Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Open University Malaysia (OUM) is Silencing Me, Oppression happens in university too! (University)

views

pmaxv
post Jul 25 2021, 11:21 AM

Getting Started
115 posts

QUOTE(Big_Dream @ Jul 21 2021, 03:10 AM)
For those who advised me to lodge a police report, first of all, thank you for your suggestion. I appreciate it. But I've come to accept the fact that my problems will never be reviewed by the university. My purpose of posting this is just to raise awareness of OUM's unprofessional attitude so that others will not fall victim again.
Hate to tell you this but it seems quite a number of local universities are doing this (controlling social media etc). I would blame it that the culture of suppression is still allowed here. What they could have done is acknowledge the problem openly and fix it up. But due to their huge ego, the management thinks that suppression is the way to go and the problem will just goes away on its own. And then if you look further, you would realised this is how companies/organizations works in Malaysia. That's why the country is in such a state these days.

This post has been edited by pmaxv: Jul 25 2021, 11:22 AM
yo_yo
post Jul 25 2021, 07:33 PM

Casual
329 posts

QUOTE(Big_Dream @ Jul 25 2021, 05:36 AM)
The problem is I don't know who is the HoS...
r u taking this course?

https://www.oum.edu.my/all-programmes/under...y-with-honours/
TSBig_Dream
post Jul 27 2021, 10:20 AM

Getting Started
81 posts

QUOTE(pmaxv @ Jul 25 2021, 11:21 AM)
Hate to tell you this but it seems quite a number of local universities are doing this (controlling social media etc). I would blame it that the culture of suppression is still allowed here. What they could have done is acknowledge the problem openly and fix it up. But due to their huge ego, the management thinks that suppression is the way to go and the problem will just goes away on its own. And then if you look further, you would realised this is how companies/organizations works in Malaysia. That's why the country is in such a state these days.
Yeah, I just never thought that such oppressive culture would happen in academic field as well.
TSBig_Dream
post Jul 27 2021, 10:21 AM

Getting Started
81 posts

QUOTE(yo_yo @ Jul 25 2021, 07:33 PM)
Yeah. That one.
TSBig_Dream
post Jul 27 2021, 10:22 AM

Getting Started
81 posts

QUOTE(alexis_wll @ Jul 25 2021, 11:05 AM)
I'm not sure if you are studying for diploma / degree , last time when i enrolled for degree in PJ campus i need to meet and interview by person in charge in KL campus even if pass the enrollment test.

The missing files usually happen only when submission on last minute, after that every semester submit one week before and we can printscreen the file acceptance / receipt after submission, and so far all files are good and i have graduated.
Good for you. But like I said in my post, this didn't just happen to me. It's happened to several students as well.
pmaxv
post Jul 27 2021, 08:45 PM

Getting Started
115 posts

QUOTE(Big_Dream @ Jul 27 2021, 10:20 AM)
Yeah, I just never thought that such oppressive culture would happen in academic field as well.
This is why academia can't develop in Malaysia. I'm telling you this as I'm involved with education both in overseas and local. A good uni requires open minded culture willing to accept new ideas, opinions and explore opportunities. Malaysia unfortunately does not have the right formula. I just hope your generation can change this and make this a better country. But right now there's just too much headwinds. Changing culture is hard. In fact I would say the state of education in Malaysia is in a dire straits now.

This post has been edited by pmaxv: Jul 27 2021, 08:47 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0177sec    0.85    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th July 2021 - 06:07 PM