of using 20% of a partition for cache. This is for files that you stream often and not related to files kept offline. With a small 500 GB drive, this is an issue for me.

I personally don't mind the drive lettering. It works well inside WSL. It becomes/mnt/g and /mnt/h in the Linux side.

Currently 'mv a b' in WSL doesn't work with Google Drive. So you couldn't compile in Google drive, not that you should. But some download automation script that use 'mv' will be broken.
Google own help page teach how to do registry hack? That's really something.

20% will be a problem if partition size is very big.

At least there should be an option to disable drive lettering for those that doesn't want it.

The thing I don't understand is why it must create pin to Quick Access every time Windows restart. I found the solution from few years ago from those that use Drive File Stream, so it means for few years already but Google doesn't want to change this behavior.
zemega
post Aug 15 2021, 11:58 AM

On my way
698 posts

This is the page, https://support.google.com/a/answer/7644837?hl=en. It's not that useful to you I guess. Apparently there's unofficial registry settings that Google drive will honour, but you have to find it.
TSxxboxx
post Aug 15 2021, 03:28 PM

5,093 posts

QUOTE(zemega @ Aug 15 2021, 11:58 AM)
This is the page, https://support.google.com/a/answer/7644837?hl=en. It's not that useful to you I guess. Apparently there's unofficial registry settings that Google drive will honour, but you have to find it.
Thanks for the link. Even this help page also limited for what Google allow to modified.
quadcube
post Aug 15 2021, 08:02 PM

Regular
1,771 posts

QUOTE(zemega @ Aug 15 2021, 11:58 AM)
good info, although might be outdated for macOS after a quick look

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0131sec    0.17    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:03 AM