Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Upstream and downstream kernel

views

TSbellfreedom
post Jul 27 2021, 11:57 PM, updated 3y ago

37 posts

May I know what the difference between upstream and downstream kernel?
FlierMate
post Aug 23 2021, 08:30 PM

On my way
Validating
543 posts

I saw you already have the answer to your question on https://unix.stackexchange.com/. Great to know someone like you are doing linux kernel upgrade! Sounds too technical for me. Good job!
kevler
post Aug 22 2023, 07:26 PM

trading in the zone
2,939 posts

The terms “upstream” and “downstream” are often used in the context of open-source software development and refer to the flow of changes and contributions in the software’s development process. These terms are not exclusive to the kernel and can be applied to various open-source projects.

1. Upstream:
• The “upstream” refers to the original source of a project or software component. It’s where the core development of the software takes place.
• Upstream developers work on the latest version of the software, add new features, fix bugs, and make improvements.
• The upstream codebase is considered the authoritative version, and distributions or downstream projects might base their work on this version.
2. Downstream:
• “Downstream” refers to projects or entities that take the upstream source code and build upon it to create their own versions or distributions of the software.
• Downstream projects often tailor the software to specific needs, modify or extend features, and may package it for specific platforms or distributions.
• Distributions, like Linux distributions, are considered downstream projects because they take the upstream Linux kernel and package it with other components to create a complete operating system.

In the context of the Linux kernel:

• Upstream Kernel:
The “upstream kernel” refers to the mainline Linux kernel maintained by the official Linux kernel community. It includes the latest features, bug fixes, and improvements that are developed by the core Linux kernel maintainers and the broader community. This is where the original development of the Linux kernel takes place.
• Downstream Kernel:
The “downstream kernel” refers to modified versions of the upstream kernel that are used by specific distributions, companies, or projects. These versions might include additional patches, drivers, or changes that are specific to their needs. For example, Linux distributions like Ubuntu, Fedora, and CentOS create their own downstream kernels by adding patches or features that cater to their users.

“upstream” refers to the original source of the software, where active development occurs, while “downstream” refers to derived projects or distributions that build upon the upstream source to create their own versions with modifications or customization.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0124sec    0.57    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:23 PM